Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 03:48 PM

32,863 posts, read 12,129,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
No, I think it is too far, gives parents the wrong ideas, and discourages them from participating in their child's education.

My confusion is more on the idea of teachers "indoctrinating" the students. My questions is

What do you mean by indoctrinating? If I was to say that the Earth was 4.5 billion years old according to well established scientific theory would that be indoctrinating to someone who believes the Earth is 6,000 years old? If I say that the Earth is round would that be "indoctrinating" to someone who happened to believe the Earth is flat.

If a teacher were to say I am supporting Joe Biden because Trump is an idiot or I think people who support Bernie Sanders want government cheese. That would be clear indoctrination and that teacher should face significant consequences up to and including termination.

What are the parameters of a teacher indoctrinating their students versus teaching from scientific practice or following a set standard that is created by multiple shareholders from business to academia and beyond is my question?
Can you explain why you think a teacher’s political beliefs are something that should be known to the student ?

(and I ask that as an independent who is an an issue by issue person)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 03:56 PM

7,207 posts, read 4,473,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
They’re telling white kids they are monsters and minority kids they are victims and everyone else owes them stuff. That is why they want to stop parents from watching. They do not believe parents have any role in educating their children.
Get a video capture card and record everything. There’s nothing they can do about that.
Yup. This is really exposing some truths.

I can't wait for the you tube videos that will be posted.

Old 08-22-2020, 04:12 PM

1,049 posts, read 645,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Can you explain why you think a teacher’s political beliefs are something that should be known to the student ?

Nowhere in the post did I say that a student needs to know a teacher's political beliefs. I was giving hypothetical examples of what may or may not be considered "indoctrination".

Teaching that the Earth is not flat or is 4.5 billion years is not indoctrination or a political belief, but some people may consider it to be such. Both of those are based on scientific theory which everyone should be required to learn and I am required to teach according to both state and federal guidelines.

Old 08-22-2020, 04:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,465,657 times
Here's what one dad posted was part of the curriculum on day 4 of online learning:

https://twitter.com/jerrymmoss/statu...72794755215361

Attached Thumbnails
Tennessee mom says parents asked to sign 'ridiculous' waiver they will not eavesdrop on kids' online lessons-imageedit_20_6160704656.jpg  

Old 08-22-2020, 04:45 PM

1,049 posts, read 645,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yes, but we don't spend our tax dollars to send adults to public schools, and if we did, they could decide for themselves if they wanted to accept the things you say.

At age 13, students are impressionable because they lack life experience and they are unlikely to fully scrutinize the material being presented to them.

They don't know how to ask probing questions, zero in on an argument's fundamental weakness or challenge an authority figure, even if their challenge relates directly to the lesson.

This is why the left has such an intense interest in gaining access to our children and why they want the parents out of the room during these engagements.
My beef on this thread is not that we shouldn't be doing x or y it is people who are spreading damaging rumors about my colleagues and myself about how we are spreading liberal proproganda just because one district in Tennessee overstepped their bounds. How would you all like it if every time a white conservative male did something racist that all white conservative people were immediately labeled racist? That would be totally unfair and unjust.

My student's don't know my political beliefs and I don't sway them either way or the other. When I touch on climate change, which I am required by state and the federal goverment to go over before I even touch it I get my class together and say something like the following:

" Students I will talk about Climate Change (or about the age of the Earth). I understand that there are different believes about this topic and I respect everyone's believes on this topic. I am required to teach and you are required to learn the scientific view of this topic. You are allowed to believe in your views on the topic and I will respect those. "

Even teaching in a very conservative county if you respect the culture (whether you always agree or not doesn't matter) and you do what is right by those kids and the community there won't be major issues.

Old 08-22-2020, 04:57 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,614,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

A teacher's political beliefs should never be shared with the students, either directly or through guiding them in one direction or the other. I am a teacher (who leans right if that makes any difference) and if my students ask me questions about politics, I tell them to do their own research, understand the strengths and weaknesses of both political models in this country, research history to see how these models have fallen short, and come up with their own conclusion. I tell them not to let anyone think for them.

Teaching is showing them how to think, not what to think.

Old 08-22-2020, 05:03 PM

21,394 posts, read 10,444,504 times
Quote:
My beef on this thread is not that we shouldn't be doing x or y it is people who are spreading damaging rumors about my colleagues and myself about how we are spreading liberal proproganda just because one district in Tennessee overstepped their bounds. How would you all like it if every time a white conservative male did something racist that all white conservative people were immediately labeled racist? That would be totally unfair and unjust.

My student's don't know my political beliefs and I don't sway them either way or the other. When I touch on climate change, which I am required by state and the federal goverment to go over before I even touch it I get my class together and say something like the following:

" Students I will talk about Climate Change (or about the age of the Earth). I understand that there are different believes about this topic and I respect everyone's believes on this topic. I am required to teach and you are required to learn the scientific view of this topic. You are allowed to believe in your views on the topic and I will respect those. "

Even teaching in a very conservative county if you respect the culture (whether you always agree or not doesn't matter) and you do what is right by those kids and the community there won't be major issues.
Uh, where have you been the last decade?

All conservatives have been labeled racists for years. Every cop is racist and every police precinct should be punished for what a cop did in some other state.

Old 08-22-2020, 05:14 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,449,285 times
Quote:
Nowhere in the post did I say that a student needs to know a teacher's political beliefs. I was giving hypothetical examples of what may or may not be considered "indoctrination".

Teaching that the Earth is not flat or is 4.5 billion years is not indoctrination or a political belief, but some people may consider it to be such. Both of those are based on scientific theory which everyone should be required to learn and I am required to teach according to both state and federal guidelines.
What are you instructed to teach about "sustainability"?

Old 08-22-2020, 05:48 PM

21,431 posts, read 7,376,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
A Tennessee school district asked parents to sign a waiver promising not to "eavesdrop" on kids online lessons. Wow. What are they trying to hide, you may wonder?
You have to wonder?

They want the kids to do the work on their own. Let them make their mistakes in 'class' and learn. They want as far as possible a natural learning experience. We learn by our mistakes and sometimes intuitively on our own.

Parents have a natural tendency cheer on their children, and even whisper the answers. Parents also can be an unhelpful additional stress on the kids, who don't want to 'disappoint' their parents who expect their children to be the star of the class. The frowns and big eyes and mutterings are not helpful.

Anyone who has seen parents of Little League should know this.

This isn't that hard to figure out, give that 'conspiracy theory' mindset a rest for a change.

Old 08-22-2020, 05:56 PM

20,222 posts, read 19,780,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
If police should be required to wear live video cameras, teachers should have all of their activities recorded and made public as well.
Good point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies