Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 07:59 AM

376 posts, read 102,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Uber's argument is that they are a platform, not an employer. They claim that drivers are not core to their business. Duh, no drivers, no Uber. They claim all they do is bring together riders and drivers. Even a blind man on a galloping horse can see that is bogus.
Are you an employee of City Data because you use City Data's platform? Same thing. Uber provides a platform for people to connect with drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 08:06 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Why not just call a regular taxi service?
Because:

1) They often cost more in my experience

2) You don't have the worry of flagging down a regular taxi, only for them to ultimately decide they don't want to drop you off at your designated location for whatever reason. You don't have that worry with Lyft/Uber.

3) Sometimes, where you're at, not always easy to get a regular taxi to come by

Old 08-20-2020, 08:53 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So your headline is misleading. Uber/Lyft are THREATENING...doesn't mean they are shutting down.

Let us see what happens.
Uber and Lyft pretty clearly stated that if they do not get the relief that they seek, then they will shut down - TONIGHT. There is no relief coming. The credibility of this company's executive leadership is now publicly on the line for all to see. So they cannot back down now.

I am so glad to see these companies standing up to these totalitarian Democrat left slime-balls that run the dysfunctional state of California. Leftists in a position of government power are so arrogant that they think they can proclaim any act they wish and the laws of supply and demand will suspend themselves, or at least these companies will just decide to disregard them.

I hope that Uber and Lyft stick with this and are successful in what they are trying to do here.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:27 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Uber and Lyft pretty clearly stated that if they do not get the relief that they seek, then they will shut down - TONIGHT. There is no relief coming. The credibility of this company's executive leadership is now publicly on the line for all to see. So they cannot back down now.

I am so glad to see these companies standing up to these totalitarian Democrat left slime-balls that run the dysfunctional state of California. Leftists in a position of government power are so arrogant that they think they can proclaim any act they wish and the laws of supply and demand will suspend themselves, or at least these companies will just decide to disregard them.

I hope that Uber and Lyft stick with this and are successful in what they are trying to do here.
Same came be said of these totalitarian companies.

No, drivers aren’t employees.

Yes, they don’t get paid enough.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:50 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
False

1. taxi's are more expensive

2. taxi's dont accept credit cards
Taxis do accept credit cards.

Old 08-20-2020, 09:52 AM

17,618 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
*shrug* I'll let CA worry about CA on this one.
Except if these lunatics win the national election in November, you get to worry about it in a few months.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:49 AM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im just curious, Do most Uber and Lyft drivers inform their insurance company they are using their personal vehicle for commercial work? I would think the rates would go up significantly. I know when I delivered pizza years ago, NONE of the drivers told their insurance company they delivered pizza as a job.
Uber has its own extra insurance for drivers who don't have rideshare coverage from their regular insurance company.

That said, most insurance companies can give (sell) you a rideshare rider, where basically they cover any accident that happens while you're doing ridesharing.

And some don't, such as Geico. If they're your carrier, the only way you can get ridesharing coverage from them, is to purchase "commercial" insurance for your car.

As I mentioned, Uber has an insurance company of its own, which is said to provide the extra insurance you need in case your own insurance company isn't providing that extra. BUT... as a lawyer pointed out to me, Uber's insurance company works for Uber, not for you. So it's in their best interest to cut down any amount they may have to give you if you're in an accident.

While driving for Uber, I had an accident while I had an Uber passenger in the back. Another car tailended me, his airbags deployed etc. I had Geico commercial insurance. The passenger was OK, not hurt, but my car (and I) were somewhat banged up. Geico treated me right, established the the other driver was solely at fault, got his inurance (Farmers, yuck) to pay for my repairs and PT, the whole nine yards. They weren't interested in dealing with Uber's insurance, so neither was I.

Old 08-20-2020, 12:06 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,141,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Uber has its own extra insurance for drivers who don't have rideshare coverage from their regular insurance company.

That said, most insurance companies can give (sell) you a rideshare rider, where basically they cover any accident that happens while you're doing ridesharing.

And some don't, such as Geico. If they're your carrier, the only way you can get ridesharing coverage from them, is to purchase "commercial" insurance for your car.

As I mentioned, Uber has an insurance company of its own, which is said to provide the extra insurance you need in case your own insurance company isn't providing that extra. BUT... as a lawyer pointed out to me, Uber's insurance company works for Uber, not for you. So it's in their best interest to cut down any amount they may have to give you if you're in an accident.

While driving for Uber, I had an accident while I had an Uber passenger in the back. Another car tailended me, his airbags deployed etc. I had Geico commercial insurance. The passenger was OK, not hurt, but my car (and I) were somewhat banged up. Geico treated me right, established the the other driver was solely at fault, got his inurance (Farmers, yuck) to pay for my repairs and PT, the whole nine yards. They weren't interested in dealing with Uber's insurance, so neither was I.

You would been paid either way in California. The driver that hit you is at fault, your insurance is irrelevant.

Old 08-20-2020, 12:10 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,125,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Government once again kills off services, jobs and innovation with “regulation”.

https://www.foxla.com/news/uber-lyft...a-by-weeks-end
I take it the cab companies will now come back to business like before.

Old 08-20-2020, 12:12 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
You would been paid either way in California. The driver that hit you is at fault, your insurance is irrelevant.
Probably true.

But if YOU tailend somebody else, you'll need one of the insurance types described above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies