Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2020, 01:45 PM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Are Blacks that stupid to put themselves in danger after all that has happened.
Apparently so.

Old 08-24-2020, 01:49 PM

264 posts, read 100,888 times
Just saw a video of the incident and it should be obvious to everyone regardless of your ethnicity, race or political party affiliation!

1. The public does not know all of the facts at this point.

2. Considering the possible reactions by police historically, as it relates to Black men and specifically to Black men who may have a criminal history, Mr. Blake should have responded to the officers' requests and answered questions and provided his account of the domestic incident.

While it is true that a past criminal history does not predict 100% that a current encounter will be a threat to the officers' safety, from the officers' perspective, the possibility and probability of a violent encounter is increased.

As a Black man, if there is a probability that you will encounter a officer who has evil intent, it is all the more reasonable to calmly answer questions and remain calm. Especially if there are numerous witnesses. Presenting your drivers license, proof of insurance, the business card of your lawyer, etc.

Bottom line, a Black man has to be beyond reproach! Never jay walking, never driving while intoxicated, never involved in a domestic altercation, never speeding, never exceeding the speed limit, etc. etc.

Whereas, a White civilian in this type of situation may receive the benefit of the doubt, a Black man does not have that luxury. Hence, the need to adapt and survive!

3. A non-lethal solution should have been used to prevent Mr. Blake from walking to his car. Surely, there is a solution other than a taser or 7 bullets in the back!

4. Mr. Blake should not have opened the car door. To do so, may put the officers at risk of harm.

It very well could be that the officers asked for a drivers license and Mr. Blake stated that the license is in the car. Then, the officers allowed Mr. Blake to proceed to the car but had already decided to shoot as soon as Mr. Blake opened the door.

However, this appears to be a cynical view, right? Or, if a police officer instructs you - "put your hands up!" You raise your hands. But, after 3 minutes, you get tired and your hands begin to drop, then what do you think has happened in such encounters?

But, all of these type of scenarios would be covered in police training. Right?

Bottom line, there needs to be a change in how policing is performed!

Maybe, a combination of more community policing, increase in mental health funding/services and a different organization that responds to incidents related to individuals with mental health issues and/or domestic situations instead of the Police Department.

Old 08-24-2020, 01:49 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
If he killed a raccoon people would be calling him a violent cop.

If he tortured it like the BLM goons did, they sure would.

Old 08-24-2020, 01:55 PM

264 posts, read 100,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Are Blacks that stupid to put themselves in danger after all that has happened.
To imply that an entire race of people are monolithic in their thought and actions is nonsensical!

Old 08-24-2020, 01:57 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Very tragic indeed and police has to be held accountable.

On the other hand, some common sense seems to lack here on behalf of the victim. Or was it just arrogance?

Don't get me wrong, he seems like a nice guy who reportedly tried to stop a fight between two parties ... but come'on .....
When police points it's weapons towards you and orders you to stop or raise your hands, YOU DO THAT!
It's called cooperation with the law enforcement. You follow the order and VERBALLY communicate your position if there is a need. THIS IS THE WAY TO GO!

Instead, he ignores all warnings, walks up to his vehicle, opens the door and seems to be reaching out for something in the car. Not a very smart idea, my friend.

Police by training, will take it as if he was reaching out for a weapon in the car. There is no stopping here for police.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:04 PM

29,464 posts, read 14,639,119 times
**** is going to get very real if these asshats don't stop trying to play revolutionists. Once we see a crowd of rioter/looter/protesters get mowed down in a spray of bullets, our country will be forever changed.

https://youtu.be/2BV3wT1xwzQ

Old 08-24-2020, 02:19 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,164,155 times
I support the police, I really do. But it gets harder and harder to continue supporting them when over and over again we see people killed by excessive force. Police departments everywhere need to change their operations, their policies and their training. They need to change themselves from within if they want to regain the respect of everyone.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:28 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,389,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Very tragic indeed and police has to be held accountable.

On the other hand, some common sense seems to lack here on behalf of the victim. Or was it just arrogance?

Don't get me wrong, he seems like a nice guy who reportedly tried to stop a fight between two parties ... but come'on .....
When police points it's weapons towards you and orders you to stop or raise your hands, YOU DO THAT!
It's called cooperation with the law enforcement. You follow the order and VERBALLY communicate your position if there is a need. THIS IS THE WAY TO GO!

Instead, he ignores all warnings, walks up to his vehicle, opens the door and seems to be reaching out for something in the car. Not a very smart idea, my friend.

Police by training, will take it as if he was reaching out for a weapon in the car. There is no stopping here for police.
Hmm perhaps he isn't so nice of a guy...

https://racinecountyeye.com/police-k...ed-gun-at-bar/

Old 08-24-2020, 02:29 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlEsc View Post
Sadly, it doesn't look like we will get body cam. It was voted in to purchase them recently but they haven't started using them yet. :/

We need facts; but I do not expect to get them. Just opinion.
Mmmm. That sucks. All our cops here have them now. I thought they were pretty much going universal but in that I am mistaken. They certainly are more than just a good idea.

Old 08-24-2020, 02:32 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,418,407 times
I intentionally skipped over the details in this post for a reason. Please tell me this is not another shooting of a black man by a white cop.. I bet it is.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies