Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you take from these 4 Republican presidents?
Ronald Reagan 14 20.59%
George HW Bush 34 50.00%
George W Bush 3 4.41%
Donald Trump 17 25.00%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 06:36 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times

Advertisements

I think W is worst.

At least with Trump, I more or less know what he's thinking. He HAD charisma and leadership, though they are not transferrable to his presidency.

I felt both Bush's ran a game of deception. But W did so without having any redeeming qualities. He had no leadership ability, no intelligence, no charisma. At least Trump provides comedic relief.

I think at no time was the country more divided than it was under Reagan ... except now of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 07:00 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Obviously none of them totally fit my point of view, but President HW Bush Sr. gets my vote because he actually was able to think long term with issues such as environmental policy, which he strengthened towards anti pollution measures for air and water.

President Reagan was a wonderful negotiator and spokesperson for the optimism for the USA but had some ideas on "trickle down" economics and deregulation which have exacerbated plutocracy/social disparity issues, which have only gotten worse since he took office as his policies were the catalyst for the tenuous line that Americans walk between themselves and utter disaster.

President George W. Bush just had consistently bad policy ideas altogether and got us into too many costly wars we didn't need to be in.

But the difference in all three of these and Trump is that even though I may think many of their ideas would result in a bad quality of life for the USA, I still believe they had the best interests of the USA at heart in their minds, even if it was a vision of how thing work that I wouldn't approve of.

In contrast, Trump is solely out for Trump and I think he would throw this entire country under the bus if it benefited him, and he may even pledge allegiance to another country that doesn't have US citizens' best interests at heart if he feels it would be beneficial to Donald J. Trump. That's why I think he's a whole different level than the other three.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:17 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times
They all suck, each in their own way, but looking back HW was definitely still the best. I liked George H W Bush a great deal at the time and coincidentally became much more involved in the local/state party around that time but I have evolved away from that sort of thinking and moved on.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I think W is worst.

At least with Trump, I more or less know what he's thinking. He HAD charisma and leadership, though they are not transferrable to his presidency.

I felt both Bush's ran a game of deception. But W did so without having any redeeming qualities. He had no leadership ability, no intelligence, no charisma. At least Trump provides comedic relief.

I think at no time was the country more divided than it was under Reagan ... except now of course.
So many people I know say this and it always surprises me. I can't laugh at someone who is making my blood boil. Maybe when he's out I'll look back and laugh like this was some kind of SNL world, but for now - I just don't get it.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:56 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
1. Eisenhower <-- gets extra points for pro-union and pro-public works
2. George H. W. Bush
3. Reagan
4. Ford
5. George W. Bush
6. Nixon
99. Trump
99th best out of 44 Presidents

(Since Cleveland counts twice)

Last edited by Bureaucat; 08-18-2020 at 08:30 PM..

Old 08-18-2020, 07:59 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
So many people I know say this and it always surprises me. I can't laugh at someone who is making my blood boil. Maybe when he's out I'll look back and laugh like this was some kind of SNL world, but for now - I just don't get it.
The only people laughing are those that hate America.

Trump is no laughing matter.

He’s a clear and present danger to democratic institutions.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:07 PM

4,511 posts, read 4,043,147 times
You know how they say when you are looking for reviews, look for the 3 stars for the honest reviews. Funny how they're all 1 stars here.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:10 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
The only people laughing are those that hate America.

Trump is no laughing matter.

He’s a clear and present danger to democratic institutions.
Well, I'm in the minority here because while I loathe Trump - I think the Democrats are a clear and present danger to Democracy with all that's been going on the past several months.

I'm completely disgusted with both sides.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:19 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,902 times
Quote:
In my lifetime:

1. Eisenhower
2. George H. W. Bush
3. Reagan
4. Ford
5. George W. Bush
6. Nixon
7. Trump
I agree with these rankings. I wasn’t a big HW fan at the time, but in retrospect he guided us through the end of Soviet Union and the Cold War, and showed the right way to run a war: go in with overwhelming force, accomplish your defined objectives, then get out.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:54 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,780,809 times
Quote:
99th best out of 44 Presidents

(Since Cleveland counts twice)
I assume he was looking to the far future and feeling safe in the prediction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies