Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 08:33 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
In my area, they have been delivering two meals a day via school bus all summer long to kids. Additionally, there is a plethora of food service programs, both cooked and bulk food. The local veterans organization delivers food to those who are unable to get it themselves and there are people delivering meals to the hotels where they have housed the homeless population. When the mandatory social distancing order went into place, one of the local food programs switched from cafeteria-style hot meals to a drive through model (rain or shine, they were out there passing out food.)
My area is doing all those things, too. I've increased my contributions/donations to our local charities' food pantries because the need is greater. I like the idea of food handouts instead of Food Stamps, etc., because the food pantries only acquire or accept for donation, healthy foods. SO much better than letting Food Stamp recipients load up on sugary soda, chips, processed convenience foods, etc.

21,139 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Maybe children should learn the consequences of irresponsible parenting.

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
When i was little, my mom packed a sandwich, chips, and a drink in my lunch box.

Are parents so poor that they cannot even pack a cheap lunch anymore?
Drugs, alcohol, video game systems, and other luxuries cost money and are more important than feeding kids.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:36 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Why is nobody asking 'who are these horrible parents?'
Can we get some sterilization with that happy meal?
Or is this big gubment lies?
What kind of parents would have children they can’t afford?

Old 08-13-2020, 08:37 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
When i was little, my mom packed a sandwich, chips, and a drink in my lunch box.

Do you remember what kind of lunch box you had?

I guess I was lucky in elementary school we got to walk home for lunch and mom always had us something ready, soup and sandwich or chicken pot pie was my favorite.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:38 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:

Now, the school "food police" would probably take that lunch away, and replace it with the school lunch. Because it contained no fruit and no vegetable. Was the drink milk? If not...unacceptable. And they'd send your parents a bill for the school lunch.

They tried that in a neighboring district...examined and took away the packed lunches from home if they didn't contain fruit, dairy, or a vegetable. Parents raised a royal ruckus about that, let me tell you. They never dared try that at the school where I work.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:38 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:

Lazy and/or greedy/gluttonous. Greedy/gluttonous, you say? Yep. The parents on Food Stamps get benefits for their kids, too, even though the kids are eating 2 or more free meals at/from school each day. So what happens to all those extra Food Stamps? The parents buy more food than they need and either the parents or the parents and kids overeat.

The USDA itself admits that those on Food Stamps, as a group, have a much higher obesity rate than everyone else. That includes even kids.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:40 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Free everything. Next- free life planning with requirements

Old 08-13-2020, 08:44 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
The schools promote it, too!

When my kids were little we were poor. Qualified for lunch and breakfast programs. But I managed well, cooked from scratch, while in college and working, and wouldn't sign them up. We didn't *need* it.

I was angry. This stupidity ended up at the school board. And if course the school staff took getting reprimanded out on my children.

Homeschool. It's actually less expensive than free public schooling, too

The school signed them up anyway. Without my okay. Staff actually made fun of my kids' sandwiches, on homemade bread, in front of them and others.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:45 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Lazy and/or greedy/gluttonous. Greedy/gluttonous, you say? Yep. The parents on Food Stamps get benefits for their kids, too, even though the kids are eating 2 or more free meals at/from school each day. So what happens to all those extra Food Stamps? The parents buy more food than they need and either the parents or the parents and kids overeat.

The USDA itself admits that those on Food Stamps, as a group, have a much higher obesity rate than everyone else. That includes even kids.
They trade them for cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies