Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 11:11 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanormalguy777 View Post
I don’t even care — if you ball at all you’ve heard that. Depends on where’s he from really. I’d tell him to bring it.
I agree - but in today's environment, it's a destructive one way street.

White European Doncic calling Harrell a b---- a-- n----- would be a totally different story.

Do we think Kenny would say there was no racism because there was no power involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 12:14 AM

866 posts, read 319,900 times
Quote:
Totally different word. When you white and utter that bbbbbb for black—anything you better be ready to get a two piece. That’s how I lived.
I'm a 62 year old white guy. It was probably about 5 years ago that a punk a** 30 something black guy called me a b***h a** n****r. Twice. Is that allowed? I laughed so hard the first time he had to repeat himself.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:23 AM

866 posts, read 319,900 times
Quote:
Yeah it’s allowed. You can’t possibly feel the same way about being called that word...come on now!
I understand the difference but at the same time there is that "do unto others..." thing so to me it's still hypocritical.

And I've had every insult in the book thrown at me - they are just words. I'm not in middle school anymore.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:24 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Let me just say this - if you are just going to complain about the NBA in general and NOT add to the discussion - then PLEASE don't post here. Save the bandwidth.

So I just watched this on the NBA on TNT.

Clippers, Mavs - Harrell who is black called Doncic who is white - a b---- a-- white boy. You could read the lips.

And the apology before the next game...

Now the panel discussed this for about 10 minutes... most of it saying that Harrell was wrong, and he was right to apologize. That was mostly from Kenny and Shaq. I think it's a double standard.

Kenny correctly defined the social justice definition of racism - which is that racism did not take place here because there was no power involved. Nothing got taken away. I'm not saying I agree with that definition - but only that it's accurate to how racism is perceived by many.

That portion of his comment is here.

https://twitter.com/CWilliamson44/st...50872009723904

Barkley tried to call out the double standard of giving Harrell the latitude to make the mistake and apologize - whereas if it was the other way around - it would be an entirely different issue. We would be burning down the bubble. However, he was pretty much shouted down by Kenny and Shaq without being clearly able to make that point.

Someone remind me why Roseanne Barr isn't on her own ****ing show?

Old 08-24-2020, 01:59 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,029,067 times
Quote:
No man...calling somebody the N word ain’t like no words thrown at you...ever. They might have came with great anger but they could never be you being black and called that word.

I myself took a path of excepting the blood in my veins (Native American) and yeah I can see how some words hit harder when they target the skin you and your ancestors were born into. Some words carry the sting of hundreds of years of setbacks. Just watch the movie Remember the Titans or something.

You're clearly ok with racism as long as it's not white people being racist.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:01 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Then he better fight. Don’t take that.

Plus the NBA will surely suspend and fine the offender.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXstate0fmind View Post
I'm a 62 year old white guy. It was probably about 5 years ago that a punk a** 30 something black guy called me a b***h a** n****r. Twice. Is that allowed? I laughed so hard the first time he had to repeat himself.
The N word is all purpose these days. Anyone can be called it by these young dudes.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:42 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
'the reaction would be very different'

-there's the understatement of the year.
Yup. Just like the reaction would have been different if a white man shot a five-year-old black boy in the face and robbed him of a life. After all.....it’s BLACK lives that matter

Old 08-24-2020, 04:08 AM

I’m not surprised that Matt Barnes dismisses it as no big deal. He’s a member of the NBA fraternity, and it’s not like Doncic gives a damn. The American racial dynamic is well beyond his knowledge and understanding. Hell, he likely doesn’t know enough about what Harrell said to be angry over it. And if he does know (and he definitely doesn’t), he should fight back if he’s offended.

But then, that’s a tall order regardless. He’s been called a lot worse on the court than “punk ass white boy.” Of that, you can be sure. A helluva lot worse. Surely when Slovenia played against Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia, some pretty bad insults flew his way. That’s basketball.

The NBA is at least an environment with parameters and precepts. Let him step on a playground in NYC, Chicago, LA or Baltimore. They’d even insult his mother.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:36 AM

3,771 posts, read 1,524,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m not surprised that Matt Barnes dismisses it as no big deal. He’s a member of the NBA fraternity, and it’s not like Doncic gives a damn. The American racial dynamic is well beyond his knowledge and understanding. Hell, he likely doesn’t know enough about what Harrell said to be angry over it. And if he does know (and he definitely doesn’t), he should fight back if he’s offended.

But then, that’s a tall order regardless. He’s been called a lot worse on the court than “punk ass white boy.” Of that, you can be sure. A helluva lot worse. Surely when Slovenia played against Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia, some pretty bad insults flew his way. That’s basketball.

The NBA is at least an environment with parameters and precepts. Let him step on a playground in NYC, Chicago, LA or Baltimore. They’d even insult his mother.
I'm sure doncic knows it wasn't used as a term of endearment towards him.

there's just so much trash talk in the game, and much more so in the streets, that this is normal. the black guy most likely shouts racial expletives all the time while playing, and let one subconsciously slip in the heat of the moment.
doncic showed he was the bigger man by approaching him and accepting the apology.

point is, if the situation were reversed, you can be sure there would be much more outrage. this is just another example where racial slurs towards whites can be swept under the rug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies