Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 10:51 AM

11,560 posts, read 5,615,033 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p_Wdz_1AAc

After watching this - I don't know how anyone can afford to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 10:58 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,209,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
New York will be just fine.
Agreed

Old 08-23-2020, 10:59 AM

29,946 posts, read 18,513,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
As stated....NYC has been resilient. BUT, they have never faced something called bandwidth before.

Plus, it sure doesn't look like the people in charge of the city are in any hurry to get things rolling again. From where I sit, read and look...not much concern over it either.

‘A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taLp...ature=youtu.be
They will get rid of DeBlasio; apparently Guliani is considering running again.

When the dems screw things up beyond repair, they usually resort to a republican to fix things. When things are too good for a few decades, they let a dem ruin it again.

Old 08-23-2020, 11:03 AM

29,946 posts, read 18,513,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Did you miss the part about the US no longer even being able to produce its own medications? N95 masks? Tell me, is there a single battery manufacturer left in the US? Try going into a war when your main enemy (China) makes the medications you're reliant on - can't win.

Doesn't matter how much you produce but WHAT you produce. Making shirts and tattoos won't turn you into a superpower.
This has been courtesy of the dems:

NAFTA

China trade status

Driving away US drug and vaccine makers via the trial lawyers association

The Trial Lawyers Association, of course, is the #2 donor to the dem party. The dems allow them to disrupt commerce like pirates in exchange for campaign support.

Old 08-23-2020, 11:03 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,607,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
There is no way a major world city like NYC crumbles at least in our lifetime. The same problems impacting NYC are the same problems impacting Paris, Madrid, Munich, Berlin, and other areas across the world. Is it really logical to think that all the North American and Europe cities all collapse because they went a little bit too far left for a lot of Americans?
Of course it isn't logical.

Think of how many of those cities had to come back after WWII.
If that didn't destroy them, why are people so eager to believe that current events will?

Is it anything more than wishful thinking on the part of those who hate our great cities?
I think not.

Old 08-23-2020, 11:08 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,607,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Phila sees all the same things you listed but yet rents and home prices have increased considerably even in lieu of Covid. There is actually a shortage of housing stock. A lot of New Yorkers have been moving to Philly (and it's burbs) over the past few years.
Same here in the Denver metro. Home sales are actually UP this year over last year and sale prices are as well. And while some businesses have closed, new ones are opening every day.
The cities and their environs are still the places many want to be.

Old 08-23-2020, 11:36 AM

9,568 posts, read 4,434,433 times
New York already over pricesd with a decade of exodus before the virus. It was obvious they were just one major event away from a bust. Money has to come from somewhere. Those that can voluntary afford NYC can afford to leave because even those with enough money want to get what they thought they paid for.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:39 PM

900 posts, read 371,848 times
Empty assumptions about the capital of the world NYC, the city will be fine, some will leave and others will arrive mainly foreign billionaires, NYC is a world class city, in a pandemic moment, soon everything will be back to normal.

NYC is still cheap to live compared to other world-class cities.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:44 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,209,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YanMarcs View Post
Empty assumptions about the capital of the world NYC, the city will be fine, some will leave and others will arrive mainly foreign billionaires, NYC is a world class city, in a pandemic moment, soon everything will be back to normal.

NYC is still cheap to live compared to other world-class cities.
Agreed. I live in a major city. I just ran out to go to the store and things were bustling. People were out and about everywhere. Restaurant sidewalks were packed, bars were getting a lot of business, etc. For some reason, the "leaving the city" thing makes a certain group of people get off. I dunno why. I was in the NYC forum a few days ago and most of the content over there is about "is NYC becoming more affordable?". That's a hint right there.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:46 PM

900 posts, read 371,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p_Wdz_1AAc

After watching this - I don't know how anyone can afford to live there.
The first thing I learned from being with the rich is that they are not loyal to anything but money, most of them have a fixed residence, but they travel the world, living in different places during different periods of the year.
My permanent residence has been in Santa Monica since 2018, but I have never lived an entire year here, I have always had to accompany my partner in his work around the world, from 2018 until the beginning of 2020, I lived temporarily in Bangkok, Manila, Hong Kong, Seoul , Tokyo, Taipei,
Auckland ... I don't want to appear arrogant, but our lifestyle is different, you can't understand it if you don't live. a person who can afford a studio of 4 million certainly needs to work hard to maintain his standard ... It's like artists who own their mansions but live very little in them.

Last edited by YanMarcs; 08-23-2020 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies