Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 02:41 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,901,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You said we had a war because "slave states would not be appeased."

That's pretty simplistic. And factually wrong. Had they let the original 7 states go, there would not have been a war. Had they not held onto forts blocking the South's ports, they wouldn't have been fired on.

People have spent careers studying the causes of the Civil War. People think they can explain it in a couple of words, "states rights" or "slavery."

If you really could describe it in one or two words, the best explanation would be "economics." You had disparate economic systems, manufacturing vs. large farms, that lead to different needs from the federal government. Ultimately that lead to conflict. New England nearly seceded in 1814 over trade and the War of 1812 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartfo...s%20increasing) .

South Carolina nearly seceded in 1831 over tariffs.
I said many things in this thread, & backed up what I said with supporting evidence. You? Not so. What are you selling? The simplistic libertarian ancap free market fundamentalist philosophy?

You're right "South Carolina nearly seceded in 1831 over tariffs."

South Carolina threatened to secede in 1831, & again in 1833 (these events were referred to as the 'Nullification Crisis'). No other state backed them, President Jackson threatened force, & they abandoned their threat.

Then, about 2 decades later (1857), a slaveholder from Virginia wrote a new tariff which passed & was a record-low rate. For the slave-holding plantation owners, it was the lowest tariff rate since 1816 at the time of war.

Edit: to clarify: the Slaver States couldn't be appeased re: their addiction/obsession with owning people as property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 02:56 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,901,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
That was one that needed to be moved.
Why so dishonest? There are way more than just that one & you know it. Again, what are you selling?

Old 08-23-2020, 05:32 AM

58,740 posts, read 27,080,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Bless your heart.

Still railing at Northerners, & behind their backs of course.

There's that Southern hospitality. & distorted culture of honor.

Southern Hospitality Is As Fake As The People Who Practice It

Cause everywhere else in the country, it's called being a two-faced little....

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/sou...eople-practice
"Southern Hospitality Is As Fake As The People Who Practice It"

B.S.
I visited the south for many years before retiring here and for the over 12 years that I have lived here, I NEVER saw it.

What I DID see, is when "northerners" act rudely, they ARE treated just the way they act.

Maybe, it is YOU!

Old 08-23-2020, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Weren't the Jews the first homeless people?
Sorry, I do not know how being homeless has anything to do with slavery.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
It all comes down to white people feeling that their 'way of life' is vanishing, so they want to preserve it and 'Make America Great Again,' which is really code for return to how things were - racism, segregation, misogyny, etc.
"which is really code", I wish people who "claim" there is some code book, would tell me where to get a copy. I've been trying for DECADES to find one, and can"t.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Why deny everything that was done to avert military conflict? By both sides; 2 sides: for slavery & against slavery.

Slave States would not be appeased.

Obscuring American Civil War history in hollow romance did not make any type of sense then & now, in the present day, it's ridiculous.
many Southern states VOTED to leave the union BEFORE the shooting started. "Obscuring American Civil War history", is what MANY do.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
The main goal of the Confederacy dovetails seamlessly with that of the Reality-TV-Show-POTUS.

The Confederacy wanted to form a Country to preserve their 'way of life'. Their 'way of life' was entirely based on race-based enslavement.

The Reality-TV-Show-POTUS aims to preserve his own 'way of life'. His 'way of life' is entirely based on conning as many people as he can.
Only a far left loon, not saying you, of course, could turn a discussion about the South into a childish yammering rant about our president.TDS CONTROLS their minds.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Ban it! Tear it down unlawfully! Hate it! Deface monuments. No need to vote on it. Slavery, racist racist racist racist slavery slavery, repeat.

About 5 or 6 years ago amazon, eBay, and others stopped selling confederate flags due to all the reactionary hoopla. I had no dog in the fight, never lived in the south, never a big Dukes of Hazard fan, and never cared about the confederacy either way.

All this banning frenzy got me interested so I purchased and now fly a confederate flag alongside my U.S. flag as a sign of political protest to those reactionaries tearing down, defacing, and banning not only monuments, statues, and flags associated with the confederacy but others as well.

Confederacy haters are just as annoying as the TDS morons. They go beyond hate and take the law into their own hands. I don’t care if you wear a hat or shirt or fly a flag that’s got BLM on it as annoying and racist as I think that is.

There are many places you can go that if you’re wearing anything MAGA you will get assaulted. Always the left attacking freedom of speech and expression.

Ban it, deface it, tear it down, attack those that display it. I will compensate by putting it back up. Idiots tearing down the Grant statue and Columbus along with plenty of other white representatives that never sided with the confederacy.

I would love to have some of those statues or monuments on my acreage. Don’t like them, ignore them. Seems some enjoy being triggered. Suck it up. Ignore it.

I recently watched a vid of some media outlet interviewing a homeowner that had a flag on his private property. I would have told them to F off. The nerve of these buzzards.
"You do not have the right to not be offended by the free speech of others....."

Many dems are the biggest hypocrites in the world.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We owe the Republican Party ZERO gratitude for manumission. None.

Freeing the slaves was part of an overarching strategy to weaken the south. Not because anyone thought slavery was necessarily wrong.

The South didn’t leave peacefully. They did it militarily. The attack on Sumpter was more than enough reason to aggressively attack the southern states and return some semblance of order to the nation. The South brought it on themselves. They were so paranoid about the end of slavery and their ability to beat, rape, torture, overwork and sell family members away that it led them to make a bad decision.

A bad decision that I’m quite happy they made. Frankly, I wish more Southerners had been killed in the Civil War.
"I wish more Southerners had been killed in the Civil War."

Aw, poor little baby has his "feeling" hurt",

Old 08-23-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nope. It had to be war. There was no other way. The South wouldn’t stop trying to propagate slavery in all the new states despite most of the nation wanting no part of it.

The South had to be physically whipped out of their stupidity.

The South is rampant with high taxes and crime.
"Nope. It had to be war. There was no other way. B.S.

Southern states VOTED to secede form the union when it was found Lincoln was amassing troops to attack the South. All that had to be done was to acknowledge their RIGHT to leave something they freely joined, just as WE wanted to become independent from Britain and gain our OWN INDEPENDENCE, and there never would have been a war.

NORTHERN business owners,"money talks", did NOT want this to happen because of their dependency on cotton.

"The South is rampant with high taxes and crime" , When wa the last time you were in the South, IF you ever were?

Your racist biased has overtaken you.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 08-23-2020 at 06:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies