Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2020, 05:05 PM

1,169 posts, read 750,306 times

Advertisements

Let us race to the bottom! The new American slogan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 05:08 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
6 other states did likewise.

Most public pensions formed a contract between a government Body and employee that protects accrued benefits, come what may, regardless of state constitution.

A few states structured their pension plans with wiggle room.
Rhode Island was able to reduce pension benefits because it wasn't under a state contract, it was tough on retirees. I would rather see a gradual phase out of exorbitant pensions over time, the ability of tax payers to cover these pensions needs to be a consideration.

Federal government negotiations by unions are always subject to congressional approval by congress. The problem is that arbitration in these states makes it virtually impossible to go backwards.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:26 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Who are they? College and university presidents? Coaches? Are you saying those are teachers? Which teachers are you referring to now? These are all in your city/county district like you complained about? Hmm...

I posted ‘teachers’ from ALL districts. Wonder what this list is cause it doesn’t say?

Well let's look at the first three on your 'list'-

Dr. Tapas Das Gupta
http://chicago.medicine.uic.edu/depa...s-k-das-gupta/

Quote:
TAPAS K. DAS GUPTA, MD, PHD, DSC
PROFESSOR EMERITUS, SURGICAL ONCOLOGY PROFESSOR EMERITUS, SURGICAL ONCOLOGY
Dr. Edward Abraham
https://hospital.uillinois.edu/find-...ward-m-abraham

Quote:
Dr. Edward Abraham is a board-certified orthopedic surgeon with a special interest in pediatric related problems. Dr. Abraham specializes in arthroscopic surgery, sports medicine, and treating trauma and fractures. He regularly treats club foot, pediatric fractures, scoliosis, and polydactyly. Dr. Abraham is bilingual in Arabic and English.

Dr. Mahood Mafee
Quote:
2006 ASHNR Gold Medal Award

2006 : Mahmood F. Mafee, M.D., F.A.C.R.

mm3The American Society of Head & Neck Radiology is proud to present the “Gold Medal Award” to Dr. Mahmood Mafee on September 29, 2006 at the 40th Annual Meeting, in recognition of his contributions as a scientist, an educator and a leader in our subspecialty.

Dr. Mafee was born in Iran. His father was a pharmacist and he has four brothers and three sisters. Two of his brothers are physicians practicing in the United States. He attended the American Alborz College, in Tehran, Iran, where he majored in physics. He received his medical degree in 1969 from the University of Tehran, Iran. Dr Mafee did a year of rotating internship at Tehran University Hospitals and then served in the Army for two years. He came to the United States in May 1972, and did a year of internship at Huron Road Hospital in Cleveland. He then completed his radiology residency at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and the University of Illinois at Chicago, and served a fellowship in Neuroradiology and Head and Neck Radiology at University of Illinois under the direction of Professor Galdino Valvassori, Chief of Head and Neck Radiology, and Professor Glen Dobben, Chief of Neuroradiology. He has remained at that institution for most of his career, rising to the rank of Professor of Radiology in 1985, Director of Eye and Ear Infirmary Radiology (1981-2006), Director of the MRI Center (1987-2003), and Chairman of Radiology (1996-2003).
Well, well. They are certainly 'teachers'.. Wow that was a really EYE OPENING link. University of Illinois commands top dollar for tuition to med school, not to mention these 'teachers' are practicing in the fields of medicine at their pinnacle.

Jesus, LOL..

Last edited by Threerun; 08-25-2020 at 05:41 PM..

Old 08-25-2020, 05:47 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,777,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yes.....because there is no nepotism, favoritism and protectionism in private companies.

People have the right to unionize. If companies don’t like it they can pay their people and offer benefits so people have no reason to unionize.
Unions at private companies are OK with me because my tax money does not go to them. I don't support public unions because they exist on tax money. Since their members are government employees, their influence on public policies, finance, etc. is enormous. There are conflicts of interests. At the end of the day, number one is themselves, not the public they serve.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:55 PM

223 posts, read 153,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Yep it needs to go. Give them a crappy 401k like the rest of us people who actually WORK for a living. Company pensions disappeared decades ago from the private sector. They need to disappear in federal as well
So because we chose a job that has a pension and you didn't, we should be punished? You decided what to do for a living and all it came with it. I'll take my EARNED pension and be on my way. Don't get mad at others for your life choices.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Unions at private companies are OK with me because my tax money does not go to them. I don't support public unions because they exist on tax money. Since their members are government employees, their influence on public policies, finance, etc. is enormous. There are conflicts of interests. At the end of the day, number one is themselves, not the public they serve.

Private companies whether union or no-union, pull as much, if not more money out of your wallet than public unions do. If you had psoriasis, I'm sure you'd happily fork over that $16,548 for 1 Skyrizi treatment (you need 6 per year) so the CEO gets his $25,000,000 a year. After all, he works hard for his money, not like those lazy government employees right?

Old 08-25-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Well not here. My wife laughed her rear off when I mentioned this and she shot me her NEA annual report. She said "We're moving to IL!!!"

http://www.nea.org/assets/docs/2019%...s%20Report.pdf

In fact there is no state in 2019 that had any average teacher salaries over $100,000. Highest looks like Cali around $80K.

What county/city? I'd love to look it up. Teachers must flock to that district.
California teachers that work in the prisons here make 100k.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:22 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adistea17 View Post
California teachers that work in the prisons here make 100k.
They deserve it.

My wife's older cousin teaches in Huntington Beach CA- she makes over $100k, but she's been doing it for 40 years. She loves, loves, loves teaching. She doesn't have to work, her husband started American Business Bank in L.A. and recently retired. He still sits on the board though.

Last edited by Threerun; 08-25-2020 at 06:47 PM..

Old 08-25-2020, 06:38 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,619 times
Attacking the middle class. How typical of the GOP.

My dad worked for the FEDs and I know many who do. The federal pension plan is a big meh, and there are a lot of other things you could get riled up over that are worth more of your time. FERS isn't even really that good of a deal anymore, and as other have stated. It isn't very generous at all, plus it isn't free. Federal workers have to pay significant amounts of money into it. It is not free, and they want to keep holding the amount people pay into FERS. I will agree, however, that some pension plans are ridiculous, such as examples you can find in IL where people are getting $200k year in pensions and have paid way less into the system than they're getting out. It is simply not sustainable and it is wrong to burden younger generations with that much wealth transfer.

Stop attacking the middle class and focus your vitriol for your corporate overlords who have hollowed at the average worker. Maybe you all should chide the corporations you worship for putting profits over people. Funny how the middle class worker is to blame, yet where is all of the pissing and moaning about corporations using their record profits and tax breaks to fund share buybacks instead of providing their workers with stable incomes, affordable healthcare and a pension plan? And the best part is when there iare difficult times like now, private industry begs and pleads the govt trillions in bailouts to stay afloat and to stimulate the economy.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
They deserve it.

My wife's older cousin teaches in Huntington Beach CA- she makes over $100k, but she's been doing it for 40 years. She loves, loves, loves teaching. She doesn't have to work, her husband started American Business Bank in L.A. and recently retired. He still sits on the board though.
That's great that she loves to teach even after 40 years. She's still around even after all the ups and downs. Kudos to her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies