Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 12:05 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,453,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Dissent View Post
I picked which ones fit Trump since Virtue means MANY things and Trump has many of them.
Well, one of them. But strength and the capacity to act can not be judged in isolation, for that same ability is used in conjunction with harm and evil, so the context of strength and potency defines the man, because many of us are strong but it is what we choose to do with that strength which makes it a virtue. Thanks for responding anyway.

I did notice you did not attribute to Trump the qualities of MORALITY nor VALOR nor RIGHTEOUSNESS

Nor for that matter compassion, mercifulness, modesty nor benevolence

So we are at least in agreement on that.

Last edited by Hesychios; 08-21-2020 at 12:15 PM.. Reason: grammar and punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 12:14 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
More Republican demagogues, great. The Rise and Fall of the American Empire. We are FALLING! Cause demagoguery is exactly the signal for societal collapse. All hail the rise of the new and ONLY super power, China. All cause some selfish immoral people looked out first and foremost for their own personal interests and not those of the country.

Didnt start with Trump. If you notice its extremely rare for any elected to House or Senate of either party, to not be multi millionaires. If they arent when elected, they will be after even their first term. Astute investors? I dont think so.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:40 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
That's a good analogy.

I drive Lincolns. The car gives me what I want, no more and no less, every time.

They will never be a big selling car, but that's the brand I will stick with as long as they are around. I am ok in that niche.

I don't expect Lincolns to ever take over the market, they just won't. I have to accept that. I am comfortable in that realization.

The Republican Party is devolving into a niche party. It will be strong in some localities (like the county I live in), but it looks like they are shot on the national level for the time being, and if it stays Trumpie like it has been, they are finished as a national contender. Any political analyst should be able to see that, the big donors are already squirming in their seats about it.
I like Lincolns, too. Especially the 1960s versions with the suicide doors - that's classic - and if I had the room to store and maintain one, I'd get one. But the more current ones are very comfy too.

ITA with your assessment vis a vis niche marketing and political parties.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Trump can be dealt with esp. with a sympathetic media. That's not an issue.

It's AOC and to a lesser extent the Squad who have been giving Pelosi a headache since the time they took office. Social media turned the tables on the political establishment and AOC has a powerful voice. And I doubt her 60 sec. at the convention was encouraging for the Biden camp.

There's likely a % on the Left who feel the only way to get the DNC to give them what they want is for Biden to lose. This % will leave the top of the ticket unchecked or not vote at all which will be costly in a close race.

Yes, the Left might lose the battle (Trump is reelected) but the idea is to win the war and get the Dem leadership to capitulate to their demands.
Naw. You're way overstating the level of dissent. Folks have learned their lessons of 2016. Even Bernie.

In any election, the real work begins in terms of pushing legislation and what you're going to get. We all know that. That's why you got folks like Kasich pulling for Biden to get on, because Trump has just become so unacceptable. That's gonna come later.

But I'm not going to dissuade you of your beliefs - go ahead, or shall we say, Please proceed, Governor.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Politics is like driving.

To go forward select 'D'

To go backward select 'R'
Great one! Gotta remember that!

Old 08-21-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Once President Trump is out of office (hopefully after the conclusion of a second term), the GOP will go back to being the spineless bunch of fools they were before Trump. They will go back to sucking up to illegal immigrant policies and turning their backs on the American people.
Well, OTOH, ask how the hardline, nativist demagoguery worked for Pete Wilson and the California Republicans in the 1990s.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:49 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
Let's give credit where credit is due. Sure I think we have a lot of great young politicians that will use Trump's boiler plate of leadership and thankfully continue his mission once he's gone.

But.....

The Democrats are making this easy for us. People are waking up and realizing the Democratic Dream if you will is not something that we want to endorse in any way shape or form!!!!!!!!!! Politicians are just following suit and serving their constituents. The platform and mission statement follow organically.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:25 AM

754 posts, read 485,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
As a Democrat, I fully support this plan.
Sorry but this is very dangerous. I've noticed Democrats openly cheer for extremists to win the Republican nominations and congressional races so it makes easier for them to win elections.

Its ruthless way of trying to gain power at any cost that they're willing to help promote extremist candidates as their opponent even if it risks the country falling into the hands of a dangerous lunatic just so it increases their own chances of getting into power.

Many of the networks were very soft on Trump during the Republican primaries and only turned on him when he won the nomination. I think that this was somewhat done on purpose to get him as Hillary's opponent as to increase her chances of winning.

And then when it all backfires they start pinning all the blame on the GOP calling them "traitors" for not impeaching him/her to "save the country".

Old 08-22-2020, 06:40 AM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post
Sorry but this is very dangerous. I've noticed Democrats openly cheer for extremists to win the Republican nominations and congressional races so it makes easier for them to win elections.

Its ruthless way of trying to gain power at any cost that they're willing to help promote extremist candidates as their opponent even if it risks the country falling into the hands of a dangerous lunatic just so it increases their own chances of getting into power.

Many of the networks were very soft on Trump during the Republican primaries and only turned on him when he won the nomination. I think that this was somewhat done on purpose to get him as Hillary's opponent as to increase her chances of winning.

And then when it all backfires they start pinning all the blame on the GOP calling them "traitors" for not impeaching him/her to "save the country".
He wins. The GOP as you know it is finished

What station did you watch. Let me guess Fox News right. Most others claimed Trump was a corrupt lunatic from the beginning, and rightly so when knowing his past, and from a dysfunctional family. He dragged his feet for 6 weeks saying this virus would disappear, it hasnt. He only think of himself in the now, how HE looks. He's not intelligent enough to know if the virus spreads millions would be effected, 170,000+ die, 40 million out of work and still counting. No jobs, no money, bad for the economy, businesses closing, schools closing. He own all of this from his stumbling in the beginning, raining on his parade. Great work.
But is Biden the answer. Maybe not. Trump will change this country to where you wont know it anymore.

Old 08-22-2020, 11:55 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Politics is like driving.

To go forward select 'D'

To go backward select 'R'
What you aren't explaining is that going forward is what the road runner wants Wiley Coyote to do, right off the cliff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies