Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 08:43 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,340,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
how many of those 388k + can you make a case for being prominent. The thread is about prominent Democrats, not just any Democrats.
So ordinary people don't count? You should know that there are far more ordinary people that vote than there are prominent people. I can tell you that a very LARGE portion of those who plan to vote for Trump will not openly admit it due to the harassment, violence, shunning and threats to ruin their lives and careers. They call themselves "the silent majority". I believe they have a FaceBook page too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 08:43 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
A tale of two facebook groups ...

Rebublican Voters Against Trump - 70,974 followers

Walk Away Campaign - 388,543 members

If you're unclear, there's close to 400,000 Democrat defectors right there.

You're welcome.
Keep in mind, people who turned 50 this year were already out of high school and college when the internet became prevalent. They are less apt to be on Facebook. Using your measurement is the same as using CD P&OC as the measurement for if Trump is going to win or not. The poll here says he'll win 75/25. This is obviously a very right-leaning forum. I wouldn't rely on either as a valid data point. Sure, it tells the story that the poster wants to tell, but isn't necessarily a valid data point to use.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Keep in mind, people who turned 50 this year were already out of high school and college when the internet became prevalent. They are less apt to be on Facebook. Using your measurement is the same as using CD P&OC as the measurement for if Trump is going to win or not. The poll here says he'll win 75/25. This is obviously a very right-leaning forum. I wouldn't rely on either as a valid data point. Sure, it tells the story that the poster wants to tell, but isn't necessarily a valid data point to use.
I think you underestimate those of us who are over 50. The vast majority of my FB friends are over 50. The younger crowd prefers things like Twitter, Instagram, etc. FB is more for the older crowd these days. Republicans have also created their own quasi-Twitter platform called Parler that has been getting quite a few democrat defectors.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:52 AM

6,097 posts, read 2,717,141 times
No prominent Democrat in their right mind would just Trumps band of criminal cronies.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:54 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
So ordinary people don't count? You should know that there are far more ordinary people that vote than there are prominent people. I can tell you that a very LARGE portion of those who plan to vote for Trump will not openly admit it due to the harassment, violence, shunning and threats to ruin their lives and careers. They call themselves "the silent majority". I believe they have a FaceBook page too.
If it were really true that there were mass Democrat defections you would expect to see that reflected in prominent/powerful members of the party. However we observe the opposite happening. Logic. Any one can AstroTurf a few hundred thousand anonymous/faked up bot social media accounts with money and the desire to do so. Little bit harder to get public figures on the record as swapping sides.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueguy58 View Post
No prominent Democrat in their right mind would just Trumps band of criminal cronies.
Oh yes they would, they just know better than to advertise it. Do you seriously think there are no democrats who are fed up with the nonsense going on within their own party? Defund the police, defund border security, defund prisons, provide free UBI, healthcare and education to everybody, including illegal immigrants, etc. Then we have the rioting, looting and burning down cities all over the place and democrat leaders are allowing it and in some cases, encouraging it. C'mon, you can't seriously think ALL democrats are ok with that can you? All of this nonsense is going to hand Trump the election on a silver platter.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:01 AM

340 posts, read 123,885 times
Jeff Van Drew-Democratic Congressman from New York switched parties and supports Trump now

Old 08-19-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
If it were really true that there were mass Democrat defections you would expect to see that reflected in prominent/powerful members of the party. However we observe the opposite happening. Logic. Any one can AstroTurf a few hundred thousand anonymous/faked up bot accounts with money and the desire to do so. Little bit harder to get public figures on the record as swapping sides.
Back to the old "bot" thing. Why don't you join #WalkAway facebook page and actually follow it for a little while? It's actually pretty eye opening and I've not observed even one bot in the 2 years I've been on that page. Those are REAL people with REAL lives and REAL stories. Public figures will not go on record in support of Trump because we all know he is not a great person and he says and tweets stupid crap. However, that doesn't mean they want dementia Joe and flip flop Harris in office either. They will quietly cast their votes for Trump and deny they voted for him.

I know a LOT of people from both parties, libertarians and independents that voted for him in 2016 because they couldn't stomach an HRC presidency but they sure as heck don't brag about it. I can tell you to this day, my own kids do not know that I voted against Hillary in 2016. I'd probably never see my grandkids again if I told them. Not that they were HRC fans themselves but half of my kids despise Trump.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:07 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,606 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Well let's see.

There's Kanye West and that Dr. Karlyn woman.

But I can't think of any prominent democrats who now support Trump who appear to be free of mental illness.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:07 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
Back to the old "bot" thing. Why don't you join #WalkAway facebook page and actually follow it for a little while? It's actually pretty eye opening and I've not observed even one bot in the 2 years I've been on that page. Those are REAL people with REAL lives and REAL stories. Public figures will not go on record in support of Trump because we all know he is not a great person and he says and tweets stupid crap. However, that doesn't mean they want dementia Joe and flip flop Harris in office either. They will quietly cast their votes for Trump and deny they voted for him.

I know a LOT of people from both parties, libertarians and independents that voted for him in 2016 because they couldn't stomach an HRC presidency but they sure as heck don't brag about it. I can tell you to this day, my own kids do not know that I voted against Hillary in 2016. I'd probably never see my grandkids again if I told them. Not that they were HRC fans themselves but half of my kids despise Trump.
Nah I don't do Facebook, it's cancer.

Guess we will see who is right soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies