Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it okay for white people to say "capping?"
No: I am woke and white people should be excluded from slang that black people have used 4 4.76%
No: But white people should also get a list of words that is protected that other races can't use 2 2.38%
Yes: This is just Leftist Intolerance and Racism run amok 77 91.67%
Unsure 1 1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 09:19 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
More illogical nonsense.

"Honey" is slang for a term of endearment.

You wouldn't ask another man to apologize if he called his own wife "honey." You would only be upset if someone called your wife honey, because of your relationship to her and what the word means. Context is important.

Cap means to lie. She said he ex-boyfriend (who is also white) lied. Why should anyone take offense to that outside of her ex-boyfriend or someone direct to her ex-boyfriend?
I'm sorry if you can't see the point. I know you from your posts to be a pretty descent person.

Have you ever watched Grand Torino? There is a seen with a white boy trying to act like he is black and that he all cool with them.
The blacks of course don't accept his fake BS even a little.

Walt the racist pig that he is, got it and why. It was insulting to have that white boy pretend to understand what they were about, as if he had any iota of a clue...

I raised my son, but never for one moment do I pretend to get how it feels to be him. I watch him interact with his black friends and see him change gears. I get it. I do that with my Vet friends and shooting buddies, lol who are Vets.

Let's try something else. If a Sailor calls me Squid, or makes a gay joke about sailors out at sea, or makes fun of the type of ship I was on, I laugh. If a Marine does it, I laugh, if a soldier or an Airman do it, I can laugh. If a civilian who never served does it? I don't laugh, they didn't earn the right to tease me about my service. If a civilian calls me Swabbie, or squid or any sailor nick names, I either ignore them or confront them. They didn't earn it, they dont get to do it with me. What I never do is let them feel ok about it.

Another thing. Slang. In the military we have a lot of slang that we get. When a civilian does it they just sound stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 09:46 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Look. Like I said use some words at your own risk. I have a friend who playfully calls his wife Bi&ch. I wouldn't recommend anyone else do it.

I have friends who call their wives honey, dear, babe, etc. I wouldn't recommend a strange man walk up and use those words.

The same is true of using racially charged words. Blacks can may call each other (Negro, or Ni&&a or Ni&&er, but I wouldn't recommend a white person do it. I mean he can and his black friends might tolerate it. I say tolerate for a good reason, because whites have no business using those words. Not with the history behind them.

My son never said, "hey pops, we tight, just call me negro, or Ni$$a." That boy loves me like I am a god to him, just told me that this morning as a matter of fact. He said "pops to me you are like god, thank you for not killing me all those times you wanted to." LOL. I love my boy and thats why I don't use those words. I am no slave owner, slave handler, or bigot that thinks he is an animal. He is my son, he is better than me in almost every way.

Use those words carefully, a white man calling a black those words can and should result in a violent response.
You make a good point. Father Michael Pfleger of Chicago might be another white man who can use black colloquialisms without sounding forced or fake, but that's because he lives and works in a majority black community/congregation (St Sabina's Church) and has credibility with the community.

Last edited by silverkris; 08-13-2020 at 10:42 PM..

Old 08-13-2020, 09:57 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
A celebrity was criticized for using the word "capping," which has been slang for decades for lying.
I've never heard the term, but there's no reason anyone shouldn't be allowed to say it.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:02 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
I've never heard the term, but there's no reason anyone shouldn't be allowed to say it.
I never heard the term either. My son pretty much speaks slang free English when we are together. He doesn't drop the F bomb every other word either. Well not when his mother is around anyway. LOL

My wife is Asian, very formal, very traditional and well educated. She is very intolerant of gutter talk and slang.

Just because you feel the right to say a word doesn't always mean that it is appropriate or that you should.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:10 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,783,666 times
This language policing is so odd to me.

I grew up in a large city. I was in my teens before I knew ni99er referred to people who are black. Didn't know any Spanish at b the time to make a connection to negro.

Talked with friends a few years ago about the sudden offensiveness of the word. One said "We were all ni99ers at one time or another. We took turns." We were a mixture of races, my group of friends.

To me, the popularity of rap music changed our usage of the term.

Old 08-13-2020, 10:39 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
I never heard the term either. My son pretty much speaks slang free English when we are together. He doesn't drop the F bomb every other word either. Well not when his mother is around anyway. LOL
I've always thought that was a caricatured stereotype of certain Italian Americans in the Tri-State Area, rather than pertaining to African Americans. You know, Tony Soprano.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:22 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,428,407 times
If I had nutty social-justice sensibilities, I would be outraged at non-Southerners saying "y'all." And I hear it a lot. But since I'm sane, and not seeking outrage every moment, I let it go.

Old 08-13-2020, 11:32 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
I couldnt care less if white people want to use ghetto slang.

I'm more concerned with asshats going around telling people what they can or can't say.

Last edited by Chowhound; 08-13-2020 at 11:42 PM..

Old 08-14-2020, 05:14 AM

26,489 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if you can't see the point. I know you from your posts to be a pretty descent person.

Have you ever watched Grand Torino? There is a seen with a white boy trying to act like he is black and that he all cool with them.
The blacks of course don't accept his fake BS even a little.

Walt the racist pig that he is, got it and why. It was insulting to have that white boy pretend to understand what they were about, as if he had any iota of a clue...

I raised my son, but never for one moment do I pretend to get how it feels to be him. I watch him interact with his black friends and see him change gears. I get it. I do that with my Vet friends and shooting buddies, lol who are Vets.

Let's try something else. If a Sailor calls me Squid, or makes a gay joke about sailors out at sea, or makes fun of the type of ship I was on, I laugh. If a Marine does it, I laugh, if a soldier or an Airman do it, I can laugh. If a civilian who never served does it? I don't laugh, they didn't earn the right to tease me about my service. If a civilian calls me Swabbie, or squid or any sailor nick names, I either ignore them or confront them. They didn't earn it, they dont get to do it with me. What I never do is let them feel ok about it.

Another thing. Slang. In the military we have a lot of slang that we get. When a civilian does it they just sound stupid.
I can't see your point because you are comparing apples to oranges.

Of course you shouldn't call black people the N word.

Of course you shouldn't call women the B word.

Of course some other man shouldn't call your wife honey.

Of course you shouldn't insult people for being in the Navy if you are outside the Navy.

Capping is just a word for lying. "Capping" has ZERO derogatory connotations about any group of people. It has none of the derogatory implications of the above.

Look at it this way.

"O.K., Ok, or Okay" is the most used and most understood word on earth. People use it in Asia. People use it in Africa. People use it in South America. People use it all over. It is slang. Slang started by white people. Should we start demanding apologies from non-white people who use it and non-white people to delete posts where they have used it for culturally appropriating the slang word "okay" - or would that be ridiculous and offensive?

If someone tried to compare using the slang word "okay" to the word "Cracker" you would roll your eyes. See above, because I roll my eyes when you compare using the slang word "capping" to using the N word. LOL started by white people. Let's enforce that. No that would be racist and asinine, just like it is racist and asinine to enforce racial restrictions for those who can say "capping."

You might think it is tacky to use inoffensive slang made popular by a different race like "capping." But you shouldn't be forced to apologize and delete posts if you do.

Think about how ridiculous this is. DesertDetroiter denied that people were saying white people can't use the word capping, because it is asinine and absurd to suggest that someone can't use slang based on race. DesertDetroiter can't even tell what is real and what is fake on his own political side in the year 2020 - he is apparently too sane for the woke mob and doesn't realize just how insane many of them are becoming. People are going nuts. People are becoming extreme. Boneyard1962, what you should be doing is saying that you won't tolerate the extremists using race to limit basic vocabulary and of course it is a one way street.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:09 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
I know we are not allowed to say the N word.

but with what we see on tv, do you think some of the rioters have deserved and earned that word? I don't mean black people necessarily, but white people too. Anyone who is so low like perhaps those who shot the babies, and the ones who knocked the old lady down and hit her head on the fire hydrant, and those who looted a man's store when he was there pleading for them to not rob him and they said no. and some other ones, including some politicians who are evil. I think evil people like Epstein would deserve that.. or some other really nasty evil people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies