Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 06:51 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
I don't even know why we're still testing people, unless they're in a ER with breathing problems. It's a virus, your immune system will fight it off (or it won't, then sucks for you).

If you're really sick, we can try some experimental things that reduce the death rate between 10-20%, that's about it.

Now, the virus is everywhere. Trying to contact trace like we can stamp it out once and for all is impossible. It won't go away. So let it do its thing. And let our immune systems do our thing. And for the sick, give them the treatments.
I don't think not testing and giving up on contact tracing is a good strategy, but I'd like to dive a bit into the immunity issue that you bring up.

Normally, it's correct that the immune system is the good guy in fighting off infections that our body encounters. What's tricky about the novel COVID-19 is that the people who develop severe or critical illness are doing so because their immune system is fighting to an extreme, so much that the body begins essentially attacking itself rather than the virus (AKA Cytokine storm). When people get into trouble quickly, somewhat counterintuitively, is when the immune system is working too aggressively.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0521165706.htm

Last edited by Jowel; 08-26-2020 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 07:18 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yup. Keep everything open, wear your mask, and you’ll be fine. Sweden is rightfully laughing at all of America right now.

The numbers can go up and down, but the 99% survival rate will remain constant.
Why? Their economy hasn't been as unscathed as people claim and their health outcomes haven't been particularly great either. Not that the US is doing remarkably well with handling the pandemic either, but Sweden isn't the model country here. Perhaps if you had said Singapore or South Korea or Taiwan or New Zealand were laughing at America based on that issue, you would have had a point.

I also question the 99% survival rate, as to where that's coming from? I think it's been more like 97% based on 5.83 Million cases and 179K deaths in the US, so far. There's also still a good bit unknown as far as what complications could develop in people who have had the virus a year from now, or five years from now, being that unexplained blood clots seems to be one complication that has emerged. I like to be optimistic, but realistically, there is still a lot we don't know about what this will cause long-term.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sw...article_inline

https://khn.org/morning-breakout/att...vidence-shows/

I agree with you on the mask wearing though (if you're supporting it as a way to keep things open and functioning with more normalcy).

Old 08-26-2020, 07:26 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer & Manatee View Post
Interesting, but as we are told, we need to listen to them.

CDC calls for LESS testing

ATLANTA (CBS46) -- The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has changed its Covid-19 testing guidelines. The agency no longer recommends testing for most people without symptoms, even if they've been in close contact with someone known to have the virus.

When all is said and done and the politicization of Covid is no longer a weapon in the Democrats election strategy, I would not be at all surprised to learn that much about how this virus was characterized, such a asymptomatic spread.....will prove to have been hyperbolic BS.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:40 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,483,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamer & Manatee View Post
So now people are allowed to disagree with doctors when they don't fit their political narrative?
Not just now. Trump's been doing it for months.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:49 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
I just heard if you wear a face covering in the car while driving alone you can give yourself the virus. Twice.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:51 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
True, my niece who is a doctor had a patient who has CV, she just quarantine in her apartment for 14 days.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:58 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Just CDC bowing to Trump admin pressure to make numbers look politically more convenient, even if it's bad public health policy.

As opposed to padding the numbers and death rates by including unconfirmed "probable" cases and double counting people who test positive twice as multiple cases.....

Cuz that's good health policy......

Old 08-26-2020, 07:58 PM

190 posts, read 75,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Good for them. That is exactly who should be making that call - the governor of each state. The CDC issues advise and guidelines but ultimately the governor of each state must decide what will best serve his or her people. What is good and/appropriate for a state with heavy population centers, like California or New York, might be the worst option for a state like Wyoming, Arkansas, Vermont, or Idaho.
Governor’s have health advisers including their state’s department of health.

Testing is now becoming faster and cheaper with saliva testing. So this decision by the CDC is politically motivated. No question about it. Why not know who does or doesn’t have the virus? It makes zero sense.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:59 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigins View Post
Governor’s have health advisers including their state’s department of health.

Testing is now becoming faster and cheaper with saliva testing. So this decision by the CDC is politically motivated. No question about it. Why not know who does or doesn’t have the virus? It makes zero sense.
How many people should we test? Everyone? How often should we test everyone? Every month? Week?

Old 08-26-2020, 09:25 PM

190 posts, read 75,103 times
Anyone should have easy access to testing when they want it. If it was possible with accurate rapid result testing, I’d like testing at malls, stores, schools, gym’s etc. That would be the best way to track the virus. I don’t care about people testing multiple times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies