Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2020, 12:05 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,149,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
and return postage as well? Did any of the dems consider that while pushing their ridiculous proposal
what they're asking for amounts to $15+/ballot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2020, 12:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,046,354 times
Quote:
and return postage as well? Did any of the dems consider that while pushing their ridiculous proposal
I vote by mail in WA State. Voting by mail is not ridiculous. It works well. I voted in person for most of my life. I much prefer voting by mail.

You do have costs associated with in person voting. Most poll workers are paid, for instance. You have to buy, store and maintain voting machines or computer terminals. You have to train poll workers. And indeed you have to train people to register people to vote.

In WA registering is done automatically when you get a DL. Your ballot is sent to you, addressed to you. You have ample time to fill it out and send it back. Your ballot goes into an inner envelope, which must be signed by you. Your signature is verified before your ballot is opened and counted. When I voted in person, my signature was checked before I voted. So, the same security is used both places. The exception is with in person voting, you did present a piece of ID.

Really, you need to find out more about this way if voting before criticizing it.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:12 PM

51,619 posts, read 25,691,824 times
100 million times 55 cents in postage is 55 million dollars.

Surprising that MathGuy didn't clue you in.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:16 PM

12,338 posts, read 8,072,147 times
Quote:
You mean less than all those combined?
Most of the other official election materials are off sized thus cost more than ballots, which are automation friendly first class letter sized, at least in Los Angeles County, are mailed.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:17 PM

38,627 posts, read 26,311,930 times
Quote:

Yes, and oddly enough it's the exact same cost as stealing an election.

Old 08-15-2020, 12:32 PM

103 posts, read 52,349 times
Quote:
So to clarify..its paid by counties? And it would cost $300 million per county?
No, not per county, we do not have a 100 million people in our county. Your question was how much would it cost to mail out and receive 100 million ballots, I assume you meant nationwide. So the $1.50/per ballot based on two elections, a primary and a general election equals $3 total per voter. Each county would vary because the population varies everywhere and there still may be a lot of people willing to chance going out and catching a virus to vote, but not me. I voted in the primary vial mail in ballot and will vote in the upcoming general election by mail also.

Ask yourself, do you want to risk waiting in line on voting day? Perhaps your county has early voting, that is another option.

Nothing to complicated here. Call your local elections office for details regarding your particular county where you live, they will answer all your questions regarding cost to you if any, at most you may be required to pay return postage.

Last edited by Low Tech Sr.; 08-15-2020 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies