Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 01:50 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times

Advertisements

The country is going to have Weimar-levels of Inflation if this is implemented. The inflation of the 70s might seem like a joke if Kamala Harris fantasy is implemented.

She wants to do a tsunami of spending against declining industrial production and declining labor supply.

She proposes an amazing fantasy but sadly that what it is. It's nothing more than pandring and lies from possibly the phoniest politician elected in world history

Really? $12,000 stimulus, $10,000 a month for a family of 5 until 3 months after the pandemic is completely over, $20,000 to college graduates for debt, refundable tax credits after 30% of income similar to section 8.

I initially thought it was a joke the $12,000 stimulus proposal along with $10,000 a month for a family of 5

Here proposal is here, Senator Kamala Harris and Ed Markey of Massachusetts are sponsering it.

https://twitter.com/EdMarkey/status/1290707899375849472

Looks like she is co-sponsering a $12,000 a stimulus and for a family of 5 she is proposing $10,000 a month for the duration of the pandemic and then three months after that.

She also wants give $20,000 to college graduates to pay down student loans, which would be a fortune.

Kamala Harris "Rent relief Act" would provide a tax credit for those paying more than 30% of their income in rent.

She released a universal health care plan but she wouldn't go into details how it would be paid. Universal Medicare would be $3 trillion a year over a decade (at the very, very least). The least she could do is let people decide and give American voters the numbers so they can make a decision, rather then a line campaign speech.

https://www.housingfinance.com/polic...r-tax-credit_o

https://www.harris.senate.gov/imo/me...Act%207.19.pdf

https://heavy.com/news/2020/08/covid...tive-payments/

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/31/kama...mplicated.html

https://www.newsweek.com/kamala-harr...l-cost-1451633

Last edited by lovecrowds; 08-13-2020 at 02:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 02:38 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Wow. I just took a look at one of her massive giveaway programs - the rent relief - and what she will do is have poor people able to move into luxury apartments going for 50% MORE than the fair market value, and get it for a song - with taxpayers paying the rest.

Let’s say the fair market value for a one-bedroom apartment in my area is $1600, and I am a cashier at Target earning $24,000 a year, or $2000 a month. I could rent a luxury apartment that costs $2400 a month - for $650 a month!

Or what about a more expensive city, where a one-bedroom has a fair market value of $2000. That means I could rent a luxury apartment for $3,000 a month - with a doorman, an exercise facility, a media room, a pool on the roof - for the same $650 a month.

Or I’m a cashier at McDonalds, earning only $1500 a month. Now I can get that $3000 luxury apartment in the sky for just $500 a month!

This way, cashiers from Target and McDonald’s workers get to enjoy the same luxury living as the professional college graduate who made sacrifices to get where they are - only able to afford luxury living after a decade on the job (and have to pay full price of course). Equality!

Lord save us if they win.

P.S. With the federal government picking up most of the cost for rent, the rents will skyrocket. That will mean that the professionals who don’t qualify for rent subsidies will be unable to afford the luxury apartments - while they Target cashiers will. Same thing happened with Obamacare.

Last edited by Rachel976; 08-13-2020 at 02:49 AM..

Old 08-13-2020, 03:03 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Well on the bright side thanks to digital money you won't need a wheel barrow to carry your lunch money in.

The Libs are completely insane at this point.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:28 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
I cannot belive these people are allowed to do this. This is so incredibly bizarre.

Old 08-13-2020, 05:27 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
What Rachel said: No apparent controls for appropriate housing.

I get it. In some cities appropriate housing cost is out of control. Some of this is caused by housing units being unoccupied investments.

Pretty easy fix to this:
1) Drastically increase the base rate property tax of said dwelling.
2) Apply drastically increased homestead exemption credit to whomever is occupying the dwelling. No occupant= no credit.

State issue really.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:21 AM

1,066 posts, read 629,021 times
I don’t get it myself. If someone can’t afford to live somewhere, move out. Let the person who can afford it move in. It’s not a state issue, it’s just an issue that the people can’t afford somewhere they want to be.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:26 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I don’t get it myself. If someone can’t afford to live somewhere, move out. Let the person who can afford it move in. It’s not a state issue, it’s just an issue that the people can’t afford somewhere they want to be.
Not that simple. You do have a case of quite a bit of correlation of where jobs are and high rents. It is not 1:1 obviously.

Lots of cheap housing in East Banjo AR. Not many jobs either. "just move" often would result in loss of social support systems. (Like grandma watching the kids for free)

Old 08-13-2020, 09:30 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
So can I retire, sell my old money pit house and get a luxury rental cheap?

Old 08-13-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
What Rachel said: No apparent controls for appropriate housing.

I get it. In some cities appropriate housing cost is out of control. Some of this is caused by housing units being unoccupied investments.

Pretty easy fix to this:
1) Drastically increase the base rate property tax of said dwelling.
2) Apply drastically increased homestead exemption credit to whomever is occupying the dwelling. No occupant= no credit.

State issue really.
Yup. And why did Harris say the massive taxpayer subsidies can be applied to apartments that are 50% ABOVE fair market rates? I’m opposed in any event, but why not say that poor people will only have to pay 30% of their income to rent as long as they limit themselves to apartments 25% BELOW the average rent? In what world does Harris think poor people who can barely afford an average price apartment gets to rent an above-average luxury apartment for peanuts, and one which an average owner can’t afford? The poor will be living higher and fancier than average-earning people!

Also, it will make the price of houses crash. People with modest incomes who could afford to buy a starter home will now likely choose to rent a gorgeous, upscale apartment for a a fraction of what they’d have to pay in a mortgage. The impact will be felt all the way up.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So can I retire, sell my old money pit house and get a luxury rental cheap?
Only if you can keep your income low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies