Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 01:02 PM

23,549 posts, read 12,517,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The way people try and diminish these things that are NOT peaceful protests is maddening. I pray they go to your town next.

Yep. Their towns and their homes. They might seriously consider moving next to the town mayor, where 'protestors' are actually dealt with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 01:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
The replies from the left on this thread are pathetic. As these mob's ramp up the violence in the approach to Election Day, it will be fun to watch democrats squirm as they deny, deflect, and spin their way into oblivion.
You taking to me?

If so, I am an Independent and never, not once voted a straight ticket. I also voted for Trump in 2016, albeit, while holding my nose.

The people have a right to peaceably assemble. No question some do with the intention of provocation and violence.

The people also have a right to bear arms. No question some do so with the intention of using the firearm as offense. And sometimes the tool of choice is used to murder as many people as possible, in the shortest period of time.

Back to the topic..... the video is just another piece of propaganda exploiting people’s fears.

In a country of 325 million, what percentage of 1% has or will engage in protest violence?

Old 08-21-2020, 01:05 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,246,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Hell no.

That pesky Constitution grants the right to peaceably assemble, despite that nearly all protests minimally inconvenience non- protesters and municipalities where they occur.

I am amongst the last people who would ever engage in a physical protest. I avoid being in the midst of a mass of humanity for any reason.

Despite this, I have a deep appreciation for those who have engaged in protests and as a result brought about massive change as it relates to voting, civil rights, ending the Vietnam War, etc. Interestingly, the violence related to many of these Former protests was perpetuated by those opposed to change.

There is no question, most of the protests triggered by Geo Floyd’s death have been peaceful, albeit noisy.

Sadly, too many Protests have been hijacked by those into anarchy.

This is false.

There have been hundreds of million of $$$ (or more) in property damage, arson, looting, grafitti, dozens of violent deaths, hundreds of police officers injured, uncountable tax $$ expended.

You can not conveniently separate this from the so called "peaceful protests" as much as the media and Democratic leadership tell you to.

You are naive if you don't realize that the vast majority of people who attended the protests were well aware of the strong possibility of violence occurring and went anyway in spite of, and quite possibly because of this fact.
An ugly truth of human nature is that many people enjoy watching violence and destruction.
This is particularly true of the younger demographic that made up the majority of the protesters.
Their presence overwhelmed law enforcement and amounted to aiding and abetting criminals when refusing to disperse when lawfully ordered to do so.

I can not discern one single rational or truthful message coming from these protests .
The unifying themes are violence, stupidity, dishonesty and self-indulgence.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post

Yep. Their towns and their homes. They might seriously consider moving next to the town mayor, where 'protestors' are actually dealt with.
No diff than most any politician who receives death threats.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:12 PM

23,549 posts, read 12,517,887 times
Quote:
No diff than most any politician who receives death threats.
protesting is a death threat now?

Old 08-21-2020, 01:14 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,428,407 times
Quote:
Covid is an equal opportunity infector. It does not care about politics.

A BLM protester is as likely as kids gathering at a frat house as attendees at a massive motor cycle rally as a mass of humanity storming the Michigan state house, to ignore social distancing and masking.

There have been no lockdowns in the US. Heck, nothing compels someone who tests positive to isolate. Some seem to rationalize Their resistance to protect others to increase herd immunity.

Most people continue to be employed.

Tourism, hospitality, restaurants and entertainment have been seriously impacted.

Tourism is the second largest employer in Alaska. Most tourists arrive by cruise ship. Every passenger pays port taxes to the state/ port- the highest in the world. Nothing prevents cruise ships from sailing beyond, most people want nothing to do with cruising, right now. Same for major amusements like Disney which further reduced hours in peak season. The “ open and they will come” strategy did not work.

Trump is a major germaphobe. If Trump was not POTUS and required everyone who works in the WH or otherwise might have proximity to him to be continuously tested, he likely would be holed up at one of his golf clubs in NJ.
Not what the media told us. Protests and riots seem to have an inoculation effect on corona.

Old 08-21-2020, 01:20 PM

31,035 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
The video was apparently shot in Seattle.

I did not observe violence. Did I miss something?

The Constitution grants the right to peaceably assemble.

Most people don’t protest.

Most protests do not turn violent.

Most protests trend noisy and off color language may be expressed.

Tens of thousands of BLM protests have been held throughout the US and most were peaceful. There was a protest organized by young adults in my town of 10,000. Some people were horrified. Some were very afraid. And some people embraced it.

Speeches were made. Songs were sung. Some did yoga on the grass, so I am told.

Young adults are the least likely to vote.
28 dead, attributable to the GF protest/Riot/lootings, as of early July according to Wiki, and its probably much higher now. Sounds like a real peaceful movemenr

Old 08-21-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
"No Justice, no peace!", "Defund the police" vs. "These are peaceful protest"

Democrats think they can have it all ways

Old 08-21-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
"We will kill you, your children, and take back your Gentrified home" according to some peaceful protestors

Old 08-21-2020, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
This is false.

There have been hundreds of million of $$$ (or more) in property damage, arson, looting, grafitti, dozens of violent deaths, hundreds of police officers injured, uncountable tax $$ expended.

You can not conveniently separate this from the so called "peaceful protests" as much as the media and Democratic leadership tell you to.

You are naive if you don't realize that the vast majority of people who attended the protests were well aware of the strong possibility of violence occurring and went anyway in spite of, and quite possibly because of this fact.
An ugly truth of human nature is that many people enjoy watching violence and destruction.
This is particularly true of the younger demographic that made up the majority of the protesters.
Their presence overwhelmed law enforcement and amounted to aiding and abetting criminals when refusing to disperse when lawfully ordered to do so.

I can not discern one single rational or truthful message coming from these protests .
The unifying themes are violence, stupidity, dishonesty and self-indulgence.
There are more agendas on the ground than people on the streets.

We seem to have some common ground, here. Neither of us can discern a single rational or truthful message coming from these protests.

A guy selling loose cigs on the street or knowingly or unknowingly paying for something with a counterfeit $20, assuming it was counterfeit, should not result in death. My fondest hope is that all officers at the scene. will be held accountable to intervene when an officer uses excessive force and the FoP Code of Silence ends.

The 8/10 middle of the night looting event in Chicago, likely the single largest looting event in US history, was unrelated to a protest. Unknown people used FB to post misinformation with the sole purpose of getting a mass reaction, which eventually exceeded all expectations, including those of CPD.

Oh dand, just read police shot another innocent black kid and 10 hours later the only thing that makes me feel better is a $900 pair of shoes and a $2400 bag I looted.

People rationalize rage, violence, property destruction and looting. Been doing so for thousands of years, all over the world.

And then there’s Portland. ( sigh)

Who exactly benefits from civil unrest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies