Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "Race relations" better or worse than 20 years ago?
Better 27 14.67%
Worse 128 69.57%
About the same 29 15.76%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 09:08 AM

1,153 posts, read 630,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
20 years ago.
In 2000, we were a nation at peace and enjoying fat times.
Folks were all getting along better than now.
This is false. I remember that was the specific era where kids would call each other "wiggers" and "Oreos" and accusing each other of acting Black/White. That doesn't happen anymore with the youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 11:51 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,359,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
If that is your position then why even call ourselves Americans? What is the difference between an American and anyone else?

Sorta. I think there is far more racism than most people realize. But racism threatens the nation, and every institution has been working hard against it for 70 years. Politically it is a loser. Economically it is a loser.

In the past, racism was driven out mostly through economic means; anti-discrimination laws, lawsuits, boycotts, etc. This drove racism out of business. But that wasn't enough. Regular people still held these views. But regular people had no ability to speak, they had no forum. When they tried, they would be met by well-funded and well-organized counterprotesters, pushed by a well-funded partisan media establishment. Their faces plastered all over TV, their jobs threatened, even their lives could be threatened.

With the internet these people suddenly had a forum, they could communicate with each other, and so they grew and became more emboldened. Though the danger of carrying these ideas out into the world is still too great. Moreover, they feel pressured by political establishments to stay within the overton window. They must speak in a way that is politically-palatable, to focus on issues which aren't themselves racist, and yet they are.

There is nothing stated in law that bars anyone entry to any profession, but in no sense do people have the same opportunities, even people of the same race, and for a whole multitude of reasons. Moreover, affirmative-action and other preferential hiring necessarily privileges some groups at the expense of others.

Do you know about the English enclosure-acts? The commons? Does anyone really own anything? What happens when you don't pay your taxes? Why is it so hard for people to live a decent life? Should it be this hard? Why do some people make so much money? Why does housing cost so much? Tell me about the Federal Reserve.

The truth is, government policy is what drives people into destitution, and then obnoxious people who are clueless to what is really going on, get on internet forums to whine about poor people.

If poor people actually did what you wanted them to do, they wouldn't be richer, you would be poorer. What do you think you're missing out on exactly? What do you think you're fighting for?
Indeed lol. Quite frankly, I see no difference between SJWs on the left and cuckservatives on the right in terms of their idiocy and obnoxiousness.

Old 08-25-2020, 12:14 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Almost a third of all African American's currently living in the US have at least one white paternal ancestor, 50 million white folks (around 18% of the US) have at least one African American paternal ancestor. As of 2010 50.5 million Americans identified as Hispanic and 53% of those (26.7 million also identify as White)

When are we going to start looking at each other as just Americans and stop believing all this bull crap about blacks and white. America is one of the most diverse countries in the world. It's a great big melting pot of Americans.

Race has become a political issue, it doesn't exist in day to day life. Everyone, every woman, man, child, everyone has the same opportunity as their neighbor does.

The only reason you're a victim is because you're not willing to do what it takes to improve your situation. That's not my fault, the white man's fault, the government's fault, it's YOUR life. Live your life. No one's going to stand in your way on the road to your own happiness.
Excellent post. We will become even more of a melting pot as time goes by and there are more interracial marriages. The hyper focus on race is brought to us by the democrat party. It is crazy to me that their top man right now just recently said "If you don't vote for me, you ain't black". I mean, what the heck! Identity politics is the democratic party's platform along with keep them poor so they are dependent on us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Live in the hood? Move. Lost you manufacturing job? Retrain. Couldn't pass high school? Try again. On food stamps? Get a job or create a job.
I would also add to stop complaining. Yes, life is tough. There are times I want to give up. No one said it was easy and no one owes you or me anything except the freedom to pursue our lives as we wish. We have comfortable lives compared to what people had in past millennia. If you need a break, save up for a couple years and take one. Find what you are passionate about and work doing that.

Old 08-28-2020, 01:46 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Excellent post. We will become even more of a melting pot as time goes by and there are more interracial marriages.
America is a diverse country, but white Americans are the least diverse of all. The average white American is something like 99.5% white. Only 3% of White-Americans carry any African DNA at all, and in almost all cases it is less than 1%.

https://www.cell.com/ajhg/fulltext/S...297(14)00476-5

Moreover, the vast majority of white Americans aren't even that diverse in regards to their European ancestors. People from the Midwest are often nearly 100% German or Scandinavian. Mormons are nearly 100% English. White people from New England and the Appalachians are almost entirely from the British Isles. If you're white and you don't live in the big cities on the coasts, you're probably almost 100% Northern European.

The only "diverse" people are blacks and Hispanics. Blacks are about 1/4th white and Hispanics are about 2/3rds white. But I agree that the future will be more diverse, but this is a fairly recent phenomenon. Think of it like this, nearly half of all Asian women marry white men. But because of how the race system works in the United States, their offspring are not white. Thus they don't actually "taint" the white gene pool, it is the equivalent of that white person not having children at all.

America is a melting-pot but other than in New York City there really hasn't been as much melting as people think. And until fairly recently, almost all of that melting has been opposed by the vast majority of the population. We had grudgingly melted.

Until the 1960's, the United States was consciously Northwest European. We allowed in Southern and Eastern Europeans in the early-1900's but that led to a huge backlash that caused us to effectively close our borders to everyone but Northwest Europeans for more than 40 years(quotas).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Quota_Act

After WWII the United States became a superpower and the defender of the "Western world" from communist aggression. We built a world-wide empire, fought proxy wars all over the world, and allied ourselves with people of all racial and religious backgrounds. It was the Cold War that remade America into a little United Nations. And we can only remain a superpower and defeat China by maintaining this worldwide empire, maintaining the world order, maintaining the world's reserve currency in the US dollar, by maintaining our alliances and trade with people from all over the world.

Every institution has been opposed to racism for at least 50 years. And through our public schools and mass media they have been able to propagandize and turn White-Americans against each other, and even to turn them against their own families. They've rewritten history where whites are always the bad guys. Taking advantage of their guilt to force changes on them they would otherwise oppose. All because it serves the "national interests".

Quote:
Identity politics is the democratic party's platform along with keep them poor so they are dependent on us.
All politics are identity-politics. The only reason it works for non-whites but not for whites is that whites are the majority. The white vote must be split between the two parties, whereas minorities can become a monolith. In the 1960's the country was 90% white. Thus both parties aimed at getting roughly half of the white vote. Blacks could be used to tilt the election but their small numbers meant the effect was small. Even if 100% of blacks voted for democrats they could still lose. But if 100% of whites vote for anyone they would always win.

Blacks have been voting overwhelmingly for democrats for a very long time, it really wasn't as much an issue until recently because changing demographics are forcing the political-parties to reform their coalitions. As the number of non-whites continues to increase, democrats don't need as much of the white vote, so they have tilted their platform to appeal more and more to minorities. In essence they've traded white votes for non-white votes. And once whites become a minority they will no longer need white votes at all.

Quote:
We have comfortable lives compared to what people had in past millennia.
Comfortable, yes. Happy? Meaningful? Stable? Secure? That is debatable. Rich countries tend to have much higher suicide rates than poor countries. Let alone depression and drug-addiction. What would happen to this country without antidepressants?

Last edited by Redshadowz; 08-28-2020 at 02:14 AM..

Old 08-28-2020, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
It's as if instead of 'All I Really Need To Know I Learned in Kindergarten', rather you & your cult have been brain-washed by 'All I Really Need To Know I Learned from Ayn Rand, Ron Paul, & Austrian Economics'.
What I said was true, but that doesn't mean I want it to be true. In fact, I hate it. I hate it much more than you. I wasn't celebrating, I was complaining.

Quote:
Note to humanity: remember NOT to call upon Redshadowz if ever we need to plead our case for our continued existence here, we'd be snuffed out in a NY minute.
I do have a bit of a death wish, but ironically it is you who is more likely to end human existence than me. Civilization and science are far greater threats to humanity than the Amish. And hunter-gatherers were no threat at all. Without civilization, humans would have lived another billion years or more. With technology there is probably a 50/50 chance we won't make it another hundred.

Old 08-28-2020, 02:31 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
What I said was true, but that doesn't mean I want it to be true. In fact, I hate it. I hate it much more than you. I wasn't celebrating, I was complaining.
Check in with your local Libertarians Anonymous group.

“Libertarianism. A simple-minded right-wing ideology ideally suited to those unable or unwilling to see past their own sociopathic self-regard.â€

~Ian Banks Transitions

Quote:
I do have a bit of a death wish, but ironically it is you who is more likely to end human existence than me. Civilization and science are far greater threats to humanity than the Amish. And hunter-gatherers were no threat at all. Without civilization, humans would have lived another billion years or more. With technology there is probably a 50/50 chance we won't make it another hundred.
Your death wish is fascinating.

By Jove, where the heck did I put that note to Humanity?

Old 08-28-2020, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Your death wish is fascinating.

By Jove, where the heck did I put that note to Humanity?
I must be tired because I can't understand what you're talking about. Can you do me a favor though, you had posted a video in another thread about Marshall McLuhan. I was going through some old posts but the link seems to be dead.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l#post58901003

I typed it into google but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:47 AM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Mormons are nearly 100% English.
Oh, my gosh! You truly have no clue what you're talking about here.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:54 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
I must be tired because I can't understand what you're talking about. Can you do me a favor though, you had posted a video in another thread about Marshall McLuhan. I was going through some old posts but the link seems to be dead.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l#post58901003

I typed it into google but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
It's from Woody Allen's Annie Hall.

Old 08-28-2020, 09:34 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
I don't think race relations were better for Black people years ago, having the govt ignore a drug abuse crisis until it millions were hooked on crack, or police brutality never being exposed or believed. I also don't think the violent element of protest going on today helps. We had problems in 1700, we have problems now, and we'll still have problems in 2100 and beyond. The income gap between South Asians and Blacks is double the White / Black gap. These problems aren't going away, just different players taking the field.

Ultimately inequality breeds resentment and conflict. The USA is a strange place that can put a person on the moon but can't get 20% of it's poorest to the doctor. And there is lots of media available for poor people to see what they don't have in comparison. That didn't exist before the last century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies