Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 09:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Regardless of the shortness of this clip, those who can't see parallels between the behavior of these seniors and the behavior of people of all ages on both the left and right in our relentlessly polarized, uncivil political climate are on the dimmer side of the switch (YOUR words, not mine).
Only a small faction of seniors in The Villages engage in public demonstrations like this. Of those who did, an even smaller percentage get into the white power vs racist thing.

One video of a public confrontation posted on social media, retweeted by Trump and subsequently deleted by Trump, created a public perception the entire community engages in extreme political and racist discourse. Trump, likely did not listen to the entire video before retweeting it. Had he not retweeted it, it never would have received media and public attention.

Given the age of the residents in this community all recreation had been closed. Had not all recreation been closed due to Covid, most folk would have been otherwise engaged. Instead, they were stuck home. And some on both sides of the coin took to the streets and got feisty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 09:55 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,324,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
I could not watch all that.

I do not understand those that insist on displaying their political inclinations, and then cry like a "victim" when they get pushback.

I was not happy to see all the political signs and clothing in the summer of 2016 during our city Independence Day parade.

People were yelling at each other on the street like that to some degree, which annoyed the crap out of me that day. People are normally very friendly to each other there in Prescott AZ.

The only upside for me was watching an older woman in her 70's trying to go into the closed Social Security Admin office I was standing in front of as I watched the parade, she yanked on the locked doors multiple times, and loudly complaining that the doors wont open.
The hours were clearly posted on the door (this was a Saturday), as well as a "Closed" sign being posted.

She was wearing a bright blue shirt that said in large font "I think, therefore I am a Liberal". Lol

I wished I could have gotten video, but at least I had a good chuckle.
It's the fringe, not-very-"liberal" Left who are attempting to lure the entire nation into their camp (via the bribe of "free stuff, and the Workers' Paradise), and they have provoked a backlash in the form of the Trumpsters, most of whom live closer to the real world and the real economy, not to fall into the "snowflake trap".

They deserve each other.

Old 08-22-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I live in a 55+ community and the politics here lean very left. What shocked me was the gutter language coming from the mouths of these “educated” women after a glass of wine or two and they start to talk politics. F this, MF that, you’d think you were at a longshoremen’s hangout instead of a community social. Hard for me to smile and wave pleasantly at someone after hearing them spew invective like that.

Do you get as alarmed when males use similar language?

Have you ever been in the military?

F speak is embedded in the US culture.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Have you listened to the Democratic politicians? Its almost mandatory for them to use the F word. Hillary used it, along with G..D... in her prime time debate with Bernie.
While not a Hillary fan, I think you may be mistaken. I have no recollection she ever dropped the F bomb in public.

No shortage of politicians, including Trump, have publicly dropped the F Bomb and his base loved it. Here’s one of many brief compilations of Trump doing so.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dTh-1hto9wU

F speak is embedded in the US culture and crosses all politics, races, genders etc.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I used to look forward moving into a retirement home.

But, the thought of being trapped with a talkative opinionated political person every night kinda makes me rethink it. The stress would be too much.
The Villages is the largest over 55 community in the world.

Most of the residents do not get into political or racist discourse.

This community has thousands of clubs. Name an activity or ideology, or orientation and The Villages has a club for it. Unless the purpose of the club is political, residents generally avoid such discussions and get on with water aerobics, yoga, soft ball, wood working, quilt making, volley ball, volunteer service, fiction book clubs, beatlemania, line dancing, etc.

People don’t buy into The Villages to sit home and watch cable news or engage in political discourse.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:21 AM

5,144 posts, read 3,074,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Do you get as alarmed when males use similar language?

Have you ever been in the military?

F speak is embedded in the US culture.
Sorry, but that is your take on the coarsening of American culture since the ‘60s. I grew up as a military brat and never once heard the F-bomb dropped in my household. Of course men and women used profanity, but not around children or at social gatherings. The world is vulgar enough, why add to it with unnecessary profanity?

Old 08-22-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Can you picture the poor ******* that has to wake up next to her every morning?
Toss up between her and those who felt compelled to shout “ white power” while parading for Trump.

I think most folk avoid those who get into public displays of emotion.

I certainly do.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:33 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,795,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Sorry, but that is your take on the coarsening of American culture since the ‘60s. I grew up as a military brat and never once heard the F-bomb dropped in my household. Of course men and women used profanity, but not around children or at social gatherings. The world is vulgar enough, why add to it with unnecessary profanity?
I'm getting sick of all the profanity myself. And I admit to being guilty of the potty mouth at times. But the 'coarsening of American culture since the 60s' is a good way of putting it. It's pretty bad when in some cases people can't get through a a few sentences without profanity.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Good point. I have absolutely no interest in going out and yelling and bullying people over their difference of opinions. The thought of such behavior is repulsive. I can't imagine what motivates people to act this way. It actually takes away from their message when people bully others to try to get a point across.

The Trump 2020 golf cart parade thing vs on the ground protesters within this community evolved out of boredom given all recreation had been closed due to Covid. Some within the parade chose to use it as an opportunity to make racist remarks to the loud protesters.

Had Trump not chosen to retweet this video and then delete it, it would not have received public attention.

Plenty of folk within The Villages are embarrassed by this video that shows extreme emotion on both sides of the coin.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:38 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,982,242 times
Rich Boomers never did care much for anyone other than themselves. It was THAT generation that bled the country dry and destroyed it with their greed afterall. No surprise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies