Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 10:33 AM

67 posts, read 44,889 times

Advertisements

I hate the violent protests but when people ask why democrats are ok with they but not church gatherings. Why doesn’t anyone state that church gatherings are inside and protests aren’t? If they were ok for gatherings at an indoor protest but not a church that would be hypocritical but you can’t compare indoor and outdoor events.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:37 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,083,837 times
I would definitely think that being indoors has a lot to do with it. Much like movie theaters, many restaurants and bars, schools, and many white-collar workplaces (with telework capability) are all still closed. Because they are indoors.

Not that protesting outdoors doesn't still pose risks, but the chance of contracting coronavirus during an outdoor protest is probably significantly lower than all those indoor functions.

So it's not like "democrats are attacking churches by keeping them closed," as MOST indoor activities are still closed across the country.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:37 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janay755 View Post
I hate the violent protests but when people ask why democrats are ok with they but not church gatherings. Why doesn’t anyone state that church gatherings are inside and protests aren’t? If they were ok for gatherings at an indoor protest but not a church that would be hypocritical but you can’t compare indoor and outdoor events.
I think it falls more along the lines with "Protests have slowed down Corona spread" while Trumps rally "has/will increase Corona spread".

Sure, one is outdoors and one is indoors. But I don't think that's what people are thinking about when they make such a statement. And the fact there's an excuse made to accept the violent protests is absurd, but that's another story.

Old 07-31-2020, 10:57 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,164 times
Quote:
We aren't supposed to gather in groups above a certain number (10, 25, 50..depending on your state) at all. Indoor or outdoor. Doesn't matter. So mass gatherings anywhere, for any reason, masked or unmasked, have been banned. Except for protests. Hypocrisy. They were going after drive-in churches at one point, as well as Hasidic Jews in NYC who gathered outdoors for a memorial.

My governor-- Cuomo-- is throwing the book at a music group who had an outdoor concert this weekend. But outdoor riots and protests were left alone. Hypocrisy.

It's not about indoor vs. outdoor. It's about protests being given a free pass, and the rest of society having to follow the rules.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:01 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I would definitely think that being indoors has a lot to do with it. Much like movie theaters, many restaurants and bars, schools, and many white-collar workplaces (with telework capability) are all still closed. Because they are indoors.

Not that protesting outdoors doesn't still pose risks, but the chance of contracting coronavirus during an outdoor protest is probably significantly lower than all those indoor functions.

So it's not like "democrats are attacking churches by keeping them closed," as MOST indoor activities are still closed across the country.
Except the rules weren't that we could gather en masse if it was low risk. The rules banned it. And then the rules were lifted for one group, and one group only: the protesters.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:06 AM

628 posts, read 209,329 times
Quote:
You can if the outdoor event has people shoulder-to-shoulder, genius.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:19 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
We aren't supposed to gather in groups above a certain number (10, 25, 50..depending on your state) at all. Indoor or outdoor. Doesn't matter. So mass gatherings anywhere, for any reason, masked or unmasked, have been banned. Except for protests. Hypocrisy. They were going after drive-in churches at one point, as well as Hasidic Jews in NYC who gathered outdoors for a memorial.

My governor-- Cuomo-- is throwing the book at a music group who had an outdoor concert this weekend. But outdoor riots and protests were left alone. Hypocrisy.

It's not about indoor vs. outdoor. It's about protests being given a free pass, and the rest of society having to follow the rules.
Yeah, this post is what I was pretty much alluding to in my reply. Good post!

Old 07-31-2020, 01:24 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,773 times
The hypocrisy is in full view at NYTimes. last time I checked, beaches are outside:

Virus Cases Are Rising in N.J., Spurred by Young Partygoers at the Shore

Old 08-01-2020, 10:03 AM

45,580 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Hammer... nail... head

Old 08-01-2020, 10:19 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post

Democratic politicians and Karen, the mask Nazi, have strong totalitarian streaks. The Democrats have abandoned liberalism. Pretty disturbing when, as a Republican, I counted on them to constrain the national security, law & order instincts of conservatives.

Maybe it has to do with how nasty politics have become. The lowest, most vile people become politicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies