Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 07:32 AM

2,774 posts, read 901,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Oh gosh, I'm shakin' in my boots. Cops shooting unarmed people in the back (or stepping on their necks until they die) is NOT law and order. That's criminal cops.
Have you had personal dealings with the police?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 07:47 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,275,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
Have you had personal dealings with the police?
Yes, I'm an old white retired guy. My experience is generally good and I don't hate cops. Worked with them and have gotten ticket or two without incident, though it's been years. My experience isn't at isssue. The experiences of countless black and brown people is. And I believe them. Why wouldn't anyone?

I believe there has been a militarization of police forces, evidenced partly by the Punisher logo proliferation, that is an unhealthy mindset for the cops as well as society. Their job is to hold the safety of society above their own. Shooting unarmed people running away in the back is not that. We need to pay them more, be pickier in hiring and hold them to that standard.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:56 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,021 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm an old white retired guy. My experience is generally good and I don't hate cops. Worked with them and have gotten ticket or two without incident, though it's been years. My experience isn't at isssue. The experiences of countless black and brown people is. And I believe them. Why wouldn't anyone?

I believe there has been a militarization of police forces, evidenced partly by the Punisher logo proliferation, that is an unhealthy mindset for the cops as well as society. Their job is to hold the safety of society above their own. Shooting unarmed people running away in the back is not that. We need to pay them more, be pickier in hiring and hold them to that standard.
I agree that they should be held to higher standards are they should be provided with better training. I have had mixed interactions with the police, some bad and some good. I think police should be trained in deescalation and they should be trained in some effective hand to hand combat skills. They should also go through constant psych evaluations to gauge how the job is affecting their mental health.

There are also countless black and brown people who generally don’t have any bad dealings with the police and countless white people who do. I think framing this from solely a racial lens is a losing battle and undermines the point to be made.

What we do have is an elevated problem in the black community, some of this is through increased run ins with the police and higher crime rates, some I would say is due to racial bias. Police brutality affects everyone and people framing this as a problem that only inflicts the black and Latino community undermines the cause.

Btw, you might want to take down your tag below your username. There is no more Redskins team name.

Last edited by ecko_complex24; 08-19-2020 at 08:05 AM..

Old 08-19-2020, 08:04 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Anybody that has been arrested hates cops
That is because when they Decided to break the law all cops became adversaries automatically

Old 08-19-2020, 08:06 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
It's so quaint to see the righties pretend like they care about gangsters killing each other for any reason other than to justify cops killing unarmed minorities.
Its so quaint the left pretends care about black people dying, but ignore it when it's gangsters killing each other.

Rather than paint all cops with that broad brush maybe you should focus on the actual guilty ones.

look what the racist BLM is doing. How many deaths or injuries have happened from their rioting and looting? How many innocent bystanders have they injured? Where is your moral outrage?

Old 08-19-2020, 08:07 AM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
I agree that they should be held to higher standards are they should be provided with better training. I have had mixed interactions with the police, some bad and some good. I think police should be trained in deescalation and they should be trained in some effective hand to hand combat skills. They should also go through constant psych evaluations to gauge how the job is affecting their mental health.

There are also countless black and brown people who generally don’t have any bad dealings with the police and countless white people who do. I think framing this from solely a racial lens is a losing battle and undermines the point to be made.

Btw, you might want to take down your tag below your username. There is no more Redskins team name.
It's the statistical breakdown of how frequently it happens to one vs the other that is key here. And I do agree there is more than a racial component. I'd love to see the training that young guys get in various departments. I'm pretty sure some of it would terrify me.

I guess it's gonna be HTTWFT?

Need a new license plate for the front of my truck too. That's a battle I've given up on, however. I hope our new name, when they get around to it, will fit into the song somehow. That's part of me.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:09 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post

The best H2H combat skills to take someone into custody with “minimum” damage on both parties are *drum roll* 1) knee on body and 2) control head movement. Unfortunately, a lot of LE agencies in the US banned or will ban these techniques. These two techniques are used in every grappling martial arts (Judo, BJJ, wrestling, Sambo, etc) to control your opponent.

My BG: Army veteran, Army Combative level III, 11 years in LE, LE Defensive Tactic instructor, Judo black belt, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu brown belt

Old 08-19-2020, 08:11 AM
TKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Its so quaint the left pretends care about black people dying, but ignore it when it's gangsters killing each other.

Rather than paint all cops with that broad brush maybe you should focus on the actual guilty ones.

look what the racist BLM is doing. How many deaths or injuries have happened from their rioting and looting? How many innocent bystanders have they injured? Where is your moral outrage?
We don't ignore it, you all do when it comes time to talk about entitlements and ways to help poor people, they don't exist anymore and you all are budget hawks suddenly.

Not painting with a broad brush at all. Most cops are fine people but they, almost across the board, keep the bad ones in their departments safe and in place by refusing to out them.

BLM isn't rioting. Rioters are criminals who use the opportunity of a legal, peaceful, constitutional BLM protest for a just reason, to cause mayhem. They should go to jail.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
The best H2H combat skills to take someone into custody with “minimum” damage on both parties are *drum roll* 1) knee on body and 2) control head movement. Unfortunately, a lot of LE agencies in the US banned or will ban these techniques. These two techniques are used in every grappling martial arts (Judo, BJJ, wrestling, Sambo, etc) to control your opponent.

My BG: Army veteran, Army Combative level III, 11 years in LE, LE Defensive Tactic instructor, Judo black belt, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu brown belt
Except there was a knee to the neck with multiple officers standing around and a person in cuffs. This needs to be analyzed on a case by case basis. I don’t think a knee to the body is a bad form of dealing with a combative citizen.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
It's the statistical breakdown of how frequently it happens to one vs the other that is key here. And I do agree there is more than a racial component. I'd love to see the training that young guys get in various departments. I'm pretty sure some of it would terrify me.

I guess it's gonna be HTTWFT?

Need a new license plate for the front of my truck too. That's a battle I've given up on, however. I hope our new name, when they get around to it, will fit into the song somehow. That's part of me.
I cringe at the training that would occur in these departments as well. We can look at the issues at hand and understand that it is a multi faceted issue.

Haha I have to get used to calling it the Washington Football Team myself lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies