Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 07:17 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times

Advertisements

Once again the working class is left footing the bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 07:19 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I suppose schools are doing different things in different places, but my sister-in-law is a teacher and she's working full time when teaching remotely (my mom is back to watching my young niece so my sister-in-law can interact with the class and teach without being interrupted). I think if you didn't pay her, she would just quit and find another job and then her class wouldn't have any teacher at all. And what happens in October when her school is scheduled to open classrooms again if all the teachers have left?

I really don't understand this hate of teachers some people have. Teachers aren't the ones making the decisions to close the schools, the administration and school boards are. If you don't like their decisions, vote them out.
Really? Have you SEEN how inadequately educated America's kids are? FYI:

Percent of 12th grade students of each race/ethnicity who are proficient or above, by race/ethnicity group:

Mathematics:

Overall: 26%

Asian/Pacific Islander: 47%
White: 33%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 12%
Hispanic: 12%
Black: 7%

Reading:

Overall: 38%

Asian/Pacific Islander: 47%
White: 47%
American Indian/Alaska Native: 26%
Hispanic: 23%
Black: 16%

National Assessment of Educational Progress - NAEP - 12th Grade Mathematics and Reading

And...

Quote:
"U.S. millennials performed horribly.

That might even be an understatement, given the extent of the American shortcomings. No matter how you sliced the data – by class, by race, by education – young Americans were laggards compared to their international peers. In every subject, U.S. millennials ranked at the bottom or very close to it, according to a new study by testing company ETS.

“We were taken aback,” said ETS researcher Anita Sands. “We tend to think millennials are really savvy in this area. But that’s not what we are seeing.”

...This exam [OECD's PIAAC], given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society. And U.S. millennials performed horribly...

But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope.

U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind.

Top-scoring US millennials – the 90th percentile on the PIAAC test – were at the bottom internationally, ranking higher only than their peers in Spain.
The bottom scorers (10th percentile) also lagged behind their peers."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.caf173a2db29

Let that sink in...

"But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope."

Old 08-21-2020, 07:20 AM

1,937 posts, read 823,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
We just got an email yesterday, saying that our town's schools will be "virtual only" in the fall. Apparently it was because there weren't enough teachers willing to come in to teach. I pay $30k a year in property taxes, that mostly go to the school, for my kids to stay home and sit in front of their computers.
Your tax dollars at work!

Old 08-21-2020, 07:22 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Glad I live in a small town. School is open here. Just dropped my kid off.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:23 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
And the teachers will continue to draw full pay.
Yes, for shortened school days that they can do from home, in their pajamas in many cases.

My oldest daughter loves to study, so it is not a problem for her, but my son has ADD, and his grades dropped significantly in the spring, when this virtual stuff started. Concentrating in class, with a teacher teaching him is doable for him, but he has a real hard time concentrating on a computer at our kitchen table. So, on top of our high property taxes, now we have to hire a tutor to come in every day to keep him focused on the work at hand.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:26 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Really? Have you SEEN how inadequately educated America's kids are? FYI:

I blame the parents. Every parent I know who took an interest in their child's education and stressed the importance of schooling ended up with bright kids. I think this is why so many home schooled kids do so well, they have very dedicated parental involvement. That is why so called, "Tiger cubs" excel as well. But that degree of dedication isn't required to have a smart, successful child. There are too many people just assuming it's 100% the teacher's responsibility to educate their children. They don't even try to educate their kids, make sure homework gets done, etc.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:27 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Most states/municipalities don't have a separate "school tax" but they often have a state website that breaks down where the property taxes are going for each municipality in the state.
Ours is broken out on the tax bill and most of it goes to our school district, too.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:34 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There's already precedent for tax dollars going to religion-affiliated schools. That train has already left the station... Taxpayer funds are already diverted to not only private schools, but religious private schools, at that. Boston College, Emory University (which works hand-in-hand with the CDC), etc.,... and many others are private religious schools (Georgetown is Jesuit - Catholic, Bill Clinton is a graduate) and ALL receive taxpayer funding in the form of research and other grants, government-issued student loan funding, etc.
Most legacy universities were founded by churches/ clergymen. This does not mean they are religious schools, today.

Many private schools are top research universities and receive grants.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-21-2020 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: Fixed formatting

Old 08-21-2020, 07:40 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
Yes, for shortened school days that they can do from home, in their pajamas in many cases.

My oldest daughter loves to study, so it is not a problem for her, but my son has ADD, and his grades dropped significantly in the spring, when this virtual stuff started. Concentrating in class, with a teacher teaching him is doable for him, but he has a real hard time concentrating on a computer at our kitchen table. So, on top of our high property taxes, now we have to hire a tutor to come in every day to keep him focused on the work at hand.
Just like my story except Im not wealthy (or a doctor) so a tutor is not going to happen. Daughter is terrified of any form of disapproval. Does all school work even on the occasions the load is into the ridiculous category. Ive literally had to shoo her to bed at 10:30 at night telling her I will write her teachers that we are ending her homework at 5 hours worth. The teachers NEVER questioned it on the few times I wrote those letters. She had HUGE cred with them. Teachers write letters to my wife and I saying they love her and wish they could have her again.

My son with ADHD... 20+ hours a week for me working with him plus my jobs and he was in the low mid 2.3 or 2.4 GPA. It was EXHAUSTING. This year we are 2 days a week for half a day. UGH.

Not surprising but you sure learn how different teachers can be. My sons English teacher LIVED on her phone and email and got back to me within 5 minutes DAY OR NIGHT and on weekends. She is dedicated awesomeness. A couple of the teachers... not so much and they got worse as time went by.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:41 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I blame the parents. Every parent I know who took an interest in their child's education and stressed the importance of schooling ended up with bright kids. I think this is why so many home schooled kids do so well, they have very dedicated parental involvement. That is why so called, "Tiger cubs" excel as well. But that degree of dedication isn't required to have a smart, successful child. There are too many people just assuming it's 100% the teacher's responsibility to educate their children. They don't even try to educate their kids, make sure homework gets done, etc.
And you've just explained why teachers in the US really aren't that valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies