Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 09:05 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You got chips? My mother put in a banana....and told me it was dessert.
I wasn't poor growing up, but I got a Bologna sandwich and an apple for lunch most days.

Quote:
But to your point: true. You can buy a loaf of sliced bread for $3, a few cans of tuna for another $3, a package of turkey slices for another $4, and a big bag of chips for $2.50. For $12 you have 8 - 10 lunches, at least. Parents can’t use their food stamps for $10 worth of school lunches?
With very little effort and money, you can feed yourself and your family very inexpensively and eat good, healthy food. However, most of these Welfare Queens are just lazy, often obese and just don't care about their kids.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:09 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Great! How many are you volunteering to take in?
Well I already took in two. How about you.
Id be willing to foster if I didnt work 40 hours a weak to take care of what I have. Dont think I'd qualify being single and working full time.
Are you for leaving kids in neglectful abusive homes where they are going hungry because parents buy booze and drugs or get tattoos and piercings before feeding their children.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:10 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Now, the school "food police" would probably take that lunch away, and replace it with the school lunch. Because it contained no fruit and no vegetable. Was the drink milk? If not...unacceptable. And they'd send your parents a bill for the school lunch.

They tried that in a neighboring district...examined and took away the packed lunches from home if they didn't contain fruit, dairy, or a vegetable. Parents raised a royal ruckus about that, let me tell you. They never dared try that at the school where I work.
Well, we had baloney sammiches, ham sammiches, and at 10:00 we had recess. you could get a handful of penny candy which now costs more (pretzel rods, etc). the milkman delivered pint size bottles of milk which they put on the radiator to warm it and it was good (but now warm milk - ugh).

We either carried our lunches in a brown bag or the fun lunchboxes we bought at the store.. cartoon characters on it usually!

wow maybe we had an apple, but no juice boxes coz they were not invented yet. but maybe juice or something in a thermos.

when we went on school trips that's when we packed a brown paper bag lunch with a pop like Coke.

we ate at our desks in Catholic grammar school, we didn't have a school nurse, nor a psychologist, nor a policeman, nor a security guard, nor metal detectors, but we had nuns and a librarian. We did just fine.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
We don't even readily know what "food welfare" (WIC, SNAP, whatever) benefits are provided.

Just at the Fed level, you can get $450/mo for a family of 4. That's not much -
$1.25/person/3 meals a day.

If in school, those kids will get 2 meals/day
Where I am, we have "Backpack Buddies" which sends a kid home each weekend with more than enough for them to eat (usually 2-3 people).

That's just trying to understand the ACTUAL programs that benefit those eligible.

That's not the problem.

The problem is the Ilhan Omar's of the country/world that - rather than determining the need - would rather institute a one-size-fits-all-and-the-government-makes-you-participate "solution".

In America, we're at ~1/3 children who get free and reduced lunch. So they want a program to apply to ALL children, with the only plausible explanation they don't want the 1/3 to be stigmatized. They want to effectively spend 3x what's needed for this.

Now, I'm sure there are some ***hole parents who teach their kids to look down their nose at the "poor kids". They've got to be a VERY small %. My kids have spent a combined 23 years in public school, in high-income schools (with low-income kids assigned) and never is there any stigma. All the kids know is some go through the line and have a card (and ALL kids have a card/PIN #).
I agree. In my district at the elementary school level all students got free breakfast and lunch regardless of hh income.
I'm not against free/reduced school lunches for those in need but to say children are starving or going hungry without them? I'm getting tired of hearing that with all the various food banks and SNAP in my area.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:15 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
Don't forget, there are lots of Illegal Alien kids in our public school who receive these free meals and depend on them. All thanks to the generous involuntary homeowners and renters who pick up the tab via mandatory high property tax, which most of it, goes to the school district. Property tax should not support schools, especially when one doesn't have kids. So, yeah, again, we taxpayers get screwed. Especially those single individuals with no kids. Not a fan of supporting other children if their own parents cant do it themselves.
Local news spoke with a kid with an accent. He said his family saved a lot of money because school feeds them 3 squares, they dont even go home u til after dinner. Most likely illegal, but besides point, I shouldnt be feeding the neighbors so they can save money.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:15 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
the world must look at America and see all the free stuff like food that we get, and meanwhile they don't even have one dollar to buy some rice for the day.

People receiving free lunches have to have certain things to be a good lunch, but im sure the starving people all over the world would gladly accept those.

so that person complaining about $450 for a family of four, i know some people in India that would feel that is a royal feast.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Well, we had baloney sammiches, ham sammiches, and at 10:00 we had recess. you could get a handful of penny candy which now costs more (pretzel rods, etc). the milkman delivered pint size bottles of milk which they put on the radiator to warm it and it was good (but now warm milk - ugh).

We either carried our lunches in a brown bag or the fun lunchboxes we bought at the store.. cartoon characters on it usually!

wow maybe we had an apple, but no juice boxes coz they were not invented yet. but maybe juice or something in a thermos.

when we went on school trips that's when we packed a brown paper bag lunch with a pop like Coke.

we ate at our desks in Catholic grammar school, we didn't have a school nurse, nor a psychologist, nor a policeman, nor a security guard, nor metal detectors, but we had nuns and a librarian. We did just fine.
Yes. Mom would wrap our soda in aluminum foil to keep it cool. No ice packs or insulated lunch bags. One of the rare occasions we got soda.
Now I feel old.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:16 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
My parents divorced when I was very young and my mom struggled to make ends meet my entire childhood. Despite that fact I was handed a sack every morning with a sandwich, a piece of fruit, and a container of juice, or 25 cents for a container of milk. It was my mom’s last activity of the evening on every single school night: making our lunches. I can’t imagine parents too lazy or careless with their money to not budget for a measly sandwich and an apple or a banana for their child. It’s beyond my capability to be understanding on this point. There are a myriad of pantries and kitchens where one can obtain food. Nobody in America is starving to death. It’s just inexcusable behavior of a parent to be so careless with their child’s nutrition.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:21 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Why is nobody asking 'who are these horrible parents?'
Can we get some sterilization with that happy meal?
Or is this big gubment lies?
I knew such a kid. He used to hang out with my son in hopes of being invited to sit with us for dinner.

His mother was young, single, a drop-out, but held a steady minimum-wage job. Try has hard as she could, she always ran out or money before she ran out of month. If one of her bald tires blew out, buying a new tire was enough to make both her and her son go hungry until the next paycheck came.

And she always went hungry first. When her pantry was bare, it was completely empty. It was just the two of them, and her boy was still too young to work regularly at age 12.
But he was constantly knocking on the neighborhood doors, looking for whatever odd job he could do, willing to take whatever was offered for payment.

So we never minded eating a little light once in a while to give that kid dinner. The school lunch program was keeping him from starving, but it wasn't enough by itself to keep him healthy and growing.

Last edited by banjomike; 08-13-2020 at 09:34 AM..

Old 08-13-2020, 09:22 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Also, funny how their family could be planning to have less kids, but a certain set of people want to deny that ability. That is just rich.
So, these people who want to deny other people the opportunity to have fewer kids, how does that work? Do they break into people's houses and force them to have sex with each other? Or do they stand guard over the condom aisle at the drug store, letting no one pass unless they can prove that they already have at least four kids?

Seriously, no one in any position of legal authority is trying to prevent anyone else from not having children. They're just saying that they don't feel like paying for the other peoples' preferred means of birth control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies