Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 01:34 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,464,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
If they were effective why did so many die?

Sweden didn't shutdown at all and now their death rate per 100k (56.4) is lower than the UK (69.6), Spain (60.9), and Italy (58.2).
Deaths to total cases Sweden 7.1%, UK 15.1%, Italy and Belgium 14.2% and France 13.4%

Houston did the same thing, inter-hospital transport system. And they didn't use ventilators nearly as much.
Shutdowns will not be as effective in the USA for obvious reasons. But I was talking relative.
Houston as I recall came into the rough stuff later than NYC. So they benefited with new treatment knowledge and experiences elsewhere. They had more time to prepare. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 01:56 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,907,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Given that most of the southeast spiked AFTER they 'opened' up -- evidence seems to suggest social distancing, avoiding crowds was highly effective in containing the spread.

And Biden didn't say he will...he said if medical experts advise he would take their advice.
Sounds like Joe, has never had an original thought, just do what you're told.. Be a good little dog faced soldier ...

Old 08-22-2020, 02:06 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,223,174 times
Quote:
Given that most of the southeast spiked AFTER they 'opened' up -- evidence seems to suggest social distancing, avoiding crowds was highly effective in containing the spread.

And Biden didn't say he will...he said if medical experts advise he would take their advice.

No medical experts are advocating for shutting down right now.

Mask wearing and social distancing is enough.
Thank you for posting a sensible comment!!!

Old 08-22-2020, 02:11 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,395,031 times
Biden hates the working class, wants to vastly increase the homeless rate, and doesn't care about teh deaths that result from unemployment. Even though those that want to stay home can, and can wear masks when they go out. Got it.

Old 08-22-2020, 02:12 PM

10,293 posts, read 6,818,131 times
His tax policies would "shut down" the US.

Old 08-22-2020, 02:40 PM

30,141 posts, read 11,770,405 times
Quote:

No medical experts are advocating for shutting down right now.

Mask wearing and social distancing is enough.
The thing is we still have a lot to learn about this virus. Masks and social distancing work if people are actually following that. If people have private parties where they don't wear masks as well as other activities where it can spread easily then just telling people to wear masks may not be enough.

And if that is the case its the fault of those discouraging people from wearing masks. The same people most vocally against the shut down.

Old 08-22-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
His tax policies would "shut down" the US.

I am a Libertarian very much against raising taxes but I don't trust either party. Our deficits are going to be massive with this pandemic. Either the government will need to be cut way down or taxes will go way up. And Trump and the GOP seem fine with big government spending just like the Democrats. I don't know what happened to the fiscal conservatives in congress but Trump seems to have run them out. So that leaves only one option. And that is a big problem to me.

Old 08-22-2020, 03:01 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am a Libertarian very much against raising taxes but I don't trust either party. Our deficits are going to be massive with this pandemic. Either the government will need to be cut way down or taxes will go way up. And Trump and the GOP seem fine with big government spending just like the Democrats. I don't know what happened to the fiscal conservatives in congress but Trump seems to have run them out. So that leaves only one option. And that is a big problem to me.
Two options. The other being essentially debt monetization.

Old 08-22-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Two options. The other being essentially debt monetization.

As long as our dollar holds up. Part of why the dollar has been strong is our country being responsible on spending and stable. Now that is all out of whack. And you know China as well as the EU would like to replace us as the safe haven currency.

Old 08-22-2020, 03:17 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,223,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
As long as our dollar holds up. Part of why the dollar has been strong is our country being responsible on spending and stable. Now that is all out of whack. And you know China as well as the EU would like to replace us as the safe haven currency.
The Saudi's and OPEC won't continue to prop up the Petro Dollar forever... and we can't go attack them and force them to.

It's not so much about China or EU... its whether the world of nation collectively look at this disaster that has been created in the past 3.5 yrs, and the grave damages it has done to the world of nation, and the expanding debt that is being driven astronomically higher than it was due to poor handling of the Pandemic; decide that America is no longer the Nation that the world needs to follow.

Trump and Republican have damaged "everything" about and of America... The world can't wait for Nov. 3rd, when we stand up and remove this madness from our Administration and become wise enough to rid our Senate of the damaging madness of Republican Conservative Confederate Agenda.

We are (USA) ranked 27th in the world in education and healthcare; and people are going many places about the world for education, vacation and investing. They are fast learning how not to train their young people for "greed chasing by any means".. They are learning the values of Humanity and Building for People is far more important for the long term future of societies in all nations.

The game of American Sanctions is wearing thin, and we will see just how thin, as Trump tries to force sanction on Iran, while the rest of the nation will not support it. Iran just allowed European and Others to come and do weapon inspection checks. Iraq proved that American Imperialism cannot do what it did in the past, and people are blind to the fact, that many nation helped provide funds to ensure that America did not gain dominance over Iraq.

We need to wake up and individually learn about Geo-Politics... and we can't do that because we have a mass of people who are still illiterate to the civics of American Democracy.

The Pandemic has exposed many things... and many many nations aware of much.. The many Allied Nations watch the madness of Trump and Republican Senators insulting everything these Foreign Nation once respected of and about America.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 08-22-2020 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies