Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2020, 09:44 AM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Are you a libertarian?
Small l, yeah. I don’t have much use for the party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 09:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
For starters, the media has become a monopoly, so I would first start by breaking them apart. Next, the media is supposed to be non biased, so we need an investigation to weed out any CEO's, editors or journalists who have actual relations or records of sponsorship of politicians. But this is going to be difficult because our agencies like the FBI and CIA work for those same corrupt politicians.
It would be next to impossible to weed out all the 'bad elements'...its really at a point where the entire system needs to come down and start over from scratch. I will say the FBI are a huge part of the problem, so they need to go right away.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:53 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Small l, yeah. I don’t have much use for the party.
I don't get that small l, big L distinction?

From observation, it's a convoluted political philosophy & faith-based quasi religion & far removed from reality-based.

Old 08-15-2020, 09:58 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryclaire View Post
fyi...only liberals or deranged people promote violence
Is that what Sean Hannity says on on Fox New?

Old 08-15-2020, 09:59 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,622 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
For starters, the media has become a monopoly, so I would first start by breaking them apart. Next, the media is supposed to be non biased, so we need an investigation to weed out any CEO's, editors or journalists who have actual relations or records of sponsorship of politicians. But this is going to be difficult because our agencies like the FBI and CIA work for those same corrupt politicians.
No it isn't.

"The media" can have whatever biases they wish. Like the Chronicle of Higher Education, for example, is very biased toward higher education.

Field and Stream is very biased toward hunters and fishermen.

It's when we don't immediately recognize that we're reading biased information, or we decide it's NOT biased when it really is, or vice versa, that's the problem.

Or when we insist on consuming ONLY information that's biased to our way of thinking.

Some people, though, have no ability to smell a lie.

(And that's why, when most of us read through our facebook feed, we can immediately see which "articles" are actually from satire publications, although many people don't seem to have that ability to discern truth just by looking at it).

Old 08-15-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Personally, the media is more like a Oligopoly, as is almost every other American industrial sector:

"Oligopoly is a market structure with a small number of firms, none of which can keep the others from having significant influence. The concentration ratio measures the market share of the largest firms. A monopoly is one firm, duopoly is two firms and oligopoly is two or more firms. There is no precise upper limit to the number of firms in an oligopoly, but the number must be low enough that the actions of one firm significantly influence the others."

Quote:
KEY TAKEAWAYS
  • Oligopoly is when a small number of firms collude, either explicitly or tacitly, to restrict output and/or fix prices, in order to achieve above normal market returns.
  • Economic, legal, and technological factors can contribute to the formation and maintenance, or dissolution, of oligopolies.
  • The major difficulty that oligopolies face is the prisoner's dilemma that each member faces, which encourages each member to cheat.
  • Government policy can discourage or encourage oligopolistic behavior, and firms in mixed economies often seek government blessing for ways to limit competition.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/o/oligopoly.asp

Old 08-15-2020, 10:16 AM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I don't get that small l, big L distinction?

From observation, it's a convoluted political philosophy & faith-based quasi religion & far removed from reality-based.
Small l would be someone who goes about their day living libertarianish values in an unobtrusive way. Big L Libertarians are the more political types, the guys at Cato and Reason and in the Libertarian Party. The latter are the types I tend to stay away from.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:20 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,661,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
What a disgusting, disrespectful comment to all skilled tradesmen whose livelihoods have been impacted by illegal immigration.
Sorry dude, skilled tradesmen are never replaced by illegal immigration, but hacks that call themselves tradesmen can rot in he## for all I care.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
This sort of dehumanizing quality is why we can’t have nice things.

No wonder politics gets so nasty. Whe you don’t even fundamentally see the humanity of the other folks, you are capable of a lot more meanness.
Wholeheartedly agree. Historical evidence supports.

Old 08-15-2020, 10:26 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It would be next to impossible to weed out all the 'bad elements'...its really at a point where the entire system needs to come down and start over from scratch. I will say the FBI are a huge part of the problem, so they need to go right away.
I disagree with you about the FBI. They have zero ability to charge anyone or issue an arrest warrant. Charges are signed off on by the DOJ. If people aren't being charged or the wrong people are, you need to squarely put the blame where it lies... the AG and, to some extent, the president. Honestly, at this moment I have no idea what is going on with the AG, he should be charging people left and right and he isn't. I suspect he is just as corrupt and duplicitous as the rest of the "republicans".

Eyes on the prize people. No more supporting people who claim to be conservatives but act very differently.

Liberals had it right. We, conservatives / American people, need to weaponize these institutions. They way to do that is to hire a bunch of loyal solders.

If the republican party had a brain in its head it would

- establish scholarships for white men (you can find some local reason for it) for law school / journalism.
- encourage graduates to go for the power positions,
- use alumni to hire more,
- push the value and quality of "alternative institutions" -- dump on Harvard and praise Boston College.
- hire only from these alternative institutions.

And on and on and on. We must be as rabid as the liberal elements and vigilant.

This kind of long term investment will secure our country. Not electing one man.

I have a boss who is not white. Though he does a great act, he is constantly hiring people who are not white, getting them jobs, dropping everything to offer them references... you can even see him get excited about anyone who isn't white. Until conservatives value people who think like them and push them forward... we will never have our country back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies