Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 07:16 AM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

I wonder if they will bleep out all the "N-words" in the movie.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/blazing...of-1203013011/

Quote:
HBO Max has added yet another informative introduction to one of its titles. When Blazing Saddles hit the network’s new platform on July 28, the Mel Brooks film kicks off not with its opening sequence, but rather an introduction by University of Chicago professor and TCM host Jacqueline Stewart.

The intro, in which the Silent Sunday Nights host provides social context to the 1974 Cleavon Little-Gene Wilder comedy, is similar to the disclaimer in front of Gone with the Wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 07:30 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
No surprise. America has become so stupid can’t understand the concept of satire and irony.
Maybe we aren’t stupid. Maybe we just live in such a dysfunctional bubble we can’t recognize them anymore.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:33 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
More censorship and speech control. Effing Communists.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:37 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I watched that movie again, a couple years ago.

It occurs to me that although we've become an extremely vulgar society, tolerating more outright obscenity than we did back in the 1970's, there's a LOT in that movie that you don't see in mainstream movies today.

Not just the N word. The whole thing with Heddy Lamar (sp?) and the pen holder, and innumerable other quips that you don't see in movies now.

Interesting. And back in the day, I thought that was one FUNNY FUNNY movie. Umm. Not as funny as I thought! ;D

Old 08-14-2020, 07:40 AM

15,820 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Excuse me while I whip this out. If you can't get away with inappropriate humor in a satire, we're in deep trouble.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:47 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I watched that movie again, a couple years ago.

It occurs to me that although we've become an extremely vulgar society, tolerating more outright obscenity than we did back in the 1970's, there's a LOT in that movie that you don't see in mainstream movies today.

Not just the N word. The whole thing with Heddy Lamar (sp?) and the pen holder, and innumerable other quips that you don't see in movies now.

Interesting. And back in the day, I thought that was one FUNNY FUNNY movie. Umm. Not as funny as I thought! ;D
You've obviously drank the Koolaid and been indoctrinated by the Progressive Mob. There is much more violence, vulgarity, sex, and indecency in mainstream media today than ever before. Just watch network or cable TV, and then you have the stuff they are streaming.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:10 AM

5,101 posts, read 2,047,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You've obviously drank the Koolaid and been indoctrinated by the Progressive Mob. There is much more violence, vulgarity, sex, and indecency in mainstream media today than ever before. Just watch network or cable TV, and then you have the stuff they are streaming.
Yeah, ironic to see the progressive mob pushing for vulgarity, sex and indencency in mainstream media but go into an uproar about Blazing Saddles or even some mangas.

I still have fun to watch these clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAELs42aZt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkVl1zfM_G4

At this rate, I wonder how long they'll find this skit from Tommy Boy offensive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohz8_IafGwE

Old 08-14-2020, 08:10 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,582 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Wait . . . didn't I just say that?

(you apparently didn't read my post at all, but reacted simply to the name. you're in good company though, happens a lot here)

Old 08-14-2020, 08:15 AM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I was watching " Saved By The Bell" on early morning while eating breakfast. The episode had Slater win a wrestling trophy and Mr. Belding the principal asked him to show him that wrestling move he won with. Slater put him in a choke hold. They cut to black but a little too late and then cut back a few seconds later.
Can't give our kids any bad ideas now can we?

Old 08-14-2020, 08:15 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
America is losing it's sense of humor thanks to the PC SJW stinkers.

The only group that is still ok to poke fun at is middle aged white guys. We see this in TV ads all the time. I guess we are the last group that can still laugh at itself?

Another Mel Brooks movie that has so far been unmentioned is the very funny "Space Balls The Movie". There is a scene where the evil spaceballs are combing the desert, we see a couple of white guys with a giant comb and then a pair of black guys working a giant pick and one says "we ain't found ***t" Stereotypical but it sure was funny. I'm sure there will be some that are offended by that. The last time it was on TV the scene was still there.

I was watching an episode of "Little house on the prairie" recently and it was about racism and a few of the white characters took high offense that a black guy was going to be moving to their town. I was shocked that they actually called him the "N" word a handful of times but guess what it was accurate for the time and it drove home the fact that bigotry exists. The episode went on to show that people's prejudices can be changed.

I think it is dumb that people cannot understand themselves that when "Blazing Saddles" was made it was a different time but I would rather they have a little warning message before the showing then outright banning it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies