Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 08:27 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,164,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
Yeah, any pollster that hedges with such a ridiculous statement is clearly a partisan stooge. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but now his credibility is shot.

Trafalgar is trying to out-Rasmussen Rasmussen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 08:31 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
Yeah, any pollster that hedges with such a ridiculous statement is clearly a partisan stooge. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but now his credibility is shot.
One can be a partisan stooge and still be correct. Two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
One can be a partisan stooge and still be correct. Two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

A good pollster/statistician cannot be outwardly partisan. Good polling is a math exercise based on trying to ascertain the true facts on the ground. There is no place for partisan spinning in good polling.

Old 11-02-2020, 08:52 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
A good pollster/statistician cannot be outwardly partisan. Good polling is a math exercise based on trying to ascertain the true facts on the ground. There is no place for partisan spinning in good polling.
Math exercise? It's a survey based technique. Almost all the outcome is predicated on the assumptions one makes about its sample and the design of questions. That's it. Math is very easy. It's elementary in fact.

Therefore, who's to say Trafalgar's assumptions are better/worse than almost anyone else's?

Surveys by design are highly imprecise tools and easily manipulated.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:01 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Quote:
Both of your logic is wrong, since there could be zero to no correlation between the big rallies and appearance of shy voters.

Therefore the correct statement would be "just because there are big crowds at Trump rallies that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any Trump shy voters". Therefore, it doesn't necessarily mean that there are Trump shy voters either.
Well, we will find out in a few days. If "small rally" Biden can best "big rally" Trump, then we can jettison the preconceived notion of "big rallies equal more votes." Might a Biden win also be the final nail in the coffin for the infamous "enthusiasm gap?"

Trafalgar made some bold predictions in their latest (last?) polling for this election cycle:

Trump wins Michigan by 3
Trump wins Ohio by 5
Trump wins North Carolina by 2
Trump wins Arizona by 3
Trump wins Florida by 3
Trump even in Wisconsin
Trump wins Pennsylvania by 1

I guess Trump's got this. Nevermind how Trafalgar was off by 7.5 in Nevada 2016.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Math exercise? It's a survey based technique. Almost all the outcome is predicated on the assumptions one makes about its sample and the design of questions. That's it. Math is very easy. It's elementary in fact.

Therefore, who's to say Trafalgar's assumptions are better/worse than almost anyone else's?

Surveys by design are highly imprecise tools and easily manipulated.

The math may be simple statistics (that's where the MoE comes from, right?) but math is still math, and math by definition is non-partisan. Therefore, if Trafalgar's assumptions are based on presumed psychological effects that aren't measured and have no data to support them, then yes, we can say Trafalgar's assumptions are worse than anyone else's.

User WrongStreet is probably right: Cahaly knows his raw data shows Biden ahead in PA and is throwing out the "Democratic voter fraud" story as cover for his bad polls.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:15 AM

25,725 posts, read 12,800,389 times
I think all polls are rubbish, because they all are biased one way or the other, and they are only obtaining <6% response rates overall. Even if they were not big media biased (6 companies control 90% of the news media...including polls), they cannot get accurate data with a 6% response rate.

Anyways, polling aside, I look at primary voting, early voting, and voting results from the prior cycle.

By those measures, its my personal opinion that Trump will win Florida by a larger margin (113,000 votes) than he did in 2016.

In 2016, Trump trailed by 247,000 after early voting closed, in 2020, he trails by only 116,000...a huge improvement.

In 2016, Trump won Independents, and the Republicans turned out to vote on election day by a much larger margin than Dems.

The only thing working against Trump is that 64% of Floridians have already voted, so his election day turnout edge will not be as strong in '20.

So long as Independents do not reveerse course tomorrow, and repeat their 2016 lean-Trump history, Trump will win Florida.

If so, Trafalgar would be right in predicting the Trump victory, but I think the 3% is a reach.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:21 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Probably been posted here, but here is an interview with Robert Cahaly "Chief Pollster" of Trafalgar.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1322562403259895815

Old 11-02-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I think all polls are rubbish, because they all are biased one way or the other, and they are only obtaining <6% response rates overall. Even if they were not big media biased (6 companies control 90% of the news media...including polls), they cannot get accurate data with a 6% response rate.

Anyways, polling aside, I look at primary voting, early voting, and voting results from the prior cycle.

By those measures, its my personal opinion that Trump will win Florida by a larger margin (113,000 votes) than he did in 2016.

In 2016, Trump trailed by 247,000 after early voting closed, in 2020, he trails by only 116,000...a huge improvement.

In 2016, Trump won Independents, and the Republicans turned out to vote on election day by a much larger margin than Dems.

The only thing working against Trump is that 64% of Floridians have already voted, so his election day turnout edge will not be as strong in '20.

So long as Independents do not reveerse course tomorrow, and repeat their 2016 lean-Trump history, Trump will win Florida.

If so, Trafalgar would be right in predicting the Trump victory, but I think the 3% is a reach.
Except some people that would have done early in-person voting before are now doing mail-in ballots. The composition of early in-person vote this year is likely not the same as it was in 2016. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Polls are indeed rubbish as you say, if you make wrong assumptions, just like you did.

Old 11-02-2020, 09:26 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

Polls are biased toward one thing only $$$. Improving accuracy relates directly to selling their services. Most polls are not deliberately biased toward one candidate or another. They may surely have varying levels of accuracy as their methods are wildly different. But the ultimate goal of almost all of them is the same, to improve accuracy to secure their next client. Pure capitalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies