Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "Race relations" better or worse than 20 years ago?
Better 27 14.67%
Worse 128 69.57%
About the same 29 15.76%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 11:51 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Oh, my gosh! You truly have no clue what you're talking about here.
The Mormons were originally pretty much 100% English. The settlers of Utah were almost 100% English. And the Mormons pretty much stayed that way all the way until the 1970's(they didn't allow priesthood to non-whites). Only the converts in the last 40 years have been non-English, and only in the last like 20 years have they really started to convert a lot of non-whites. Even branching out to Africa itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_...mon_priesthood

Go watch a video of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. You'll see like almost all 100% English white people, and a sprinkling of like the darkest blacks. There aren't many "mixed" anything, because the Mormons haven't been mixing long enough to have much of a mix.

But I'm speaking mostly of Utah, I'm sure in the local Mormon Church things could be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 08:48 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The Mormons were originally pretty much 100% English. The settlers of Utah were almost 100% English. And the Mormons pretty much stayed that way all the way until the 1970's(they didn't allow priesthood to non-whites). Only the converts in the last 40 years have been non-English, and only in the last like 20 years have they really started to convert a lot of non-whites. Even branching out to Africa itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_...mon_priesthood

Go watch a video of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. You'll see like almost all 100% English white people, and a sprinkling of like the darkest blacks. There aren't many "mixed" anything, because the Mormons haven't been mixing long enough to have much of a mix.

But I'm speaking mostly of Utah, I'm sure in the local Mormon Church things could be different.
Yes, the first Mormons were primarily of English descent. That was nearly 200 years ago. Today, there are more than 1.5 million Mormons in Mexico alone, and millions more throughout South America. Even in Africa today, there are now hundreds of thousands of Mormons, and the Church has been sending missionaries there for more than 40 years, not just 20. The Book of Mormon has been translated into well over 100 languages, which would not be the case if there was little non-English readership. Today, there are black men who hold upper leadership positions within the Church.

Yes, the Tabernacle Choir is comprised of almost all Caucasians. There is one and only one reason for this. In order to be eligible to become a member of the Choir, a person must reside within 100 miles of Salt Lake City, and Salt Lake City does not have a large percentage of non-Caucasian members of the Church.

I am not saying any of this to argue, but simply to set the record straight.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:04 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
In my first comment I was talking specifically about "White-Americans". Thus I was talking about Mormons in America, not Mormons around the world. Most American Mormons live in Utah and the surrounding states, and they are predominantly of English ancestry. Only in the last 20-40 years(after they changed the rules for priesthood) has the Church really expanded into other communities.

My comments weren't aimed at Mormons, I was just explaining that White Americans aren't nearly as "Mixed" as people think they are. In many cases Americans are not only 100% White, but nearly 100% English, or Irish, or German, etc. Only in large coastal cities have you had a lot of mixing both racially and ethnically. Other than relatively recent converts, American Mormons are still practically 100% English.

As for Mexico, I don't know much about the Mexican Mormons, but many Mormons moved to Mexico and created colonies when there was a lot of anti-Mormon sentiment in the United States. Mitt Romney's father was Mexican insofar as he was born there, but was he Mexican? If so, that would make Mitt Romney half-Mexican. But Mitt Romney is not only 100% white, he is 100% English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romney_family

The Mormons, like other Churches, have been sending tons of missions to Africa in the last 30 or 40 years, which is why you can see "sprinklings" of the darkest blacks in the Mormon tabernacle choir.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:40 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
When it comes to what I've seen here on city-data, I don't think race relations are really better or worse. I think more people are blunt about how they feel. And social media is bringing out some of the worst in many people. When social media didn't exist, there was still a degree of racial tension. I think one thing social media and technology has allowed is for riots to spread faster. More and more people are saying what is on their minds. More people are saying what they think online. I think about some of the things I've read here on city-data. There has always been a surly element that will come to vent the resentment they have for certain groups, particularly Blacks. However, it's coming out more. I think it was always there, but now we're hearing it more and more.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:42 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Yes, the first Mormons were primarily of English descent. That was nearly 200 years ago. Today, there are more than 1.5 million Mormons in Mexico alone, and millions more throughout South America. Even in Africa today, there are now hundreds of thousands of Mormons, and the Church has been sending missionaries there for more than 40 years, not just 20. The Book of Mormon has been translated into well over 100 languages, which would not be the case if there was little non-English readership. Today, there are black men who hold upper leadership positions within the Church.

Yes, the Tabernacle Choir is comprised of almost all Caucasians. There is one and only one reason for this. In order to be eligible to become a member of the Choir, a person must reside within 100 miles of Salt Lake City, and Salt Lake City does not have a large percentage of non-Caucasian members of the Church.

Interestingly enough, if you are a visitor to Temple Square from overseas, there's a very good chance you will meet a person or guide who can speak your language. That speaks of the international reach of the LDS church - not just of people from various countries, but also of those Americans who have returned from an international missionary stint. I'm also curious to see if the population of SLC has changed demographically over the last decade or so.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:07 AM

1,153 posts, read 631,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
When it comes to what I've seen here on city-data, I don't think race relations are really better or worse. I think more people are blunt about how they feel. And social media is bringing out some of the worst in many people. When social media didn't exist, there was still a degree of racial tension. I think one thing social media and technology has allowed is for riots to spread faster. More and more people are saying what is on their minds. More people are saying what they think online. I think about some of the things I've read here on city-data. There has always been a surly element that will come to vent the resentment they have for certain groups, particularly Blacks. However, it's coming out more. I think it was always there, but now we're hearing it more and more.
Pretty much this.

Social media has basically caused people to view others as caricatures and become more divided into their own political and social bubbles.

In the said bubbles, depending on the crowd, it's presumed that:

If you're a White Democrat, you're a self-hating Communist/Marxist and SJW who supports BLM.

If you're a White Republican, you're a racist, Confederate flag waving, gun toting hick who worships Trump.

If you're a Black Democrat, you're an inner city, BLM supporting militant rioting in the streets and a reincarnate of Nat Turner

If you're a Black Republican, you're a self-hating boot licker and sellout who degrades Black people to impress Whites.

These are the main four stereotypes and images that get floated around on social media and forums, conservative and liberal alike, like gospel and it feeds into the bubble of division and the "us vs. them" mentality.

In reality, there's far more people in all four categories that are neutral and trying to eek out a living but the media makes a living playing on people's fears and acting like everyone's an enemy of each other.

Most people bash and stereotype others due to fear over anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies