Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 08:41 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Thank you.

It typically doesn't bother me. But this pure criminality of Sunday night really got to me.

I have many many friends who are CPD (as well as spouses) and the devestation that we all feel from this is heartwrenching. I don't know of a single Chicago resident (actually that's a lie - I know three, two live in pretty secure north side enclaves and the third is a recent college grad who moved there after graduating - a white female - who is the most pro BLM supporter there is) who doesn't have an exit plan. Most city workers are on a countdown til they can get the heck out.

It's very sad.

Most city workers?

There are about 36,000 city employees. About 1/3 earn more than $100,000/ yr.

Chicago Public Schools employ about 45,000.

Chicago Police Department employs about 15,000.

All are required to reside in the city.

Covid has decimated municipal budgets all over the US. Sales and hotel taxes are a fraction of what they were pre Covid. Where exactly are 100,000 +/- city employees going to find comparable jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 08:47 PM

17,371 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most city workers?

There are about 36,000 city employees. About 1/3 earn more than $100,000/ yr.

Chicago Public Schools employ about 45,000.

Chicago Police Department employs about 15,000.

All are required to reside in the city.

Covid has decimated municipal budgets all over the US. Sales and hotel taxes are a fraction of what they were pre Covid. Where exactly are 100,000 +/- city employees going to find comparable jobs?
Yes, most city workers I know.

I didn't think I needed to qualify that because I've been speaking about ME and MY experience in pretty personal terms in this thread, but there you go.

Most city workers I know.

Jesus H Christ on a cracker.

And most city workers I know are close to retirement and are ticking down the time til they can get the heck out.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:50 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I saw coverage on CNN and CBS.

How long were they supposed to cover it to satisfy their critics?
Most people with any common sense would say this is a much bigger issue that, say, a motorcycle rally in Sturgis. 100 arrested, multiple cops attacked, $60 million in damages I believe I read. Yet Nothing But Crap has dramatized Sturgis for the last week...and gave this virtually NO coverage. Sturgis-with zero riotiong, zero looting, zero attacks on police, just 250,000 people having a rally. The Nothing But Crap network is a national joke-as are CNN and CBS. They are propaganda outlets, not news sources.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You think you're sick - how would you feel if your office was down there? On the mag mile - struck twice.

I'm completely disgusted. Our mayor and Kim Foxx need to go with all the enabling they've done.

3 minutes of air time and how much air time did they give to the woman in Central Park who called the police on the bird watcher?
Most who work office jobs don’t work on or close to Michigan Ave. Core businesses, finance, insurance, investments, home offices, etc are SW of the Mag Mile.

Those engaged in retail, hospitality, tourism and advertising maintain offices on or near the Mag Mile. Those businesses have been in a world of hurt due to Covid. No diff than anywhere in the US.

Chicago and Orlando were tied for second place for trade shows/ conventions. Las Vegas has been #1 for decades. That business has not resumed.

OT- Heard today, Disney/ Orlando is reducing their already reduced hours And limited capacity. The “open and they will come”. strategy did not pan out. This is historically peak season for Orlando. Not in 2020. Tourism/ hospitality

Old 08-11-2020, 09:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Yes, most city workers I know.

I didn't think I needed to qualify that because I've been speaking about ME and MY experience in pretty personal terms in this thread, but there you go.

Most city workers I know.

Jesus H Christ on a cracker.

And most city workers I know are close to retirement and are ticking down the time til they can get the heck out.
Yeah. Best to just do what I do. See certain names and bypass the post without reading 99% of the time - even when I'm being quoted.

The rest of us knew what you meant.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This was probably the biggest mass looting event in American history, yet it's been treated as a relatively minor news story. Some of the "Karen" incidents have gotten more coverage.

You are probably right as it relates to looting. It is far from the largest incidents of civil unrest and property damage. Think you need to go back to the 60’s for the sheer violence.

It was a huge deal on local news, yesterday. The storms / tornados that hit many suburbs and parts of the city, yesterday, damaging miles of property and ongoing power outages now share the top local coverage.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Lil' Kim Foxx is the reason the punks are back out on the street. There were 800 arrested and she dismissed all their charges! MADNESS from the LEFT! All the time, crazy madness just like Jussie Smollet that Foxx let go too....
I am hearing 100 arrents related to this incident.

There were more than 3000 arrests 2+ months ago. As I understand it, most were released. No room in the jails and new “ guests” have to be isolated.

McCormick Place was converted to a Covid hospital. Handcuff each criminal to a bed.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:04 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
NBC and MSNBC are owned by Far Left, Biden backing Comcast. ABC is owned by Far Left, Democrat supporting Disney. CBS, CNN, PBS and the rest are no better. Turn them off.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
She said she doesn't know why her office dismissed those cases. She's in charge and she doesn't know why her staff makes the decisions they make? Right there I would have fired her.

The truth is, Soros and his organizations fund the campaigns of DA's and those DA's are very soft on crime. Their records reflect the same case dismissal. This is their way of changing the system behind the scenes.

In other words, you and I - the voter - do not really have much impact on WHO is elected. Trump was the huge surprise, but beyond that - we aren't the ones who decide that.

Guess who funded Obama? A little nobody that people in IL couldn't recognize as a state Senator, a man who has no money but enough backing to run for president? That never did make sense to me but I filed it away and later read Soros hand picked him and funded his campaign.

Obama was the keynote speaker at the 2004 Democrat Convention. He was on fires and the crowd reacted. I told my husband we were watching the guy who was going to be elected in 2008.

Soros donated $1.5 million to Obama Super PACs in 2012. On the flip side, Sheldon Adelson donated $100 million to Rimney SuperPacs. 0pocket change for both of them.

There is a huge push for judicial reform in the US. Republicans opposed it when Obama was for it and now support it because Trump does. There is a huge focus on non- violent crime.

There is a national focus on judicial and bail reform for non- violent crime. The former Governor, a Republican, put a huge emphasis on reducing the image population to cut costs. The state cost of incarceration is at the midpoint of all states- likely more than most criminals have earned in any given year. Once incarcerated, the state becomes responsible for the safety, housing, feeding, mental and physical healthcare of each inmate.

Covid requires isolation of new guests in jails and prisons. No room in the county jails, blah,blah, blah.

Kim FoxX won the primary probably on nothing more than name recognition. Hope the Republican can take her out.

None of the 100 arrested yesterday have been released. Most arrested 2 months ago were released.

The mayor made clear she expects county judges and Kim Fox do their jobs and impose consequences and stop the revolving door. Neither the mayor or police have control over county jails or the courts. Fox owns it.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine that.

I have several friends who work north of the river and it's like they have ptsd from the last few months.

A couple of friends of mine have kids who could get back home after this mess and have been camped out in their childhood bedrooms.

Imagine that .... you can't get back to your HOME because some frickin' idiots threw bowling balls through windows to get some free stuff.
That’s BS.

I can certainly appreciate some might be too afraid to return home, right now. No one, however is being prevented from accessing their residence, including north of the river. Tens of thousands of people live in high end units “ above the stores” that were destroyed. Many of them were oblivious to the chaos going on at the street level.

My husband took Metra into the city today. His office is across the street from the station, on the river. Bridge was open to auto and foot traffic. This is SW of the Mag Mile, office buildings with negligible retail.

The commuter water taxi to Michigan Ave was operating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies