Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 08:18 AM

304 posts, read 151,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Who will enforce it? A very large number of America has had it with this crap. We’ve had it
COVID-19 will enforce it and it doesn't care how you feel about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 08:22 AM

1,154 posts, read 366,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A percentage of those returning home are asymptomatic and positive.

And so it spreads.
Yep. So many colleges seem to think that sending the students home at Thanksgiving means all will be well. Thanksgiving, a holiday marked by large family gatherings. It boggles the mind. I raised this issue with my kids, reminding them that if they chose to move on campus, their return to the family home would require a strict two-week quarantine before they could interact with other family members. Additionally, should they become ill, they would be dealing with it on their own. I wonder if other families have also thought this through.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:25 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
Yep. So many colleges seem to think that sending the students home at Thanksgiving means all will be well. Thanksgiving, a holiday marked by large family gatherings. It boggles the mind. I raised this issue with my kids, reminding them that if they chose to move on campus, their return to the family home would require a strict two-week quarantine before they could interact with other family members. I wonder if other families have also thought about this.
I think we'll be in a different place with this virus by Thanksgiving.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:26 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr2 View Post
COVID-19 will enforce it and it doesn't care how you feel about it.
That is not an answer. Seriously how do the leftists plan to enforce a second lockdown when they could not enforce the first one. How will you keep us in our homes? How will you stop us from organizing against this? Most red state officials and local sheriffs refused to enforce lockdowns. How will you make them do it?

The protests that started in Michigan ended the first lockdown.....how will you enforce it?

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelinnen View Post
That many out of 30k seems under control to me. How many have symptoms even? The mass testing is a waste of time and only drives hysteria
Problem is that you put that 0.5% into lecture halls and dorms and cafeterias (and parties) and it spreads like wild-fire.

I don't know the solution, so I'm not offering one, but I understand the reasoning.

Have you ever done a "degree of separation" study? It's sort of like that. In a campus of 30k, it's only a matter of a very short time before that half a percent is in contact, directly, or by once or twice removed, with the majority of the campus.

Again, I don't know the solution, but I do understand the challenge.

One thing we should all be able to agree on by now is that no matter what decision is made, a lot of people will not agree with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think we'll be in a different place with this virus by Thanksgiving.
Explain?

Old 08-18-2020, 08:30 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottkd71 View Post
Explain?
I just think we'll either have a vaccine, or better ways to treat the virus, or better quicker ways to test, or it will be tamped down.

I don't see how we can sustain ourselves on this precipice of contagion forever. Either it will ramp way up, or ramp way down, IMHO.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I just think we'll either have a vaccine, or better ways to treat the virus, or better quicker ways to test, or it will be tamped down.

I don't see how we can sustain ourselves on this precipice of contagion forever. Either it will ramp way up, or ramp way down, IMHO.
I hope you’re right about an effective vaccine, I really do, because nothing would make me happier, but I remain dubious that one can be in wide distribution before next year at the earliest. That means the return of students to their homes for the holidays brings with it a huge risk of spreading the virus. I’m happy and relieved my kids decided to do a remote semester; nonetheless, I think this fall is going to be an absolute **** show of community spread.

Last edited by abbottkd71; 08-18-2020 at 10:00 AM..

Old 08-18-2020, 08:51 AM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
[quote=danielj72;58934138]That is not an answer. Seriously how do the leftists plan to enforce a second lockdown when they could not enforce the first one. How will you keep us in our homes? How will you stop us from organizing against this? Most red state officials and local sheriffs refused to enforce lockdowns. How will you make them do it?

The protests that started in Michigan ended the first lockdown.....how will you enforce it?[/QUOTE

A climbing death toll should take care of it. You can't simply ignore the problem and hope it goes away. You have to mitigate the damage in order to move forward. Half of the population want even wear a mask or social distance (self discipline). There is no easy answer but ignoring the problem is certainly not the answer.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:56 AM

17,623 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr2 View Post
It has been obvious this was going to happen at many universities and public school systems once we decided to prioritize opening bars, restaurants and gyms over getting rid of the virus. Lots of schools are reopening because they are desperate to defend not giving students refunds, and lots of schools will soon be reclosing. Count on it.
Bars haven't been open in South Florida since March, but keeping spreading misinformation and panic. And please stay in Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies