Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2020, 12:06 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
So the world has to sit at home because of her irrational fear? Ultimately there are several groups that are back to work now. All with much more contact with the public that could infect them.

- Doctors,
- Dentists,
- Police,
- Court Staff,
- Lawyers,
- Prison guards,
- Veterinarians

For the *precious* teachers to get a pass due to the "fear" just shows you how intensely lazy and entitled they are. They should be forced to go back.

Teachers are always going on about how important their jobs are -- but they aren't really-- as shown clearly now that they don't want to do it.
I work in an animal hospital.
We’ve been open the entire time. Pet owners are not allowed into the hospital.
Only exception is for euthanasia, and in those cases, only two people - who must be wearing face coverings - are allowed in.
Our veterinarians have NO contact with the public other than for those procedures.

That being said, even if the vets did interact with the pet owners, it still wouldn’t be anywhere near for the amount of time that a teacher spends with children in a classroom.

Same for the rest of the professions listed above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 12:07 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
I wonder if the OP had a rocky road back in the day navigating his own K-12 experience .

Old 08-15-2020, 12:13 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Bloated union salaries of NE metro?

There are thousands of micro economies in the US. What matters is what a wage, any wage, will buy in the local economy. Housing tends to be the single greatest expense. The cost of housing depends on local supply and demand.

80% of the US population live in urban metro areas.
Yes bloated union salaries where the school districts are taxing authorities so they can charge residents whatever union demands they have committed to and its always for the children . Read the Long Island board for some first hand comments of these districts.

Even as local income decreases and the tax base shrinks the union contracts must be honored above all else because when they negotiated the number one interest is themselves, not the teachers and especially not the kids...

Old 08-15-2020, 12:13 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Same for the rest of the professions listed above.
Please don't speak for the rest of the professions listed above. I am not a prison guard but I can assure you they are all in there guarding the prisoners.

I can assure you that lawyers meet with their *grown up* clients.

I can assure you "jury duty" is starting up again.

I can assure you grocery store workers are dealing with both adults and children.

I can assure you hair salons are dealing with both.

I an assure you dentists are looking into people's mouths.

This are all adults.. who at a much greater risk of speeding the virus -- per the CDC -- than child to adult.

Even vets have vet assistance and other humans in the room.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Google 'new Trier teachers salaries' and take a look. I can't link it because it is giving only a PDF and my name is on the link.
Here you go:

https://www.newtrier.k12.il.us/Board...sation_Report/

As you know, District #203 is a high school with 4000 students in a mostly very affluent area. The average teacher compensation is $103,000. Reportedly, 96% of the faculty holds one or more advanced degree.

That’s certainly not the case throughout the state or Chicago metro:

https://www.newtrier.k12.il.us/Board...sation_Report/

Comparison of districts within a state, let alone among states, tends to be apples and oranges. Some districts are single schools, 9-12, while others are multi school, pre K- 12.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:43 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
In my home state teachers are complaining they don’t want to re-open schools. scared they might catch the big bad bogeyman virus. Awwwwhhh poor babies. First of all there’s little risk of catching the virus from children according to medical experts. So that excuse is total “BS”. And btw I still have to go work and millions of others like me. So If we can go to work so can you. so get off your lazy A$$ drinking pina coladas on the beach and do your job.....you bums!!!
Why don't you go and teach then? If you think it's so important and aren't worried about the risks.

Teachers work hard and many of them are underpaid. They are not your slaves or your servants. They can CHOOSE to not return to their job, of find another line of work that is less risky. They are empowered to make that decision. You don't get to force people to work. That's just not the way the world is.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:45 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Yeah, other "essential" workers/jobs remained open from day one.
Teachers are essential to our society well beyond liquor stores and pot shops. So if grocery people, truck drivers, etc., can all work during the height of the virus, teachers can go to work now.

`
You cannot force anyone to return to work at their old job. You can't force anyone to do a particular job. You don't get to make those choices. Those choices belong to the worker not you. If you want to live somewhere that people are forced to work, move to a country that has a dictatorship.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:46 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You cannot force anyone to return to work at their old job. You can't force anyone to do a particular job. You don't get to make those choices. Those choices belong to the worker not you. If you want to live somewhere that people are forced to work, move to a country that has a dictatorship.
Great. Teachers can stay home and be fired.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:49 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Thankfully the OP is the minority regarding teachers and their commitment to education.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:49 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I wonder if the OP had a rocky road back in the day navigating his own K-12 experience .
He was Waldo in the Van Halen "Hot for Teacher" video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies