Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 11:08 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Winner.

This is how you know you're old ...

Standard Oil Building

Comiskey Park

Sears Tower

Stone Container

Lying In Hospital

Audy Home

I'm sure there are more.
The Playboy Building became the Palmolive Building.

I'm so old I remember when the tallest building in Chicago was the Prudential Building (now called One Prudential Plaza). But then, I also remember Riverview and Olson Rug with the waterfall scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 11:12 AM

17,371 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The Playboy Building became the Palmolive Building.

I'm so old I remember when the tallest building in Chicago was the Prudential Building (now called One Prudential Plaza). But then, I also remember Riverview and Olson Rug with the waterfall scene.

The Magikist sign.

The S curve.

I'm going to fall down the old time rabbit hole now for the rest of the damn day ...

Old 08-12-2020, 11:12 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Why would leftist media shows something that will make Trump looks good and democrats look like a bunch of lawless anarchists?

Old 08-12-2020, 11:18 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Y'all are more worried about keeping score than the actual news.

There were riots because of another police shooting incident.

What more was there to say.

Over 100 some folks were arrested. They Mayor was fuming and vowed to hunt down the criminals.
So what? Because the police shot a man armed with a gun, it’s somehow an excuse for these lowlifes to destroy the most beautiful, high-end avenue in the city - and one of the most impressive in the country?

I sure hope Leftist Lori won’t release them without charges like the Portland mayor did. He just declared that charges will not be made against rioters.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:19 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
The Magikist sign.

The S curve.

I'm going to fall down the old time rabbit hole now for the rest of the damn day ...
Halfway through typing, I remembered the Magikist lips and by the time I was done I'd forgotten to mention it. THAT'S old!!

Yeah, I'm gonna be down that rabbit hole all day now, too.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
My knee jerk reaction is to say you're nuts ... Chicago is a world class city, a beautiful city ... in my humble opinion it has the best skyline in the US ... OF COURSE it will come back.

This feels different. The downtown area has been exceedingly safe for YEARS. Even when murder rates were higher than they are now, downtown was as safe as Mayberry. (Well, not quite, but not that far from the truth.)

Now there are daytime shootings. It's bananas.

And now to hear Navy Pier might not recover? Holy cats. I remember when the only thing over there was Baja Beach Club and Dicks - and you could find free parking. (For that matter, I remember being able to park at the the lower level of the Standard Oil building for free. Bonus points for anyone who can tell me what the current name of the place is without looking it up.)
The Navy Pier dilemma is related to Covid and has been ongoing. It is a major tourist amusement/ attraction and like all major tourist attractions everywhere in the US, it has been struggling to survive. The “ open and they will come” strategy has not worked. Disney is further reducing hours in this, the peak season. Glacier National Park area tends to sell out the summer season, months in advance. Not the case this year. Tourism is the second largest employer in Alaska. Most tourists arrive by cruise ships. Not this year.

Many projected the civil unrest associated with the violent and protracted anti-war protests at the 1968 Democrat convention was certain death of the city. They obviously were mistaken. Can’t imagine how this would have replayed had there been a 24/7 news cycle, Internet, social media and cell phones.

I have lost track of the number of times, over the years, the demise of NYC has been predicted.

There’s a limited number of US and global cities that have the economic diversity, infrastructure and transportation to survive, come what may. Chicago is one of them.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So what? Because the police shot a man armed with a gun, it’s somehow an excuse for these lowlifes to destroy the most beautiful, high-end avenue in the city - and one of the most impressive in the country?

I sure hope Leftist Lori won’t release them without charges like the Portland mayor did. He just declared that charges will not be made against rioters.
Reportedly 100 arrests were made. No idea who was arrested or what they were doing. The mayor has been clear this was “ straight up felony criminal conduct and ( Cook County) judges and the state attorney ( for Cook County) must impose consequences and stop the revolving door of criminals”.

Looting, like shop lifting, is a challenging crime to prosecute, anywhere. Shop lifting tends to be dismissed because the store fails to show in court. Looting depends on the circumstances. As I understand it, most looters walk with community service if charges are pressed, regardless of location.

Were the Police able to capture those who plowed a stolen car through store window or used bowling balls to break glass? Were they able to capture and arrest any who were firing guns into the air, at parked cars and officers? Do the police have a clue who shot a private security guard?

Or did they nab someone carrying a case of Doritos, moving too slow?

I lean towards draconian consequences. Steal and your hand gets chopped off, the wound stitched a a bottle of antibiotics. . No disability or soup for you. Obviously that won’t fly in the US.

Those charged have the right to due process, a public defender and in absence of violence a low or no bail.
The cost to prosecute and defend is just the beginning. The time/ cost of a jury trial weighs heavily on the system. Prison means the state becomes responsible for your safety, housing, food, clothing, mental, emotional and physical health for the duration.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:42 PM

12,807 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

There were riots because of another police shooting incident.

What more was there to say.

What's more to say? Don't shoot at police.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:48 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Don't worry.... whatever MSNBC / CNN / NBC / CBS / NY Times, etc has missed....

Will show up for all to see in Trump's campaign commercials.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:19 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I lean towards draconian consequences. Steal and your hand gets chopped off, the wound stitched a a bottle of antibiotics. . No disability or soup for you. Obviously that won’t fly in the US.
You want to talk about draconian? How about this: shoot looters on sight. With real bullets. I don't mean blindly shoot willy-nilly into a crowd. Instead, look inside a store that's in the process of being looted. Everyone inside that store is either a looter or an accomplice. No one is an "alleged" criminal in there; they're all criminals in the process of committing a crime. Being caught in the act of looting should merit swift, harsh justice.

To whoever would clutch their pearls and caterwaul about "lives are more important than stuff," I would answer that it's not just "stuff." It's the shop owner's blood, sweat, and tears to build his business. It's the livelihoods of the employees. It's the economic survival of the entire city. Looters are, in a broad sense, murderers. And they should be dealt with accordingly. Shoot to kill each and every one of them.

When the word of this gets out, maybe people will think twice before they go on a looting spree again. And maybe we can save our country from the domestic enemies who are trying to destroy it.

For precedence, one need look no farther than San Francisco, circa 1906:

http://www.sfmuseum.org/1906.2/killproc.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies