Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it okay for white people to say "capping?"
No: I am woke and white people should be excluded from slang that black people have used 4 4.76%
No: But white people should also get a list of words that is protected that other races can't use 2 2.38%
Yes: This is just Leftist Intolerance and Racism run amok 77 91.67%
Unsure 1 1.19%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 04:55 PM

26,476 posts, read 15,060,677 times

Advertisements

A celebrity was criticized for using the word "capping," which has been slang for decades for lying.

Why?

Because she is white. Apparently it is woke to be a Verbal SEGREGATIONIST by limiting what slang people can say due to the color of their skin.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainm...?ocid=msedgntp

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Capping

The urban dictionary does not show it has any racial undertones...it is just apparently cultural appropriation for a white person to use the term.

She has apologized and deleted the tweet.

I can understand why white people shouldn't use the N word and I don't use it, but white people can't say "capping" which isn't derogatory towards any group. It is merely slang for lying.

If this is the route that leftists are going, are there words that only white people can say? Or is that racist?

Last edited by michiganmoon; 08-12-2020 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 05:05 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
I think any white person using phrases created by the black community is ridiculous, but that's me. I cringe the same way I do when someone from Scotland looks at me and asks, 'Capisce?' as though they're Italian.

I'm fairly certain black people mock them for trying too hard.

Didn't we all cringe when Biden said, 'You ain't black'? And that's not even a word created by the black community, that's just American slang.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:08 PM

834 posts, read 743,747 times
I don't even know what capping means or why I would use it.

Of course this is the left being crazy, but I judge white people over the age of 25 who use contemporary African American slang terms to sound a certain way, unless they grew up in the hood or were adopted by a black family. :/

Old 08-12-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I think any white person using phrases created by the black community is ridiculous, but that's me. I cringe the same way I do when someone from Scotland looks at me and asks, 'Capisce?' as though they're Italian.

Didn't we all cringe when Biden said, 'You ain't black'? And that's not even a word created by the black community, that's just American slang.
We cringed when Biden said that, because it is racist and demeaning to tell people that they aren't their actual race unless they vote for your party, because your party owns their votes.

Do you cringe if a black person says slang started by a white person? Should that black person apologize and limit their vocabulary?

Are you really fine with her being attacked over saying an inoffensive word?

Old 08-12-2020, 05:11 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,277 times
Regardless of source, I think we would all be better off if we refrained from using language that impugns another’s personal dignity. That means not using racially-charged language.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:12 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post

And when black people use phrases created by the white community?

Old 08-12-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
Regardless of source, I think we would all be better off if we refrained from using language that impugns another’s personal dignity. That means not using racially-charged language.
It isn't racially charged.

Capping does not imply any race.

She, a white girl, said that her ex-boyfriend, also white, was lying.

Explain to me how this was racially charged?

The word has been around for slang to mean lying for over a century. It seems to have started possibly with whites and then blacks made it more mainstream in recent decades.

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
We cringed when Biden said that, because it is racist and demeaning to tell people that they aren't their actual race unless they vote for your party, because your party owns their votes.

Do you cringe if a black person says slang started by a white person? Should that black person apologize and limit their vocabulary?

Are you really fine with her being attacked over saying an inoffensive word?
Are they being attacked or mocked? Attacking I'm not in favor of. Mocking I would understand.

The English language is for everyone. Black culture has their own language. I just think white people trying to sound black are ridiculous. Be who you are.

I have the same problem with white rappers. I just laugh....

If you're talking about a twitch hunt with people demanding an apology - they can take a hike.

5,978 posts, read 2,233,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
A celebrity was criticized for using the word "capping," which has been slang for decades for lying.

Why?

Because she is white. Apparently it is woke to be a Verbal SEGREGATIONIST by limiting what slang people can say due to the color of their skin.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainm...?ocid=msedgntp

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Capping

The urban dictionary does not show it has any racial undertones...it is just apparently cultural appropriation for a white person to use the term.

She has apologized and deleted the tweet.

I can understand why white people shouldn't use the N word and I don't use it, but white people can't say "capping" which isn't derogatory towards any group. It is merely slang for lying.

If this is the route that leftists are going, are there words that only white people can say? Or is that racist?
Really? Someone better tell Twitch streamers, Instagram users, and Youtube posters under 30, because it is used by everyone from what I can tell.

Perhaps that person was cappin with that rational for why they deleted the tweet.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:17 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,401 times
Here's my reply. Who cares? All this racism and sexism talk is getting boring. Don't get me wrong it IS important that we talk about these issues with the hopes of raising everyone's awareness. That's great! But there are limits.

I'll give you an example. Let's say racism is equivalent to the best rock song ever written. I'm an old guy so I'll use Stairway to Heaven as an example. Racism and sexism, great topics...Stairway to Heaven, great song.

So let's say you turn on the radio in the morning and the only song playing over and over and over again is Stairway to Heaven all day long. It's still a great song but people get sick and tired of hearing it!!!! The same thing is happening with the racism and sexism topic. Please make it stop and change the channel. Where's the remote LOL. Let's talk about ANYTHING except racism and sexism for awhile. Let's give it a break and move on!

And the Democrats don't realize it but it WILL effect the outcome of the election. Americans are absolutely brow beaten to death on racism so much so they'll vote for Trump just to spite the Democrats. What originally started as a rallying point for the left is now background noise for the rest of it because a good number of us are drowning it out.

I know the left doesn't want to hear this and my god it's so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies