Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2020, 07:25 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,966,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am sure it’s fine and dandy as long as someone else is slaved to pay for your free lunch.

Wait, didn’t you say there’s no free lunch?
If someone is "working" and getting low wages, they are not getting a free lunch!

Riddle Me This.....

They say when when the Corporations, Banks and your Hotshot Investors on Wall Street get Bail Outs, they are just getting a refund on their taxes. Ok?

So it should be also fair to say low wage workers receiving welfare are getting a refund on the wages the employers skipped out on.
In addition to that, they are getting a refund on the federal taxes socialized to them in the products and services they buy when Acme corporation raised prices to cover the taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 07:27 PM

2,707 posts, read 1,035,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
That explains so much.
Not really. I do online college and am 35 years old. I have held my same economic beliefs for at least 15 years, LONG before I went to college. I have been nationalistic and populist for just as long.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The rich and poor don't have two different mental capacities, but they do have to different financial mindsets. They have a different understanding / education about how the world and money work. The rich get a different education from both their parents and school than the poor get. The gov't school system is not giving a good financial education (they have other important things to teach --> sarcasm if you get me).

The gov't run schools and unions are failing the poor and the middle class. Instead of being one of their tools, learn from the rich and be different.
The Private Sector Unions no longer have representation in our government.
Only the Corporations and Banks do that own both parties.

Look up a chart on open secrets and you will see the Unions at the bottom of the list.
Unions are banned in Communist Countries and anyone attempting to start one get sent to the Re-Education Camps........or Worse.

The Commie Corporations and Banks in this country won.
It was not the unions that moved to Commie Countries.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:33 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,120,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
I have done taxes for 15 years. Last year I did taxes for a young lady. She had 4 children with 4 different last names. She was also a college student. She had a job. Her tax credits for earned income credit, child tax credit, additional child tax credit and AOTC (American opportunity tax credit) were more than $10,000. She also had section 8 housing , food stamps and Medicaid. Did she know how to milk the system?
Besides EITC, which of those credits aren't available and used by a family of five with a HHI of 150k?

Old 08-17-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You guys?

Congress in 2017 did not consider a flat tax. They did double the child tax credit and retain The carried interest loophole, which Trump promised to eliminate.
You sound like you're in the "you guys" camp. The individual mandate was exactly a "everyone has skin in the game" premise that you guys dismantled. You've lost all greetings of credibility to say you actually believe that. Go find another talking point to justify your tax dodging beliefs.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok so why do people earn so little. Instead of the go to of blaming someone else, ask, what did those people do to help themselves and their future? Party all the time? Sleep in class? Learn about life from parents who are also poor? Have kids before they were financially ok? What did they do to secure a decent income?

If you don't like the pay, then don't agree to take the job.
Doesn't matter why they earn so little. They are using the tax breaks that most of us use when we file taxes. Which tax break are you going to stop claiming before you say someone so poor that they're getting a refund for using it needs to stop? Your W2 deductions? Your HC premiums? Your mortgage deduction?

List the ones you're forgoing since you're saying other people shouldn't be able to use them.

Last edited by EddieB.Good; 08-17-2020 at 08:34 PM..

Old 08-17-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
If you can realize its ALL rigged by the rich in BOTH parties, then you are making progress towards a solution. If you endlessly argue red versus blue, you ill never get out of their trap.

Here's a proposal for you...

We will all agree to double the national minimum wage from $7.25/hr. to $14.50/hr. with just 1 proviso...

...that the extra $7.25 comes from reduced government spending.

Deal?
The Corporate and Banking Lobbyists that own both parties would have a fit.
Take a look at who the beneficiaries are.
I'll side with whoever tries to do it.

Social Security, Healthcare and Defense are the Big Three.
Social Security people pay in to.

Look at the ranking for lobbyists in Health, Insurance and Defense. They are at the top.
They will bring the corporate lawyers in to fight you to protect their gravy train.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
any viable system rigged to make the poor richer,

Welfare system paid by robbing other people's money.

by making the rich poorer?

Income tax, property tax, and estate tax.
"Other People's Money OPM" is a tactic used by the rich as well.
You hear a lot in their circles.
They get it from federal and local governments, banks, other countries and so on.

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/...s-money-228434

Trump: 'There’s nothing like doing things with other people’s money'

Quote:
“It’s called OPM. I do that all the time in business. It’s called other people’s money. There’s nothing like doing things with other people’s money,” Trump said. “Because it takes, the risk, you get a good chunk of it and it takes the risk. We’re going to do this, in this case, from a humanitarian standpoint.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the reality of this perfection argument is that corporations didn't magically drop their prices 15%, or by the 15% of EBITDA

Old 08-17-2020, 08:20 PM

13,642 posts, read 4,954,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
EVERYONE should pay an amount of FEDERAL INCOME TAXES. 45% pay ZERO federal income taxes. Maybe if we ALL had skin in the game, we would care more about where the money went. Why should 45% get to spend MY tax money? If you don't pay federal income taxes, you shouldn't vote. Isn't it obvious that all the people who pay no taxes are going to keep voting to tax OTHER PEOPLE MORE with little to no regard as to how that money is spent?
If someone has no income, how can they pay income tax? The standard deduction is $24,000 so if you earn less than $24,000 you essentially have no income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies