Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 03:11 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I do it every day. We live in an individualistic society. People are going to do whatever they want.
Great, but it’s obvious you’re not getting followers or you wouldn’t be complaining about it.

In other words, you’re not going to join any outreach groups, you’re not going to look into being a speaker to try to change folks perspective, you’re going to keep doing what you’re doing and expect a different outcome, while crying woah is me. I’m sure it’ll eventually change in your favor

Sounds like the UK is for you.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:18 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
I'm going to try to be brutally honest when answer this question. Before I do, I want to point out that this is just a general observation and not my own personal opinion. My best guess as to why some people become racist is general observation. This racism issue can be a double edged sword. Societal hierarchies have been around forever. When social groups DEMAND equality ie everybody has equal footing on the hierarchy, society MAY honor that request IF the sub group that is demanding equality behaves well enough to justify the increase of the new hierarchical positioning.

I'll give you an example. Let's say team pink has always been viewed in the color spectrum as a 3 on the scale of 1-10. Now there is a meeting in the color world and the color pink is now DEMANDING to be viewed as a 5. So they get a promotion of 2 positions. The color world may allow this to happen as long as team pink now improves the way they act and improves things that originally put them in a lower position of 3. Does that make sense?

Now if team pink DOES NOT honor their promise ie make improvements, the rest of the color world will still see them as a level 3 despite what they demand.

Back to my point of being a double edged sword. Respect is not automatically given unless there is some improvement made by the group requesting/demanding the increase. Life doesn't happen in a vacuum. Respect cannot simply be given away, it must be earned.

No improvement? Your group will always be viewed as a 3 unless your group collectively does something to justify the demand for increased positioning.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:23 PM

^^^^^
Bingo

Old 05-17-2021, 03:29 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not to me. Still another example of like attracted to like. That does not correlate to superiority or hatred.
"favoritism toward their own group.. attribute positive traits to their own groups.. think their own groups are nicer, smarter and friendlier than others."

How is that not superiority?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I have seen young children of of different races interacting and my observations have never been of immediate dislike, hatred, superiority, etc. based on skin color.
I play with my dogs every day. Racism does not mean hatred. I'm the most racist person on city-data, the only people I hate are white. You seem to be confused what racism is.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
"favoritism toward their own group.. attribute positive traits to their own groups.. think their own groups are nicer, smarter and friendlier than others."

How is that not superiority?

I play with my dogs every day. Racism does not mean hatred. I'm the most racist person on city-data, the only people I hate are white. You seem to be confused what racism is.
Classy

Old 05-17-2021, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
I do, and I think it's a fascinating hypothesis. For me personally, I've always valued quality over quantity, and with age, I've become far more selective with whom I grant friendship.

Why did you bring up Dunbar's number? Your analyses are always thought-provoking, so I'd like to know your rationale.
Have you ever heard this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI

I think it came out around 1999. At about ~3:20 it says, "Be nice to your siblings. They're the best link to your past, and the people most likely to stick with you in the future."

I know someone who was adopted when she was a baby, who became completely obsessed with learning about her biological parents. She never found them until they started doing the ancestry tests that link you to people who might be related to you.

The reason I mention it is that I feel like there is this weird sort of biological draw towards people related to us. Especially our parents and our siblings. Even if we never talk to them, even if we don't like them. They hold a special place in our hearts that defies logic.

I've only ever had a few good friends, and that is all I want to have. I have had plenty of acquaintances, especially coworkers, other students, friends of friends, etc. Who I get along with and talk to when they are around, but they aren't my friends. As soon as I quit working that job I never talk to them again. They would ask me to hang out with them after work, no thanks.

As you said, quality over quantity. But it is more than that. You only have so much time and energy for maintaining relationships. The more relationships you try to maintain, the less time you can spend on each of them. I often say that, "If you try to love the whole world, you'll love no one".

I play a video game called World of Warcraft. I noticed a similar phenomenon in that game. That small communities tend to be more friendly, more patient, more cooperative, and less selfish. Think of the common complaint about big cities, that people don't wave, or look you in the face, or hold the door open for other people. The reason is, when there are too many people, you can't really have a relationship with them.

You'll often hear me rant about "strangers". That is because the way people treat strangers is different than the way we treat our family. It is much easier to treat strangers selfishly, not just because you think you can get away with it, but because you feel no emotional attachment to them.

If you imagine one world where you had a million strangers, and another world of Dunbar's number. The million strangers will inevitably become a degenerate cesspool of selfishness and criminality, regardless of how many conservatives are preaching or how many laws are passed. While a community of Dunbar's number would have virtually no crime, no degeneracy, and almost no selfishness, even if there was no government. Because Dunbar's number is self-regulating, especially if it consists of your extended family.

When I talk of race, you must understand that I'm really only talking about Dunbar's number, with my belief that the most important part of any relationship, is compatibility and a shared destiny. I think people are fools if they think ancestry means nothing. Which brings us back to the quote from the song... "Be nice to your siblings. They're the best link to your past, and the people most likely to stick with you in the future."

EDIT: I always find it interesting how when people take a DNA test, or learn about their ancestry, all of the sudden they have a keen interest in that country or those people. And maybe I'm the bad guy here, but I do feel a stronger reaction to someone who looks like me being abused than someone who doesn't. That doesn't mean I'm indifferent to the suffering of others, but that I tend to be partial. I'll be honest, if all other things are equal, if I'm watching a fight between the white guy and the black guy, I want the white guy to win. That seems to me to be a universal human sentiment. Black people do it, Hispanics do it, etc. If you're Japanese and you want the Japanese guy to lose, that is probably some form of mental illness. But mental illness is something that gets encouraged in America in 2021.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 05-17-2021 at 04:45 PM..

Old 05-17-2021, 04:21 PM

10,106 posts, read 1,024,541 times
Being or becoming racist:
1) Life experiences - having poor/negative dealings with a certain race/religion

2) Family members who are racists - children learn from parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles

3) Living in a part of the country where racism is tolerated

4) Workforce experiences - being passed over for promotion by a person of a certain race/religion

5) Chosen profession - certain professions that deal with the worst of society can cause racist feelings

just my opinions based on 65 years on planet earth.

Old 05-17-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandorrei View Post
Being or becoming racist:
I'm racist because I don't believe distant populations are identical, and I think diverse peoples being forced to live in the same territory hurts everyone.

About 11 years ago I asked myself a simple question, "Would America be better off if it was only white?"

Ironically, this was back when I would have called myself a liberal, and glorified Northern Europe as basically the ideal.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:03 PM

6,104 posts, read 3,341,443 times
I think most of the perceived racism isn’t really racism. It just gets misinterpreted from what it actually is, which is mistrust of all outsiders. A black person might feel like he’s getting the cold shoulder in a public situation, and immediately think it’s because he’s black. But the reality is that even if he was white, he’d still be getting that cold shoulder, because he’s an outsider.

Also, we need to understand that some people are contrarian by nature, plus there are people who just relish in the pain and suffering of others.

What’s the best way to cause pain and suffering to a person of color? Since they know it will enrage you like nothing else can, they will definitely go there.

Old 05-17-2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
It just gets misinterpreted from what it actually is, which is mistrust of all outsiders. A black person might feel like he’s getting the cold shoulder in a public situation, and immediately think it’s because he’s black. But the reality is that even if he was white, he’d still be getting that cold shoulder, because he’s an outsider.
I would 100% agree that racism primarily stems from a lack of trust. That is in fact the evolutionary basis for the whole ingroup/outgroup dynamic. Understanding who you can trust and who you can't has long been key to our survival, and continues to be today.

With that said, most liberals are literal genetic dead-ends. They would rather be murdered than appear racist. Those who aren't murdered are a bunch of single-mothers and other genetic trash that would be weeded out of the gene pool if not for the welfare system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies