Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2020, 09:58 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
The problem with class warfare today is the idea that everyone deserves the accessibility of wealth and that the wealthy are dedicated more to their global image than their role in society.

Hereditary transaction, for all its pitfalls, along with stagnant productivity created an upper echelon belief in noblesse-oblige that people obsessed with their own image can't possibly replicate.

Different classes had their purpose and they were part of a collective society with personal freedoms, not an individual society with collective goals.

There was a reason the peasants in most cases were passionately loyal to the noble families in their area and not just resentful.

Now everything is about how far a person can pursue their individual goals; rich people feel they deserve economic power over the rest, the middle class look to promote their own stance, and the poor are relegated to the role of degeneracy and uselessness.
Aye...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2020, 10:14 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:

....... Meds are not needed since I'm not depressed. ......
I don't think you're depressed, I think you're just bored and disillusioned with your life and your society because it's not what you thought it would be. Did you know there's an old song about that? Maybe it's time for you to start a new life for yourself. It's never too late to start a new life.

Otherwise in your old age you might end up finding yourself singing this hit song from 50 years ago as you fade away in your death bed breathing your last breath:

"Is That All There Is?" sung by Peggy Lee - video below

I remember when I was a very little girl, our house caught on fire
I'll never forget the look on my father's face as he gathered me up
in his arms and raced through the burning building out to the pavement
I stood there shivering in my pajamas and watched the whole world go up in flames
And when it was all over I said to myself, is that all there is to a fire
Is that all there is, is that all there is
If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
Let's break out the booze and have a ball
If that's all there is

And when I was twelve years old, my father took me to a circus, the greatest show on earth
There were clowns and elephants and dancing bears
And a beautiful lady in pink tights flew high above our heads
And so I sat there watching the marvelous spectacle
I had the feeling that something was missing
I don't know what, but when it was over
I said to myself, "is that all there is to a circus?
If that's all there is

Then I fell in love, head over heels in love, with the most wonderful boy in the world
We would take long walks by the river or just sit for hours gazing into each other's eyes
We were so very much in love
Then one day he went away and I thought I'd die, but I didn't
and when I didn't I said to myself, is that all there is to love?

I know what you must be saying to yourselves
if that's the way she feels about it why doesn't she just end it all?
Oh, no, not me I'm in no hurry for that final disappointment
for I know just as well as I'm standing here talking to you
when that final moment comes and I'm breathing my last breath, I'll be saying to myself

If that's all there is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCRZZC-DH7M

Old 08-20-2020, 10:31 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,100,287 times
I think that the individualist spirit has caused the US to be a country of innovation and creativity, and used to be cause for optimism. But I think the country has gone too far in that direction. People are happiest when they are interdependent. Social activities, sharing our burdens together, working together to solve problems and rejoice in successes is what make life livable. When we take responsibility for the well being of others in our community, we are also taken care of. That's why churches are often places of belonging and support. We all need to belong, whether it is a church, a place to volunteer, a job, a neighborhood, whatever. People being isolated brings on lonliness and hopelessness. I think Covid isolation has been depressing to the nation, not to mention that we know how many people have died. Plus the fact that we are so divided, we are not pulling together to get through this crisis. There is no easy solution, but I expect that compromise and working much more together must be part of the equation. Only when we do that will we be able to trust each other again. To some extent we will have to tamp down that individualist fervor and learn to live together.

Last edited by G Grasshopper; 08-20-2020 at 10:55 PM..

Old 08-21-2020, 02:07 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Millions of people from all over the world will continue to dream about coming to America, and few people will ever leave this country by surrendering their citizenship.

At the end of the day, it is all about the money and economic opportunities. People are simply not willing to give that up for anything.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:18 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Since the beginning, most all of us have loved this country for its possibilities and the potential to fulfill the promises of the Constitution, even if they are not currently reality. The passion comes from wanting to see that promise fulfilled, even if we disagree vehemently on how to go about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I think that the individualist spirit has caused the US to be a country of innovation and creativity, and used to be cause for optimism. But I think the country has gone too far in that direction. People are happiest when they are interdependent. Social activities, sharing our burdens together, working together to solve problems and rejoice in successes is what make life livable. When we take responsibility for the well being of others in our community, we are also taken care of. That's why churches are often places of belonging and support. We all need to belong, whether it is a church, a place to volunteer, a job, a neighborhood, whatever. People being isolated brings on lonliness and hopelessness. I think Covid isolation has been depressing to the nation, not to mention that we know how many people have died. Plus the fact that we are so divided, we are not pulling together to get through this crisis. There is no easy solution, but I expect that compromise and working much more together must be part of the equation. Only when we do that will we be able to trust each other again. To some extent we will have to tamp down that individualist fervor and learn to live together.
I agree with your assessment. The collectivist nations have, for the most part, nipped this thing in the bud. We can learn a lot from them if we as a people are willing.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:53 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
I miss the america of the 70s and 80s myself for way too many reasons to go into now. And if Biden wins the election I may have no choice but to leave this country. Luckliy I do not believe he has a chance in hell
I think you're probably right about Biden not winning the election. But, hypothetically speaking, if he DID win, where would you go?

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 08-21-2020 at 06:30 AM..

Old 08-21-2020, 05:58 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 20 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Its odd how hyper energized people are when speaking of this country's political future and moral soul.

Social issues have become hot button subjects whereas before people were ridiculed for even thinking about this country as a political unit.

In the 1990s the idea that people lived in a unified landmass called the USA was impossibly difficult to decipher.

Most people thought their independent lives were a larger signifier of who they were than the country they lived in.

No more, today the wave of hold outs have gone adrift and now most everyone has their own opinion about Kamala, Biden, Trump, the history of this country, and its future.

Most of the discussions are relatively shallow but they are happening which is significant.

My Question is why? What about this country makes you interested in its history or its future?

Your personal lives, homes, and jobs can be engaging but what about the landscape of this country makes you dedicated to its well being?

Don't you get depressed walking into a walmart or another generic big boxmart or commuting to and from your home in a stuffy vehicle with an endless expanse of road and concrete? The strip malls are dull and spiritless, work spaces are cookie cutter repeats of one another, there are no religious, spiritual, or political structures in site, only empty realestate blocs.

Most of the places in this country are unwalkable, and going to the countryside leaves you with vast swaths of drug dens, ruined farm mills, roadside garbage, and overweight people who survive off of 7/11 hotdogs.

The cities are also not walkable, the buildings are the same (nashville, Atlanta, Dallas, or Los Angeles, look at the buildings downtown and tell me what unique identifiable trait they have).

People are all the same wherever you go, they dress and talk the same, the food is the same. Occasionally you would come upon a disneyland theme park like time square which is packed with foreigners who have no interest or care in this country, nor do they speak you're own language.

Blacks and whites keep away from each other, and latinos are used for manual labor. Asians have usurped the white professional class while middle easterners have started gas stations, car washers, and other filler business models.

Why do you care?
It beats living in Russia, with it's isolated towns built of sub-standard materials and concrete from the Soviet era.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:08 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,178,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I think you're probably right about Biden winning the election. But, hypothetically speaking, if he DID win, where would you go?
Good question. I have been starting to do some research on other places and asking around for ideas just in case. But luckliy I do not think I need to worry about going.

Old 08-21-2020, 06:30 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post

Great post.

Another immigrant here. Came to the US 23 years ago from Canada, but I'm also the child of immigrants from the UK. I'm a US(/Canadian) citizen.

For the most part, I've really enjoyed living in the US. It's a beautiful, diverse land full of people who, ultimately, are generous and good. It's a country that has accomplished so much (and been through its share of tragedy), yet has incredible potential and optimism.

What I find disheartening, however, is the politics/political climate of the country, which seems to be getting worse. It's very discouraging, and not because I think it foretells the collapse of the USA as some believe (people have been predicting America's demise since her inception). But because I'm astounded by all the level distrust, disrespect, finger-pointing, hostility, and continued sociopolitical ghettoizing.

There seems to be a huge incongruence, a disconnect, between the unwavering warmth and kindness of Americans on a micro level, and the rigid ideology and self-interest of Americans on a macro level. I hope the former prevails, but sometimes I'm not sure it will.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 08-21-2020 at 06:40 AM..

Old 08-21-2020, 06:33 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,429,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
It beats living in Russia, with it's isolated towns built of sub-standard materials and concrete from the Soviet era.
Most of Europe is pretty terrible nowadays.

To the east there is a massive swamp of commie blocs.

The west is commercialized and more and more globalized.

I here Romania is nice but I've never been there. Either way private equity has made sure any non-competitive stable society will be run out of business as operating costs skyrocket and people rush to the made in china carnival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies