Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 09:43 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times

Advertisements

We were having a political discussion about voting demographics on another thread and the topic of the dying out of old white men as a dominant demographic voting group was being discussed.

The discussion reminded me of a very interesting interactive graphic I saw previously. Posted below is a link to an interactive map that shows the source nations for immigrants to America from 1820 to present. The complete shift following the Immigration Act of 1965 is striking and dramatic.

From 1820 to 1965, European nations dominate US immigration. After 1965, non-European nations completely dominate US immigration, as if somebody just flipped a switch.

It is a compelling graphic. For example, Mexican immigration does not even appear until 1910, then by 1963 it is the top spot and never yields. Mexico stays the top donor nation from 1963 to present.

This map explains a lot about our nation's demographic changes.

Another amazing feature is how the map just dies during the Great Depression. There were no jobs here for immigrants. I am sure they wanted to come here but we had no way to employ them with unemployment already so high. The map just comes to a screaching halt until well after WWII.

Asian and Middle Eastern immigrants are almost non-existent until 1970/75, and then BOOM, it is a flood. Just interesting to note what seems an almost immediate change in the map.

In addition to showing the source countries of immigrants by year, the lower left shows the top 3 nations by year. You can also pause the map at any given year and and you can move the slider to any given year for display. The information comes fast and gets hard to follow with so many nations. I find that pausing on a regular basis is really helpful to view all the different nations contributing in a given year. Running it without ever pausing it overwhelms me.

Just an interesting and informative graphic for anyone who has never seen it. It does a remarkable job of demonstrating immigration over time as clearly as it can be shown.

Here's Everyone Who's Immigrated to the U.S. Since 1820 - Metrocosm

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 08-14-2020 at 10:03 AM..

Old 08-14-2020, 10:23 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
We were having a political discussion about voting demographics on another thread and the topic of the dying out of old white men as a dominant demographic voting group was being discussed.

The discussion reminded me of a very interesting interactive graphic I saw previously. Posted below is a link to an interactive map that shows the source nations for immigrants to America from 1820 to present. The complete shift following the Immigration Act of 1965 is striking and dramatic.

From 1820 to 1965, European nations dominate US immigration. After 1965, non-European nations completely dominate US immigration, as if somebody just flipped a switch. It is a compelling graphic. For example, Mexico is not even in the top 3 until 1920. Mexico moves to the #1 spot in 1963 and never gives it up right to the present day.

Another amazing feature is how the map just dies during the Great Depression. There were no jobs here for immigrants. I am sure they wanted to come here but we had no way to employ them with unemployment already so high. The map just comes to a screaching halt until well after WWII.

Asian and Middle Eastern immigrants are almost non-existent until 1970/75, and then BOOM, it is a flood. Just interesting to note what seems an almost immediate change in the map.

In addition to showing the source countries of immigrants by year, the lower left shows the top 3 nations by year. You can also pause the map at any given year and and you can move the slider to any given year for display. The information comes fast and gets hard to follow with so many nations. I find that pausing on a regular basis is really helpful to view all the different nations contributing in a given year. Running it without ever pausing it overwhelms me.

Just an interesting and informative graphic for anyone who has never seen it. It does a remarkable job of demonstrating immigration over time as clearly as it can be shown.

The map doesn't explain EVERYTHING. The Immigration Act of 1965 might have played a big role. However, there is something else to consider. Mexico was the 3rd largest source of immigrants during the 1950s, long before the Immigration Act of 1965. The Bracero Program had been going on since the 1940s, specifically August 4, 1942.

While Mexico was the #1 country immigrants were coming from during the 1960s, Canada and the UK were 2nd and 3rd. Other countries included Germany, Poland, and Italy.

Something else. During the 1960s and 70s, the economies of several western European countries (Germany, France, etc) were coming out of their own post-war malaises and becoming powerhouses of their own. More Europeans decided to stay. Italy had been a huge source of immigration to the USA. Canada and Australia would compete with the USA for those Italian immigrants, as would Germany and the UK.

During the 60s and 70s, Cuba's Communist regime would result in many Cubans fleeing to America.

As the Eastern bloc fell, many immigrants from eastern Europe came here during the 1990s. There is nothing stopping Europeans from coming. Many choose to stay in their own countries, or go to other countries. And now, race isn't a qualifier for coming here.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Actually we're still pretty great. It just seems that sinister forces are trying to divide us and bring us down. Trump for the win'20
I was talking in a historical sense. And this country has always been divided, and not always from sinister forces.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:32 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

From 1820 to 1965, European nations dominate US immigration. After 1965, non-European nations completely dominate US immigration, as if somebody just flipped a switch.

It is a compelling graphic. For example, Mexican immigration does not even appear until 1910, then by 1963 it is the top spot and never yields. Mexico stays the top donor nation from 1963 to present.

I had a little bit of trouble keeping up with all the dots, but found the little thing at the bottom listing the top three countries with citizens emigrating to the US listed in order of number of people. I wouldn't have thought Canada was on top for so many years. Just didn't really cross my radar that apparently for decades, Canada was the top country for US immigration.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I had a little bit of trouble keeping up with all the dots, but found the little thing at the bottom listing the top three countries with citizens emigrating to the US listed in order of number of people. I wouldn't have thought Canada was on top for so many years. Just didn't really cross my radar that apparently for decades, Canada was the top country for US immigration.
I'm willing to be that a considerable number of Canadian immigrants came from Quebec, New Brunswick, and eastern Ontario, and were settling in New England and the Great Lakes region.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
It is hard to keep up with influx from so many countries on the map. I find that if I pause it every 5 years 1970... 1975... 1980, then I can actually look at all the highlighted donor nations. The map is set up so that high rates of inflation use very opaque highlight while low rates use a very transpartent highlight for donor countries. So by pausing every 5 years and then examining all the highlighted nations, it really shows you who came from where and when. I had no clue that Hungary was in the top 3 ever.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The map doesn't explain EVERYTHING. The Immigration Act of 1965 might have played a big role. However, there is something else to consider. Mexico was the 3rd largest source of immigrants during the 1950s, long before the Immigration Act of 1965. The Bracero Program had been going on since the 1940s, specifically August 4, 1942.

While Mexico was the #1 country immigrants were coming from during the 1960s, Canada and the UK were 2nd and 3rd. Other countries included Germany, Poland, and Italy.

Something else. During the 1960s and 70s, the economies of several western European countries (Germany, France, etc) were coming out of their own post-war malaises and becoming powerhouses of their own. More Europeans decided to stay. Italy had been a huge source of immigration to the USA. Canada and Australia would compete with the USA for those Italian immigrants, as would Germany and the UK.

During the 60s and 70s, Cuba's Communist regime would result in many Cubans fleeing to America.

As the Eastern bloc fell, many immigrants from eastern Europe came here during the 1990s. There is nothing stopping Europeans from coming. Many choose to stay in their own countries, or go to other countries. And now, race isn't a qualifier for coming here.
The following graphic (link to website below) seems to indicate that the Bracero program was a guest worker program and that immigration paled compared to Mexican immigration post 1965.

https://www.pewresearch.org/hispanic...-perhaps-less/

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-16-2020 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: hot linking/copyright violation

Old 08-14-2020, 11:00 AM

515 posts, read 252,879 times
Interesting... gives us a perspective of where our country's immigrants have come from during different time periods, and all those immigrants have given us a better country

Old 08-14-2020, 11:05 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Canada was a stepping stone for many many immigrants coming to the US. My grandfather came here from Newfoundland in 1918. Both of my great grandmothers came from Quebec around 1910. The textile factories of New Hampshire and Maine were all filled with French Canadians who poured down from Quebec.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 08-14-2020 at 11:32 AM..

Old 08-14-2020, 11:08 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Forces behind the scene changing the great nation. Is it any wonder the greatness is waning?
Yes. Those dang Pilgrims and those dang Puritans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies