Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2020, 08:06 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
As always the truth lies in the middle. Teachers are much more than glorified babysitters and yes, many of them do work after hours. However the facts are that they also get their summers off - let's call it at least 2 full months, they have weekends off, they have a lot of time off around the holidays. They also can rarely be fired, and they have good retirment benefits. So, "educators" (teachers is so 1985)..... stop complaining!!!!
I have seen my neighbors who are teachers at home at 3 PM. So they clearly don't work a normal day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 08:11 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I have seen my neighbors who are teachers at home at 3 PM. So they clearly don't work a normal day.
Are you retired or unemployed, Arya?

Old 08-16-2020, 08:12 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
They're not flat-earthers and understand science. Not sure I can say the same about anyone who thinks packing a bunch of kids into a confined space isn't risky during a pandemic.
You sure about that? I've presented continuous learning classes to science teachers in the summer and the vast majority do not know anything about science beyond the same basics the rest of us got in school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
So go get a teaching degree and take their place, instead of being a keyboard warrior and whining about it.
The teacher's unions have made education a closed shop. It's very difficult for someone who didn't start out on that path in college to break in later in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
Can you provide a specific example of when you saw a teacher providing woke or SJW indoctrination in the classroom?
Not hard to find specific examples. Here's a current one right here on CD
https://www.city-data.com/forum/teac...e-parents.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No person has to risk their life to work at a job, if they do not wish to do so.

Be thankful there are people who are. Police. Firefighters. Military. Medical.

Quote:
Back to the subject at hand from someone who knows some things about Education

1) Many teachers are not edcuation majors especially at the Middle and High School level. A lot of your Math and Science teachers took the same college classes as many of the people in the STEM fields.
Met plenty of teachers in college when I had to take Gen Eds in their fields. Heck there were teachers in some classes getting master's degree credit for what I was getting Gen Ed credit for. On the other hand, never met one who was in any of my physics classes. APS did a study on this. Less than 30% of high school science teachers had a degree in field from a college that awarded that degree. Of those who did have "science" degrees, it was from the College of Education.

Quote:
2) Teaching requires many skills such as organization, working well with people (something many of us on this forum would probably struggle with), planning, time management, conflict management, and enough knowledge on sociology and psychology to be able to read people and understand development.
So basic job skills.

Quote:
3) IQ doesn't mean all that much unless it is really low. Give me a reliable worker who has an IQ of 100 over a person who has an IQ of 145 and thinks they are all that and doesn't apply themself. At somepoint it is not about the IQ but instead about the ICan.
Bottom line is you can't teach what you don't know.

Quote:
That is ridiculous. You can't just switch careers like that. Teacher unions have made sure of that.
Agree. As I said above, it's very difficult for outsiders to break in later in life.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:14 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
I hate teachers.

My next door neighbor is a teacher. She has been out getting sun every day since March, meanwhile I haven't seen the sun in 6 months because I have a real job that I do from home.

They are such lazy coddled idiots.

I should have chose than field.
You can just say that about teachers without even knowing all teachers. I have a teacher lives across the street from me, and one lives right next door to me, and they are anything but lazy. The lady across the street been working on her family farm all summer, and sells fresh fruits and vegetables from her house. The lady next door set up her back porch, and been teaching kids since schools shut down. She spends about one hour with each child, then another parent comes and drop off their child, she does like four kids a day. So not all teachers are lazy.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:15 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
You can just say that about teachers without even knowing all teachers. I have a teacher lives across the street from me, and one lives right next door to me, and they are anything but lazy. The lady across the street been working on her family farm all summer, and sells fresh fruits and vegetables from her house. The lady next door set up her back porch, and been teaching kids since schools shut down. She spends one with each child, then another parent comes and drop off their child, she does like four kids a day.
Mine sits on her porch all day gossiping with other teachers. They are lazy.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:20 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
But when you say they, you saying all teachers. I'm sure some are, but I just gave examples of two teachers I see and speak to all the time, that are on the go. You can't speak for all teachers across this huge country, when you don't even know them. You probably have lazy people in every field of work, I sure have them on my job.

Last edited by ipaper; 08-16-2020 at 08:38 AM..

Old 08-16-2020, 08:20 AM

9,878 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Yeah, other "essential" workers/jobs remained open from day one.
Teachers are essential to our society well beyond liquor stores and pot shops. So if grocery people, truck drivers, etc., can all work during the height of the virus, teachers can go to work now.

Also people forget when they hear about teachers being underpaid, many only work a portion of the year. So if you were t calculate wheat they make if extrapolated throughout the year, it might surprise you.

Also many teachers are hypocrites, mainly looking out for their own self interests. They rail against private and parochial schools, yet will go to work at one just to get their kids admitted (in many cases tuition free). But school choice is not allowed in their minds, because they already have their own kids getting a better education.

`
That's the thing. Essential workers are in contact with all parts of the public ie young, old, dirty, clean , foreign, domestic etc yet the teachers will have contact with the same individuals in more controlled environment.

Also keep in mind that children and young are not just potential hosts for covid but alot of other diseases and germs on a yearly basis that their students unknowingly drag into school. Other than covid has there been severe outbreaks of anything other than asbestos, fumes, mold etc?

Their and students immune systems might even be better than the public at large since they are dealing with a bunch children where many don't have personal hygiene down yet

Old 08-16-2020, 08:21 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,667 times
Quote:
Fascinating that you know this since you are apparently heads down working at home not having seen the sun since March. How exactly do you find the time to work, monitor neighborhood comings and goings, and post to City-Data round the clock?

Old 08-16-2020, 08:41 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Besides there isn't any significant teacher union in the South. They will help you out if you are accused or something but that is about it.

The idea that teachers unions are ruining education is largely false becuase in the South and Southwest they don't even exist.

In my area, there are 2 teacher organizations. Last I was aware of not half the teachers even join. The ones who do it is so there is help should a parent sue them because the ISDs offer no help in parent teacher conflicts.

Old 08-16-2020, 08:44 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
Of course they do! I’ve never known a teacher who did not. Some of these complaints are just bizarre. As a long-time high school volunteer, I’ve observed that a standard teaching day runs from 7:00 to 4:00. That’s a full-time schedule for any profession. Additionally, most teachers put in extra time after hours, tutoring, grading, and planning. Teachers answer emails from parents and students on weekends. They show up for sports competitions and theater productions and concerts to show suppport for their students. They stick around long after the school day has officially ended to sponsor academic, athletic, and social clubs. Teaching is an all-encompassing profession. To see teachers (and other school staff) diminished as glorified babysitters and yet also held up as “essential workers” is astounding. No other group of educated professionals would ever tolerate such appalling disrespect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies