Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 06:46 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
A vote for Biden is a vote for the violence to continue. Democrat run cities are being destroyed. We need more police not less.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Too bad. The residents are getting exactly that for which they voted.
Agreed, except the rioting/looting and the shootings are two different things. Although, I do think the whole "defund the police" rhetoric is causing the shootings to increase. The criminals feel emboldened now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 07:05 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Everyone keeps talking about the gangs and drugs causing the violence, and some of it does. The highlighted is where the majority of the issues are. The "beefs" and "dis's" are the issues. Weakness get's one killed in the hood , so if someone is dissed , they have to retort, and the only way is violence. Violence seems to be the only thing understood, the lack of respect for human life, the lack of any sort of empathy. These are the issues. The fact that it is ingrained itself into a culture is appalling. Throwing money at the issue isn't going to help, we've done that. How do you completely rewire generations of this type of behavior ?
And this is why I brought it up. No one talks about the kind of anger and hatred some people in those environments have. Plenty of people making this about politics. Not one person has talked about mental health. And indeed, the culture in the ghetto is that: If you're weak, you get killed. Living and dying through violence is the norm in the ghetto.

In fact, I watched Dangerous Minds a few times. One of the quotes from the movie was this: "In my neighborhood, if you don't stand up you can't walk down the street, because everyone will attack you".

That is basically the ghetto right there. You survive through violence. It's constant war. And then there are those who don't care if they live or die, so they don't mind killing other people. And this is something neither D or R can fix. Prison doesn't even seem to fix it. Prison itself is a violent place. Threat of the death barely scares some people. And I notice it's specifically a problem in major cities and some of the smaller industrial cities. Rural areas, not nearly as much.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:14 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And this is why I brought it up. No one talks about the kind of anger and hatred some people in those environments have. Plenty of people making this about politics. Not one person has talked about mental health. And indeed, the culture in the ghetto is that: If you're weak, you get killed. Living and dying through violence is the norm in the ghetto.

In fact, I watched Dangerous Minds a few times. One of the quotes from the movie was this: "In my neighborhood, if you don't stand up you can't walk down the street, because everyone will attack you".

That is basically the ghetto right there. You survive through violence. It's constant war. And then there are those who don't care if they live or die, so they don't mind killing other people. And this is something neither D or R can fix. Prison doesn't even seem to fix it. Prison itself is a violent place. Threat of the death barely scares some people. And I notice it's specifically a problem in major cities and some of the smaller industrial cities. Rural areas, not nearly as much.
The answer is dignity and value. until we can offer those in meaningful ways we are just going to perpetuate the misery.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:

Here is the thing. Nothing will solve these issues, until they can be addressed and talked about without being called a racist , bigot, etc. Politicians skirt the issues because it will end their career. Instead we blame "the guns" and many gullible people around the country buy into it. Either because they are uninformed or fear being called a racist,bigot, etc.

I know many don't like Candace Owens but she does bring up many good points on the topic. Although, she focuses a lot on the "no father" thing, which is important but not the only issue.

My friend was raised in Detroit, by a single mom, one that worked two jobs to put him and his brother in private schools. She was the mom that would show up in school to provide a beat down when he got in trouble. Even after all that , both my friend and his brother ended up in the drug trade. After the bother got killed, my friend said this is enough and pulled himself out. What his mom instilled in him helped him later. Now he's making 6 figures, as an IT guy. Crazy thing, his mom , in her late 60's is working on her Doctorate. So , even with good parenting, things can go awry. Would it have been different had they had a father around ? Who knows.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:19 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,315 times
Quote:

Real question:

These demonstrations. The moms. The protests. The vigils for BLM.

If this same big energy was focused on occupying the ghettoes all summer long in the worst areas of this violence.... do you think it would help change the situation?

If these armies of people could be mobilized to clean up the ghettos, help old ladies fix up their homes. Make it safe for businesses to operate.

I think that would be more affirmative and more likely to help black lives in tangible ways.

If "the movement" was actually about tangible change, of course. And not power politics.

Old 08-20-2020, 07:32 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:

I've talked about it repeatedly. I even suggested that mental health be part of any reparations package if one ever goes through - and black posters here were saying that was b.s.

The psyche of people who live in war zones is not normal and then it becomes generational because it's learned.

And thug culture just contributes to the whole mess by featuring it in videos. Six year old girls twerking and five year olds flashing gang signs or holding guns is sick stuff.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:16 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Exactly. I don't know what is going on over there, except for what i can google. I don't know the whole story, just like you don't know exactly what is going on here. We have a violent crime issue in our inner cities. We have thousands of firearms laws already on the books. Criminals don't care about laws. More won't help.

So this is bollox ?

"London's murder numbers now exceed New York's. But the new murders teach old lessons: Drug wars are bad and weapon laws don't stop crime."

https://reason.com/2018/04/09/london...-re-teach-old/
Londons murder rate does NOT exceed New Yorks! Its not even close, it won't ever be worse than in New York because of the guns, get back to me when London really does have more murders over ANY given year.

Incidently murders by knife are surprisingly similar between the US and the UK and yet you are 200 times more likely to be shot in the US............I think I know why, its not 'rocket science'

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/18/w...gbr/index.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-436284...%20last%20year.

https://www.ft.com/content/a444b43e-...4-fa51c591cc32

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_New_York_City
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_London

Old 08-20-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Londons murder rate does NOT exceed New Yorks! Its not even close, it won't ever be worse than in New York because of the guns, get back to me when London really does have more murders over ANY given year.

Incidently murders by knife are surprisingly similar between the US and the UK and yet you are 200 times more likely to be shot in the US............I think I know why, its not 'rocket science'

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/18/w...gbr/index.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-436284...%20last%20year.

https://www.ft.com/content/a444b43e-...4-fa51c591cc32

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_New_York_City
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_London
Good for you. Glad to hear it .

Old 08-20-2020, 09:35 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
The answer is dignity and value. until we can offer those in meaningful ways we are just going to perpetuate the misery.
And all of this is something political parties won't solve.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:49 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Good for you. Glad to hear it .
Thought you would be pleased, you did say you cared
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies