Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 05:21 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
Religious institutions are not forced...my wife wanted her tubes tied/removed we went to a non catholic hospital but it was the local catholic hospital choice to not allow such a procedure.

Being a Religious boss does not make you a religious institution...please point to a specific case that a religious institution was FORCED to pay for either one
You're right, they aren't because they won that battle in court. Which means that some wanted to force it but it took SCOTUS to slap them down. Which is why my post said "attempting."

SCOTUS said no to Obamacare mandate for contraceptive too. That is dems trying to take away religious freedoms which is the question of the OP.

https://blogs.findlaw.com/supreme_co...ent-cases.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 05:23 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I wonder if they closed church services because of the number of elderly people who attend church.

And it doesn't take an Einstein to know that trying to shut down protests is just going to cause more protesting.
There is nothing forcing elderly people to attend in person. The obvious advice is for them to self-isolate. And declaring churches 'essential' doesn't mean they throw open their doors and pack in like sardines. It means they are allowed the EXACT SAME freedom to self-regulate as Amazon, Walmart, and the protests.

Amazing how people are perfectly fine having protesters do whatever they want. Amazon and Walmart doing whatever they want. CNN and Fox operating without any hindrance or closure. Maybe they could have done 25% of their usual propaganda and we'd all be better off. But a mosque, church or synagogue--the government needs to control those?

Many churches might very well choose to do all virtual. Some may operate at half capacity. Some outdoors. It should be up to them. And many people could still choose to stay home.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:23 PM

25,441 posts, read 9,802,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I didn't have the freedom to walk into my church building for almost four months. Even to pray in the empty building! It was closed by order of the Governor, a Democrat. And yes...praying in the building is important even though one can pray anywhere. It is my religious freedom.

And as I said, if virtual things were the full exercise of one's freedom, the protests could go virtual. Yet they don't.

The bias from the liberal side of the aisle was against churches opening up. Trump wanted churches to open, and said as much. Cuomo had to be sued. That is what the RNC is getting at.
I know there have been churches shut down in both Republican and Democrat areas of the country. It's not a power grab by the Dems.

No one has a right to take away your religious freedom. But there is nothing in the Constitution that says houses of worship have to be made available, especially during a global pandemic. Churches all over the world have been known to be super spreaders of Covid. It's not a political issue, it's a pandemic issue. You are still feel to worship, just not in a lot of churches right now. I know it's inconvenient. It's sad and inconvenient to me too, because I belong to a wonderful faith community that I miss terribly. Especially the hugs and fellowship. But none of this is a personal affront to the faith community. I'm truly sorry for how this virus has turned normal life on its ear, including our religious communities when they are needed the most.

As far as Trump wanting churches open, it's not up to him. It's up to the local communities and what their case numbers are looking like. I live in a small community in TN, and even they are not open right now. As I said, some are getting creative with their services like Zoom or outdoor meetings. That is the best we have right now in this new paradigm.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
That might be a valid point except I don't believe churches to be exempt from regulations like health codes or building codes. The shutdown would be under that rather than law.
Yep. Health and building codes don't stop you practicing religion. You can still read the Bible or Kuran at home. It also isnt like services cannot be done virtually. How many different televangelists or local Catholic masses do we see on a given weekend? Freeform despite bo longer being a "Family" channel for the last 5 years and not being owned by the Robertsons still have 700 Club. People act like mass gatherings (no pun intended) are the only way to practice religion...

Old 08-25-2020, 06:01 PM

304 posts, read 160,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
it is part of the curriculum that is taught to children.

Flip it: Every grade requires bible study as part of the curriculum. .... acknowledging Christians and Jews exist is not indoctrination.

That'd fly, no problem, RIGHT???
I have no problem with a student taking a Christian or Torah study as an ELECTIVE if it is the students choice to take a religious based class (and the district has an option for ALL faiths) then I have no objection

In high school (a catholic school mind you) I learned about Christianity (obviously) Judaism, Islam Buddhism and a little bit of Hindu beliefs, my local public school learned the same, since here as balance in the universe there was no problems

Old 08-25-2020, 06:05 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Here’s a little tidbit you might not know.

A huge percentage of republicans are not religious and do not care about this.

We hate democrats for many other reasons. One example would be their support of domestic terrorism.
Pretty much. I am a right leaning Ind. Religion means not a thing to me and I want it out of government. That said, I don't seek to screw with people of faith. My issue with the left is their persistent attacks on Christians and free passes given to Muslims. So far Buddhists seem to flying under their radar.

Have the Dems taken freedoms? Not that I know of, but they certainly like to ridicule Christians at every opportunity, while defending Muslims at every opportunity. I know, I know, Some people did Some things.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:06 PM

304 posts, read 160,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
You're right, they aren't because they won that battle in court. Which means that some wanted to force it but it took SCOTUS to slap them down. Which is why my post said "attempting."

SCOTUS said no to Obamacare mandate for contraceptive too. That is dems trying to take away religious freedoms which is the question of the OP.

https://blogs.findlaw.com/supreme_co...ent-cases.html
A private individual brought about this case....I don’t see where the Democratic Party brought the suit. Just because a democrat sues the church does not mean the democrats as a whole brought the suit.

I for one agree with the decision a church institution (not a religious boss) but If you work for a church, synagogue or diocese Then you play by their rules

Old 08-25-2020, 06:15 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I didn't have the freedom to walk into my church building for almost four months. Even to pray in the empty building! It was closed by order of the Governor, a Democrat. And yes...praying in the building is important even though one can pray anywhere. It is my religious freedom.

And as I said, if virtual things were the full exercise of one's freedom, the protests could be forced to go virtual, and no one's first amendment rights would be violated. Yet they don't.

The bias from the liberal side of the aisle was against churches opening up, and being declared essential. Trump wanted churches to open, and said as much. Cuomo had to be sued. That is what the RNC is getting at.
A member of our family died on March 24th. She was already brain dead but the hospital wouldn't allow but one person in the room for 15 minutes. There are people dying alone in hospital beds over this. If we wanted a funeral we could only have ten people in the room. I know someone else who gave birth a month later, alone. It does seem kind of half-assedish the way the policies were implemented and enforced. To think that this somehow is religion-based is weird.

Old 08-25-2020, 07:28 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
I keep on hearing how the Democrats are trying to steal religious liberty but no one can point to a specific law or proposal that takes away a persons right to worship freely.

The constitution CLEARLY states "No Religious test for public office" and "no laws abridging the freedom of religion"

Despite fear mongering no one went to jail for saying "Merry Christmas" in fact, despite what
Trump and his minions like to Say Obama wished people "Merry Christmas" on many occasions. Its an admittedly small percentage but a percentage none the less of GOP members who want to boycott stores like Starbucks and Macys for saying "Happy Holidays" Talk about controlling what people say and Businesses being able to make their own decisions huh.

No one said a child can't pray in public school, it said they can't be forced to pray...you want your kids to pray in school send them to a religious school. I remember my old public school would let students leave class to get ashes on Ash Wednesday (provided they came back and you know WITH ashes) and allow a muslim student to leave class for prayer time (so long as they return immediately), schools for the most part are willing to be accommodating on a case by case basis but its not a 1 size fits all kind of way, they cant make all the kids get ashes or face mecca. Plus please let me know your thoughts if your child had to recite a Jewish or Muslim or Hindi prayer.

No one said a church has to perform or validate a gay marriage, in fact many legislators went through great pains to exclude churches (unless they choose to) form sanctioning Gay Marriage. Hey I am divorced and remarried according to the Catholic church my second marriage in invalid and guess what the state won;t intervene and force them to acknowledge it, same for gay marriage.

Serving a Gay person pizza or whatever does not take away your religious freedom, a woman taking birth control does not violate your religious freedom...i also find it funny that when companies do this they are told they are doing it for "relgious freedom" but if people refuse to go to said restaurant or shop at business that deny employees birth control its "persecution" Would you allow for a company to make woman wear hijabs because the CEO is Muslim and not cry persecution?

SO i ask, what specific laws have the democrats proposed or passed that take away your right to worship or believe whatever it is YOU want. emphasis on YOU.

If i want to hang an upside cross in my house or display a menorah on my property or make my home look like the Griswolds are Christmas, that is MY freedom and not a violation of YOUR freedom
1. Banned Christmas and Easter celebrations in public schools

2. removed the ten commandments from every public place

3. Banned prayers (even student led) in public schools

4. Forced classes on Islam (but not Christianity) in public schools

5. Forced private citizens to perform acts and serve issues that are against their religion

6. promoted burning Bibles at their Marxist rallies

Old 08-25-2020, 07:31 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:
A private individual brought about this case....I don’t see where the Democratic Party brought the suit. Just because a democrat sues the church does not mean the democrats as a whole brought the suit.

I for one agree with the decision a church institution (not a religious boss) but If you work for a church, synagogue or diocese Then you play by their rules
The Dems wrote and voted for Obamacare which mandated contraceptive coverage. It took a lawsuit to remove it for religious purposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies