Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 06:56 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,328,096 times

Advertisements

Knowledge is power!

Quote:
Many American voters are caught between competing concerns regarding the fall presidential election, as they weigh fears about the public health risks of voting in person against growing alarm about the ability of the U.S. Postal Service to deliver a mail-in ballot on time.

Worries about the Postal Service have mounted in recent days after President Trump said he might oppose funding the agency to stop Americans from voting by mail. And on Friday it was revealed that the Postal Service recently warned 46 states and the District of Columbia that it may not be able to deliver all mail-in ballots on time.

That comes after a few weeks of reports about the recently installed Postmaster General Louis DeJoy — a wealthy Trump donor with potential financial conflicts of interest in the mail industry — making changes to the Postal Service that are already causing a slowdown in mail delivery.

But there are ways to vote by mail without having to rely on the Postal Service to return your ballot. You could call it a hybrid process of receiving a ballot early through the mail and then returning it in person, before Election Day.

The Postal Service is the only way to receive an absentee or mail-in ballot in most states.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/202...llot/24590548/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2020, 07:02 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Right, I will be placing mine in the box at city hall.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:32 AM

1,747 posts, read 879,903 times
I'll be dropping mine in the box at the polling place right outside my subdivision.

Also, both here and in NH when I lived there, you could just go into the town office and pick up your absentee ballot. You can return them there too but I'll use the polling place because where I have to go here to pick one up and return it to them is about a half hour drive away.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:47 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I wouldn't have a problem with people dropping off their ballot at the election office. But, if this happens--especially considering the number of people who say they want to vote by mail--wouldn't it make sense to just go to the polls? This is especially so as I'd expect that the small election offices are NOT equipped to handle a surge of people showing up dropping their ballots off

Note, this is leftists attempting to sound smart, but they fail to recognize that this argument truly defeats the purpose of being against in-person voting.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:54 AM

464 posts, read 202,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with people dropping off their ballot at the election office. But, if this happens--especially considering the number of people who say they want to vote by mail--wouldn't it make sense to just go to the polls? This is especially so as I'd expect that the small election offices are NOT equipped to handle a surge of people showing up dropping their ballots off

Note, this is leftists attempting to sound smart, but they fail to recognize that this argument truly defeats the purpose of being against in-person voting.
Co-Signed... If you can leave your home to go drop off your ballot, might as well just vote early IN PERSON.

Old 08-15-2020, 06:56 AM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Simple, I will vote in person as I have in every previous election. In and out in five minutes with zero drama.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:11 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

Because not everyone needs to wait till Election Day nor do all of us have time to spend waiting in any lines.

Derka durr.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:38 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Because not everyone needs to wait till Election Day nor do all of us have time to spend waiting in any lines.

Derka durr.
And you seriously believe that you won't have lines at the elections office? Again, these elections offices are not huge places such as a school polling station. You and every other person and their momma dropping off ballots would be waiting in a line at the elections office as there would have to be some reception process to verify that you turned in the ballot. Given that there are very few elections offices and given that the offices are not staffed to handle a crush of people wanting to drop their ballots off (it will not be as simple as dropping the ballot off and walking away), that's asking for a disaster in terms of long lines. Like I wrote, this is leftists trying to sound clever on this issue, not realizing that it destroys their arguments against in person voting.

As for waiting until Election Day, last time I checked, 43 states either offer no-excuse early voting or are all vote by mail states.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
someone please tell me this is not true.

I saw the people who were opening up the mailed in ballots, and it looks like they could actually see your actual mail in ballot.

If this is what i saw, then they are seeing what is supposed to be secret.

is that true??? I don't think this was post office employees, but the people who received the ballots where they were supposed to go.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:04 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
In North Carolina, you can drop off your ballot at early voting sites or the Board of Election office, but you need to wait in line with the voters and go through a process to "verify" your ballot.

Not sure what the process is in other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies