Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 03:51 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Rightfully yours???

Most successful people study hard, make better life choices, and work hard. And that's a fact.
He means he would kill you for what is "rightfully his."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 03:59 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You mean if I refuse to obey, you would kill me, right?

Please explain to me how that is not violence.
The violator of this legislation is a company, not a person, so good luck making the case that they're in danger of being killed for noncompliance.

And just so we're on the same page, is your position that the govt should not be able to commit violence against citizens?

Old 08-18-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
The violator of this legislation is a company, not a person, so good luck making the case that they're in danger of being killed for noncompliance.

And just so we're on the same page, is your position that the govt should not be able to commit violence against citizens?
Nope. Nobody should use the government to commit violence against peaceful people.

Last edited by lifeexplorer; 08-18-2020 at 04:22 PM..

Old 08-18-2020, 04:29 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nope. Nobody should use the government to commit violence against peaceful people.
And your definition of "violence" is enforcing the law?

Old 08-18-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
How do you enforce the law without violence?

Old 08-18-2020, 08:22 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,246 times
Quote:
Government is violence, period (or the threat thereof). Everything government does is by compelling people to do things or preventing them from doing others. There is nothing voluntary about it.

You may argue that some goals, laws, or policies are just, but you cannot deny that violence is the means by which they are accomplished.

“The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form.†-Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by Joey2k; 08-18-2020 at 08:50 PM..

Old 08-18-2020, 08:39 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,234,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
EVERYONE should pay an amount of FEDERAL INCOME TAXES. 45% pay ZERO federal income taxes. Maybe if we ALL had skin in the game, we would care more about where the money went. Why should 45% get to spend MY tax money? If you don't pay federal income taxes, you shouldn't vote. Isn't it obvious that all the people who pay no taxes are going to keep voting to tax OTHER PEOPLE MORE with little to no regard as to how that money is spent?
Even poor people pay taxes; sales, gas and real estate taxes. I am more concerned with the very, very wealthy paying their fair share.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:57 PM

1,406 posts, read 801,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Even poor people pay taxes; sales, gas and real estate taxes. I am more concerned with the very, very wealthy paying their fair share.
They are:

"In 2016, the top 1 percent of taxpayers accounted for more income taxes paid than the bottom 90 percent combined. The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid roughly $538 billion, or 37.3 percent of all income taxes, while the bottom 90 percent paid about $440 billion, or 30.5 percent of all income taxes."

https://taxfoundation.org/summary-la...income%20taxes.

I like the idea of a national sales tax, with certain necessity categories exempted or taxed at a reduced rate (medicine/health, grocery staples, etc). That way you can do whatever creative accounting you want, but you can't actually use the money without paying taxes.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:59 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post

I chose to stop being broke ass poor and try and give my kids a better life, not my problem the government thinks it has the right to rip people off and allow colleges to do the same thing by burying them in debt for 20 or 30 years. They want their money back then come and get it via taking my tax refund

so what you are saying is YOUR WORD..YOUR BOND is just crap

you entered a contract to get a loan for the college degree YOU CHOSE... they we nice enough to contract you that loan... your word, your bond says you are responsible to pay it back....

so what you are showing everyone (to include your kids) is that your word means nothing, your bond means nothing, and that you have zero morals or ethics

Old 08-19-2020, 01:59 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There goes the Democratic party. No playing identity politics if everyone actually contributes something.
identity politics has nothing to do with taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies