Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 02:50 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,946,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsangel2 View Post
:: Does a triple check of the board name ::

Y'all know this is the investing board, right? What do you think is going to happen to this thread?

ETA: For those who aren't aware, usernames that end in lots of numbers (something that's obviously not a year, for example), is generally a flag for a troll or sock-puppet account.
When the thread title is President Trump announcement... it’s kind of impossible to not talk about Trump or politics though lol. It would be like saying, Putting my life savings and getting a second mortgage to buy TSLa... and then not expect people will talk about mutual funds, bonds, bankruptcy, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 02:57 PM

18,074 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Yeah, for sure don't trust one of the most respected, eminent doctors and researchers in the country, the very guy who has advised 6 prior presidents, including 3 'pub prezs, was on the front line of infectious diseases like the HIV/AIDS plague right from the beginning, worked directly to get funding and did what no other bureaucrat did at the time-- listen to and partner with the very population who desperately needed access to HIV/AIDS preclinical drug trials in the '80s, getting the FDA to allow those infected to try the drugs long before approval.

No, that doctor can't be trusted and hasn't proven himself, except for the decades he did just that.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:07 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Yeah, for sure don't trust one of the most respected, eminent doctors and researchers in the country, the very guy who has advised 6 prior presidents, including 3 'pub prezs, was on the front line of infectious diseases like the HIV/AIDS plague right from the beginning, worked directly to get funding and did what no other bureaucrat did at the time-- listen to and partner with the very population who desperately needed access to HIV/AIDS preclinical drug trials in the '80s, getting the FDA to allow those infected to try the drugs long before approval.

No, that doctor can't be trusted and hasn't proven himself, except for the decades he did just that.

The strategy that member is using along with other similar people I have met is... when your guy comes off as a lying moron, just tell yourself everyone is a lying moron therefore your guy is no worse than anyone else therefore you can continue supporting your guy and not have to admit you were wrong about him or her.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:15 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
The niece could easily get the mother to say anything because when you are upset, you get people to sympathize with ypu, if only to make you feel better. Sneaking an audio recording of your own mom is pretty telling of what a scammer she is.
It was NOT her mother. It WAS her aunt - Maryann Trump Barry, once a federal judge. Niece is the daughter of Fred Trump, Jr. (a brother - the one who died of alcoholism). I am not a Trumper by a long shot - but I found reading about a surreptitiously obtained audio recording cringeworthy. Res Ipsa Loquitur - Trump - the thing speaks for itself. We don't need secret recordings - we are told every day who he is. Nothing she said is new to anyone who has two brain cells.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:19 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
No important announcement today. He's just replacing the FDA Chief Stephen Hahn with a Mega-Donor who knows nothing about Food, nor Drugs nor Administration.

The Emperor needs something to divert attention from the leaked audio of his family member calling him unspeakable names.

He's running out of Mega-Donors. Soon a $50 contribution will get you a Cabinet Appointment at $200K per year....prorated, of course, until Inauguration Day 2021.

Oh come on now. What I wrote was HUMOR......not politics. Of course, nowadays, they are one and the same thing. I can't help it if one of the 38% gets up on his hind legs over my sense of humor.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:41 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,571,141 times
If you give placebo early enough, more people will survive than if you gave it when they're sicker.

False hope of early vaccines and treatments is an attempt to get business to reopen faster.

Old 08-23-2020, 03:43 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times
The emperor has no clothes.

Old 08-23-2020, 05:07 PM

210 posts, read 156,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
When the thread title is President Trump announcement... it’s kind of impossible to not talk about Trump or politics though lol. It would be like saying, Putting my life savings and getting a second mortgage to buy TSLa... and then not expect people will talk about mutual funds, bonds, bankruptcy, etc.
I mean, I don't disagree with any of this, sure. I'm only saying this thread belongs on the politics board, not investing.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:16 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,471,152 times
One can't divorce Washington rhetoric - whether truth or just hot air- from the stock market. The DC tail - whether policy or rhetoric - wags the stock market dog.

FDA official "authorization" of plasma therapy is pretty much a nonevent, imo, as it's been used for a long while now. Local reports in my paper all the time, hospitals labs are fine-tuning the protocol daily.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:20 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkypeanut View Post
U.S. President Trump is doing a press conference today at 6:00pm ET to discuss 'coronavirus breakthrough'.
I wonder how what he has to say will effect the markets tomorrow!
They’ll ignore it.

It’ll be bull**** treatment... what... number four he’s come up with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
No important announcement today. He's just replacing the FDA Chief Stephen Hahn with a Mega-Donor who knows nothing about Food, nor Drugs nor Administration.

The Emperor needs something to divert attention from the leaked audio of his family member calling him unspeakable names.

He's running out of Mega-Donors. Soon a $50 contribution will get you a Cabinet Appointment at $200K per year....prorated, of course, until Inauguration Day 2021.
It actually is important if you look at preceding events.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill...en-to-be%3famp

He threatened to resign if trump pushed a vaccine not proven to be safe.

But he’s still there. Its some plasma treatment. Based on antibodies from those who have recovered... which so far are showing to be in short supply (the anti bodies)...

Last edited by LordSquidworth; 08-23-2020 at 06:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies