Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 01:40 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times

Advertisements

Leave. I mean it. get the heck out. take your communist junk and freaking go walk some other sidewalk.

short answer. I LOVE living in America. and i walk in it a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 01:40 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,429,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
You’re not depressed? You consistently sound downtrodden and miserable to me. That’s a shame.
I have a pretty happy outlook, but when I think about the country as a whole I feel empty, so I avoid doing it.

Politics has lost interest for me because I don't really care about this country.

A society would have a shared political, cultural, and religious identity with structures and natural elements which reflect the identity of the region.

Go across this country, strip malls, roads, and disneyland lite entertainment centers filled with people I have no time for speaking languages I don't understand.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:43 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I have a pretty happy outlook, but when I think about the country as a whole I feel empty, so I avoid doing it.

Politics has lost interest for me because I don't really care about this country.

A society would have a shared political, cultural, and religious identity with structures and natural elements which reflect the identity of the region.

Go across this country, strip malls, roads, and disneyland lite entertainment centers filled with people I have no time for speaking languages I don't understand.
You seem like someone who would be happier living in a kibbutz or a collective. Some people just don’t prefer individualism, they prefer a collective. America is NOT a collective. We believe in individualism here.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:45 PM

25,721 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Do American's like living in this country?
I did at one time. Not anymore. If there were a place to go where the order of the day was individual liberty, non-aggression principle, and non-existent government overreach, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

But there just isn't anyplace that I know of like that. The order of the day is "subjugation" and counter culture self-coronation. So, until we have the technology to colonize other planets, those of us who believe in liberty are screwed. Or until that time we have some sort of grand revolution again.

And our forefathers thought the English crown was repressive and tyrannical. Nothing compared to the Woke Empire.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
You could try meds OP. I wish you well.
Meds are not needed since I'm not depressed.

I'm just wondering since so many people are hotly engaged in the political situation in this country why they care so much.

I guess I could care if I tried, but I'm not feeling up to it.

I think this country is going down the route of more hyper individualism where people are taught they can be/do whatever they want, and immigrants are considered the same as native born citizens.

DC has some real political monuments, but most of the country is dedicated to utilitarian work and consumption, with little room for people to share a cultural, religious, or political identity.

Classes and fields use to all sure a greater purpose, now work is just something you do based on your individual vices and money needs.

Class warfare and ethnic polarization aren't good things, but without a shared purpose that is what this country will get.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:47 PM

8,492 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I did at one time. Not anymore. If there were a place to go where the order of the day was individual liberty, non-aggression principle, and non-existent government overreach, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

But there just isn't anyplace that I know of like that. The order of the day is "subjugation" and counter culture self-coronation. So, until we have the technology to colonize other planets, those of us who believe in liberty are screwed. Or until that time we have some sort of grand revolution again.
I look around, and the only places I see for that are the wrong versions of it. The US is still pretty darn unique in that regard.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:48 PM

2,400 posts, read 754,643 times
Quote:
Meds are not needed since I'm not depressed.

I'm just wondering since so many people are hotly engaged in the political situation in this country why they care so much.

I guess I could care if I tried, but I'm not feeling up to it.

I think this country is going down the route of more hyper individualism where people are taught they can be/do whatever they want, and immigrants are considered the same as native born citizens.

DC has some real political monuments, but most of the country is dedicated to utilitarian work and consumption, with little room for people to share a cultural, religious, or political identity.

Classes and fields use to all sure a greater purpose, now work is just something you do based on your individual vices and money needs.

Class warfare and ethnic polarization aren't good things, but without a shared purpose that is what this country will get.
Maybe they could just kind of zonk you out so you think you’re in the Soviet Union or something so you could be happy.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
You seem like someone who would be happier living in a kibbutz or a collective. Some people just don’t prefer individualism, they prefer a collective. America is NOT a collective. We believe in individualism here.
I believe that.

I also think Americans will be happier with a shared cultural identity and focus on none utilitarian labor like monuments to spiritual, political, or cultural forces.

Some diversity is good, like I don't think everyone should be part of the same church, but at some level globalization and hyper individualism will exhaust America.

I think, Americans have proved me wrong before.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:51 PM

866 posts, read 319,676 times
Quote:
Well I count Austin as one of the most depressing places in the country, concrete roads and buildings filled with hyper professional individuals who care more about their personal image than their place and duty to society.

I'm not depressed, but when I drive to a bookstore or grocery store, everything around me feels empty. People don't smile or share the same interests, and everything around you has no significance to the country as a whole.

I just stop thinking about the country to the point that I don't care. However I'd much rather live here than in the Favela in Rio de janeiro.

Still, I just can't muster up the energy to care about much else, I don't feel we live in a cohesive society with a shared culture and purpose.
Sounds like you feel empty. Maybe change your outlook on life and your expectations.

Old 08-20-2020, 01:53 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,000 times
The US hasn’t had negative net migration with a single country in over 100 years. I’d say a lot of people like living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies