Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 03:56 PM

29,508 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Well, people need something to write about these days to satisfy their sense of self importance, right?

https://theconversation.com/how-holl...-racism-127088

Quote:
A culture and history of racist misrepresentation may have something to do with it. Why has there been considerable tolerance among the silent majority of white people for animal-like, demonic representations of Black people in media and popular culture?

The short answer is that we are dealing with a culture of domination. It is a culture that thrives on the sexualized demonization of Black people. Two examples of this are Ridley Scott’s Alien, which comports with the trope of Black women as alien breeders and Predator, written by brothers Jim and John Thomas, that riffs on images of Black men as dreadlocked, violent and superhuman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2020, 04:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Well, people need something to write about these days to satisfy their sense of self importance, right?

And see i thought Predator just thought dreads were cool. He was nu-metal before nu-metal was cool. I never caught an African American as an alien breeder in any Alien movie...

Old 08-16-2020, 04:37 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
There was a Black woman in Alien franchise? I remember Sanaa Lathan being so powerful in the Aliens Versus Predator that she was welcomed into the Predator hunting clan and no host breeder for a xenomorph

Old 08-16-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
There was a Black woman in Alien franchise? I remember Sanaa Lathan being so powerful in the Aliens Versus Predator that she was welcomed into the Predator hunting clan and no host breeder for a xenomorph
The only one I remember was a woman having an abortion due to an alien impregnation her in Prometheus

Old 08-16-2020, 04:43 PM

24,458 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:

Yes she was the hero and sole survivor of that movie. In the original Alien Yaphet Kotto as Parker met his untimely end but he was a tough guy.

If I remember correctly Arnold had 2 black guys and a Native American on his elite team and in the second Predator installment Danny Glover kicked butt all over the city and was shown respect by the other Predators when he bested one of theirs on their ship.

I guess it was a slow news day and these people needed something to complain about?

What is it with people that see racism everywhere?

Old 08-16-2020, 04:47 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Yeah the alien was supposed to represent a black woman to these loons. I don't quite see the resemblance. lol.

Old 08-16-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Yes she was the hero and sole survivor of that movie. In the original Alien Yaphet Kotto as Parker met his untimely end but he was a tough guy.

If I remember correctly Arnold had 2 black guys and a Native American on his elite team and in the second Predator installment Danny Glover kicked butt all over the city and was shown respect by the other Predators when he bested one of theirs on their ship.

I guess it was a slow news day and these people needed something to complain about?

I normally can see it but this is as off as an ex saying most Disney movies was racist since they all had fair princesses except Tiana in Princess and the Frog. Her friend and I both shot her down on it and her friend was Hispanic and they still haven't done a Hispanic princess... I can get subtext like African-Americans are either best friends or have only African-American friends if it is an African-American lead or they use a lighter skinned one like say Dwayne or Halle, but these movies and the European based fairy tale comments is bunk.

Old 08-16-2020, 04:52 PM

16,547 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Some people, especially on the left are kooks.

/Thread

`

Old 08-16-2020, 05:08 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Yeah the alien was supposed to represent a black woman to these loons. I don't quite see the resemblance. lol.
I remember the Black guy being pretty brave fighting the alien off before succumbing.

The survivors were the woman and the cat.

Old 08-16-2020, 05:20 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

People like that are either racist themselves or have a victim mentality.

I just read an account of someone who was telling of his alleged experiences with racism. One incident was a job interview he had for an internal promotion at his company. They asked him why he wanted to leave his current position. That was racist to him. I’ve been asked the same thing in an interview. It’s a standard question in most interviews.

Some people try to find racism everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies