Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2020, 05:07 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
The difference is no Republican celebrities (there are so few) said anything about M. Obama. Some people on social media still go after Michelle Obama, but they're nobodies.

The hypocrisy of either side is what gets them into trouble. You can't call Trump a hater of all immigrants and then attack someone saying they still haven't learned English. If someone said that about anybody else, Midler would be on it - and rightfully so.

Spouses and kids should be off-limits, in my opinion.
Wrong.

After Years Of Attacking Michelle Obama, Hannity Pretends “Nobody Picked On” Her
Fox host Sean Hannity incredulously claimed on his radio show that no conservatives ever "picked on Michelle Obama.” Hannity’s claim ignores the near-decade he and other conservatives spent smearing the former First Lady as an “unpatriotic,” “bitter and angry” racial extremist.
https://www.mediamatters.org/sean-ha...ody-picked-her
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 05:09 PM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Why is it "terrible"? It's more or less true. She can read a prepared speech, and she's fairly fluent, but Melania herself knows her shakiness. She could have studied to soften her accent at any time, but didn't. I wonder how well she can write, if not coached.
Maybe you live in a closet, but we don't encourage people to 'study to soften their accents' anymore. Good grief.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:19 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaq2020 View Post
Anyone in a visible position like that born in the last 55 years needs to have at least a Bachelor's degree. It's why women burned their bras in the 60s- equality, the right to a higher education, to an equal salary. She is filling huge shoes but her feet are small. First ladies are no longer "hostess" They travel and interact with important people around the world and need to have an education and a decent background, specially if they are representing this country.
And you think that knowledge can come only from having a degree? Really? I am absolutely in favor of education and have two degrees to my own name, but you’re grasping. This is a bull**** argument.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:24 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,500,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Not a fan Trumps. Heck there is even questions on how many languages Melania actually speaks fluently....

BUT... that doesn't change the fact that she is multi-lingual in at the very least English and her native language. That's more than many here (and throughout the US) can claim.

That comment was uncalled for.
Bingo. The comment was an attack on all Americans where English isn’t their first language.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:28 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Wrong.

After Years Of Attacking Michelle Obama, Hannity Pretends “Nobody Picked On” Her
Fox host Sean Hannity incredulously claimed on his radio show that no conservatives ever "picked on Michelle Obama.” Hannity’s claim ignores the near-decade he and other conservatives spent smearing the former First Lady as an “unpatriotic,” “bitter and angry” racial extremist.
https://www.mediamatters.org/sean-ha...ody-picked-her
You're talking about talking heads - not celebrities. Point out a singer or actor who went after Michelle Obama and then didn't get front page news for it.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:29 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
I have not heard the first lady's voice until after reading this thread and decided to check it out. Yeah, she has a thick accent. To be fair, you can speak fluent English and still be a terrible speaker. I think a speaker's voice is the most important aspect of a speech. Great contents and ideas can be ruined by a bad voice. That's why, whenever possible, I have someone else talk for me.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:36 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Some of the comments on this thread regarding education and career are extremely elitist. Perhaps coming from a former Soviet block country, Melania did not have the resources to pursue extended higher education. Maybe she could not afford to, who knows? Maybe she just decide it wasn’t for her.

I find it interesting that these attacks on her character and ambition follow a day after she stated that her primary ambition was to become an American. Libs just hate that, don’t they? Here is the FLOTUS who knows first hand what communism is like, announcing before the world that the US is still the greatest country in the world.

Attacking women because they choose to use their beauty to their advantage is sad. Attacking a woman who didn’t want a career is pathetic. Some women want to be stay at home mothers. Liberals then have to denigrate that and say those women are unworthy while they do the world’s most important job. Liberals go on and on about women’s choices, but predictably attack women who make traditional choices.

Old 08-26-2020, 05:56 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Some of the comments on this thread regarding education and career are extremely elitist. Perhaps coming from a former Soviet block country, Melania did not have the resources to pursue extended higher education. Maybe she could not afford to, who knows? Maybe she just decide it wasn’t for her.

I find it interesting that these attacks on her character and ambition follow a day after she stated that her primary ambition was to become an American. Libs just hate that, don’t they? Here is the FLOTUS who knows first hand what communism is like, announcing before the world that the US is still the greatest country in the world.

Attacking women because they choose to use their beauty to their advantage is sad. Attacking a woman who didn’t want a career is pathetic. Some women want to be stay at home mothers. Liberals then have to denigrate that and say those women are unworthy while they do the world’s most important job. Liberals go on and on about women’s choices, but predictably attack women who make traditional choices.
Sorry but I'm not going to be cowed into thinking that a woman who made a living taking softcore lesbian pics and then marrying rich is worthy of a lot of respect, especially as a public figure.

University degrees were available in Soviet Block nations, both my parents earned PHDs before coming to this country. But you have to have the intelligence and drive to achieve it.

Old 08-26-2020, 06:00 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Sorry but I'm not going to be cowed into thinking that a woman who made a living taking softcore lesbian pics and then marrying rich is worthy of a lot of respect, especially as a public figure.

University degrees were available in Soviet Block nations, both my parents earned PHDs before coming to this country. But you have to have the intelligence and drive to achieve it.
So you’re anti gay?

Old 08-26-2020, 06:02 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaq2020 View Post
For me, the accent is not the problem. Is the lack of formal education, lies about "her abilities" and yes, the shakiness/insecurity. I don't like her or what she represents but if she wanted to do a speech she could have kept it short and sweet. It was boring, she stumbled and it was obvious that there was a teleprompter-the viewer should not know there is one.
Shakiness/insecurity? What a bunch of chit.

I did not know you were close enough to Melania to be privy to her insecurities nor did I realize that you were the First Lady mentor.

The citizens of the United States did not elect Melania, so she can do almost whatever the hell she wants to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies