Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the US have a deep state?
Yes 111 64.16%
No 52 30.06%
Not sure 10 5.78%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 08:09 PM

6,348 posts, read 2,901,596 times

Advertisements

I remember reading about Jimmy Carter having trouble with Washington insiders back in the day. No one then said it was some kind of conspiracy theory.
How the ‘Deep State’ Stopped a US President From Withdrawing US Troops From Korea
President Carter wanted to withdraw U.S. ground troops from the peninsula. The ‘deep state’ disagreed.

https://thediplomat.com/2018/06/how-...ps-from-korea/

It didn't star with Trump. There was a 2014 book by Peter Dale Scott about the deep state. And Tufts University international law professor Michael J. Glennon’s 2014 book, "National Security and Double Government". In 2014 Edward Snowden said "There’s definitely a deep state. Trust me, I’ve been there."
https://www.thenation.com/article/ar...ive-interview/

Quote:
According to a poll of Americans in April 2017, about half (48%) thought there was a "deep state", defined as "military, intelligence and government officials who try to secretly manipulate government", while about a third (35%) of all participants thought it was a conspiracy theory and the remainder (17%) had no opinion. Of those who believe a "deep state" exists, more than half (58%) said it was a major problem, a net of 28% of those surveyed
-wiki

Politico article on it:
https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ligence-215537

So what do people on CD think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 08:14 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,195,016 times
It obviously does, unless you slept through the russia nonsense.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:16 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,255,902 times
The deep state, aka the bureaucracy, obviously exists. Any large organization has its own agenda, and in the case of the bureaucracies with offices in the DC area that agenda is the agenda of the mostly liberal upper middle class professionals who live in the DC area.

The bureaucracy is necessary to provide executive expertise and policy continuity, but sabotaging and resisting orders from a democratically elected official is crossing a line. The actions of bureaucrats in the Trump era have been outrageous and those agencies need their budgets cut. That is seemingly the only language bureaucrats understand.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:41 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Just think of all the backdoor behind the scenes nonsense that goes on in the work place. Now imagine that on a larger scale.
You think politicians and elites don't have personal vendettas that they will stop at nothing to get their way, even when it means screwing over the country, the world, whatever, ?

Old 07-27-2020, 05:32 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,667,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmatic2Infinity View Post
In the heads of the redhats.

Linux is a fine operating system. I've been using RHEL for years.

There is plenty of evidence that yes the deep state exists:

-3+ years of the Russia nonsense that resulted in "insufficient evidence to charge any member of the Trump campaign with working with the Russian authorities"(Mueller report Vol 1 page 9)
- FISA abuse
- now-fired FBI agents(included the former head) interfering with an election because they hated Trump so much
- attempted coup to take down an elected President
- unmasking of Americans by a previous administration to spy on an incoming one

thankfully these have all failed to this point.

Of course the too stupid to know they are stupid liberals who have had their head in the sand during all of this will twist themselves into a pretzel to say none of this exists or has happened.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:40 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Just another word for the embedded Federal Bureaucracy that only exists to sustain itself and grow.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:18 AM

7,687 posts, read 5,124,120 times
Deep state is run by rich Zionists

Old 07-27-2020, 06:27 AM

7,241 posts, read 4,553,546 times
This actually happened to me.. I was working in a position of power and railing, in what I thought was private, against something and my mentor took me out to lunch at a fast food place and told me nicely but plainly to shut up or I might have someone pull me over on my way home from work and it might not go well.

I knew then that there was something above me forcing us to come to a conclusion that someone else wanted and I knew i better star coming to that conclusion.

Quote:
Just another word for the embedded Federal Bureaucracy that only exists to sustain itself and grow.
Can we be clear here? There are a lot of non deep state people in the Federal government. It is only certain bureaucracy's and Trump should have dissolved them on day one. They are all executive branch and useless. EPA, FDA, CDC, OIG, Department of Education... why didn't he?

Old 07-27-2020, 07:11 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,556,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Just think of all the backdoor behind the scenes nonsense that goes on in the work place. Now imagine that on a larger scale.
You think politicians and elites don't have personal vendettas that they will stop at nothing to get their way, even when it means screwing over the country, the world, whatever, ?
The deep state is bigger and broader than that. Much.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:18 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Hillary is a fine example of a deep state puppet. We all knew that she could be bought and she was willing to engage in the back door politics no matter the cost.

It really was a joke that Putin helped Trump win.

Trump on the other hand is beholding to no one. He bends and breaks the rules and refuses to fall into line with the Deep state and they hate him for it. Trump has exposed the Deep state and now we know that it is what we used to call politics as usual.

Is there anyone that doesn't think Biden will be a puppet of the Deep State? I wonder how long it will be for China to give him a big hug?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies