Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 09:18 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Things have been locked down around here since March. Long John Silvers permanently closed. I don't know what else is gone. I never did go out much even before all of this. I go out even less now since there's nowhere to go really anyway.
Things are trying to finish up reopening here. Movie theater and public schools to reopen later this month. With fewer people allowed in, college stadium plans to reopen for football games. Community Center and library open with mask wear required. Parks never closed. Long John's closed months before the pandemic. Back in March "non essential" businesses had to close. Doing that kept the local total coronavirus total cases locked on 22 for nearly two months when closed businesses were permitted to reopen. Masks were not required until weeks later. So what happened? Total cases spiked from 22 to now 624.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-14-2020 at 09:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 09:20 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
Democrats and the media, (same thing) are going to keep it going till Nov. 3rd for sure.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:21 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Do you think those that support the covid measures don’t know this or care? Which demographic do you think makes up the majority of people who love city nightlife, concerts, parties, etc?

This sucks, for everyone. But it’s the best solution we’ve got right now.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:23 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I am very sorry to hear about your step-sister and neighbor. Very sorry. Two real world examples, and there are many more we'll never hear about. People need to read of these things. They need to come out of their panic and stop endangering innocent people for one-size-fits-all solutions. Quarantines are for the sick and vulnerable, not the well and able who need to stay active to keep society functioning. More people seem to be getting it, but many more need to wake up.

I find it unforgivable that someone can die in a hospital because staff stupidly won't check on them because of all this paranoia.
The two deaths were close together. The neighbor died May 23. She died May 26. It still doesn't feel real. We weren't allowed to go to their funerals, either. It feels like they just disappeared without a trace.

There was another person I know of who died without treatment because of the COVID situation, but I didn't really know the person. I forget what killed that person, but it was treatable as well.

I recently had a place cancel a medical procedure I was supposed to have done because the doctor caught it from a patient. So, even with all these restrictions, it's still being passed around. I was planning to cancel the procedure anyway, so I'm not upset over it. But here they make everyone wear a mask no matter what and the masks aren't preventing the spread whatsoever.

I have a suppressed immune system and only go to medical appointments and to get supplies like groceries and medicine. I've done that long before this virus came along. I used to go to the library ever so often too, which I can no longer do. That was my one escape from reality.

Old 08-14-2020, 09:24 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Democrats and the media, (same thing) are going to keep it going till Nov. 3rd for sure.
Yeah. Dems are reporting the horror of lockdowns even when these is no lockdown.
Just hoping someone will believe them, I guess....

Old 08-14-2020, 09:32 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
They are worried about eating, they are lonely, they feel isolated, they are drinking too much because the need to go to work doesn’t exist to put brakes on, and so forth ....... at least three of my former students have attempted suicide, two successfully. All were single young men. One of them specifically stated that without his job he felt he had no purpose.

Maybe the problem is that all that isolation is eroding some people’s ability to empathize or be compassionate.
I am sorry to hear of that. That is so terrible to be brave enough to take your own life but not brave enough to face another day of life. I can understand how having a good steady job or career is very important to one's life. It can help make up for failure in developing a close relationship with a mate. Fortunately, I never had much frustration finding a job in my town when I went looking for one. But these times are much different. Fortunately, I don't need to look for one.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-14-2020 at 09:42 PM..

Old 08-14-2020, 09:38 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I know the lockdowns are causing alot of problems and the economy is a mess. At the same time, given the initial way Covid-19 was treated, what else can we do to stop this mess?
Have you looked at the stock mkt lately?!! I cannot believe its as high as it is!!

Ive said in the past, I felt they may be keeping the DOW up 'artificially', as to not make the problem worse, I believe they have the power to do that if necessary...because in reality, given whats happening on a global scale and in the US...the DOW should be no higher than about 5000 points!

Things like this are also done to keep people hopeful, (even when its not due).

Old 08-14-2020, 10:06 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Have you looked at the stock mkt lately?!! I cannot believe its as high as it is!!

Ive said in the past, I felt they may be keeping the DOW up 'artificially', as to not make the problem worse, I believe they have the power to do that if necessary...because in reality, given whats happening on a global scale and in the US...the DOW should be no higher than about 5000 points!

Things like this are also done to keep people hopeful, (even when its not due).
My stocks haven't been doing very well. I'm relatively new to the stock market (been in it barely a year). My stocks took a hit today.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:06 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Suicide really? Are people that much in need of partying and social interaction? Pathetic

BBQ/Drink beer at home, play video games, watch movies, etc. Whats the problem?
Unemployment.

Old 08-14-2020, 11:36 PM

17,623 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Bunker boy is president. Why aren't the right wingers slamming him?
Because he's not the dictator Biden will be if Biden wins. The governors dictate policy in the states, which includes keeping businesses closed, mask orders, school shutdowns, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies