Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 09:42 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That's what the right relies on during campaign year. Massive fear mongering campaigns to tell people they are in grave danger, Democrats are the enemy and that the Republican party is there to save them from certain destruction.

You seem to suggest Republicans are powerless to deal with it (until Nov 4, which is when something magical will happen), while Dems could make this stop by the snap of their fingers, but lets take a look at Kenosha.

1. Police is out in force
2. Curfew has been declared
3. Rubber bullets are used
4. Tear gas is used
5. Armored vehicles are utilized
6. National Guard has been called in + a new round of re-reinforcements

But riots continue.......like they did in the 1960s

So, considering the above, how are Dems failing in their response and what would Republicans do differently?

Maybe some things are not quite as partisan as you have been told.
Your six points are not entirely accurate. There are many videos of last night with no one getting arrested, not a cop in sight. There are not enough guardsmen there. There is no political will to stop this riot. They seem to be doing a Baltimore "giving space to those who wish to destroy."

They need thousands of National Guard. Not hundreds. An overwhelming presence. They need lines of tanks protecting EVERY business. They need to arrest people who break the curfew. Not rocket science here. Perhaps that is what Republicans would do differently? Not all Democrats are like this though.. The mayor of my city is a Democrat, former Republican, who is very pro-police, and I can't imagine him letting this happen. At least I hope!

Old 08-26-2020, 09:43 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,466,915 times
Quote:
What did we learn from the rioting which took place in 1960s?

Did involvement of federal troops and national guard stop it? No

Did heavy handed approach stop it? No

The riots went on for years, even after one president (Johnson) held himself accountable, and admitted failure. He fell on his sword like a man and refused to run for re-election. However, the rioting continued with the next president, until he agreed to make policy change.

We know for fact that Trump will never hold himself accountable, and we already know he is running for re-election.

So, would a policy change stop this? Probably. Its time to get the best and the brightest to come up with something. Blame shifting is never going to end it, but unfortunately that is all we'll ever get from Trump.
My opinion is based on my personal experience in Chicago in the '60's. That being focusing on jobs in those affected areas. Today we have a particularly bad job situation with the Pandemic, so summer activism and then rioting is substantially worsened.

Back then I worked for the Saxon Paint and Hardware company. The owner Al Saks, I learned decades later, was a local liberal activist. He had dozens of stores mainly in the Chicago area. And what he did was to go into distressed, primarily Black areas. He met with the locals, and found distressed business properties to renovated and install his stores. Using local labor as much as possible. We had a few riots in some of those areas from time to time. And what happened was that the locals, and our Black employees protected the properties. I recall only one window broken at one store.

So this may be part of an answer.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:46 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
If you read my post again, you'll see what I think a leader would / should do.

You say the riots are organized. Maybe to a point, but it is also largely spontaneous. On another thread people were saying Trump is the solution and he just needs 4 more years, so I asked them what he will do differently given another 4 years and why he isn't doing it already, and the answer was that he lets / wants this to happen because it helps him win the re-election. Do you agree with that? I ask, because if its true, then maybe some of the organizers are from Trump campaign and they do it to improve Trump's chances. If you can use that to blame and demonize the opposing party to improve your chances, then that would be "deep state" with a capital "D".
Did you see the statement released by Biden the day of or after the shooting? You want someone to blame? Blame the guy that clearly put cops in jeopardy by blaming them. He is the one that emboldened the rioters and condemned the cops.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:52 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
That's what the right relies on during campaign year. Massive fear mongering campaigns to tell people they are in grave danger, Democrats are the enemy and that the Republican party is there to save them from certain destruction.

You seem to suggest Republicans are powerless to deal with it (until Nov 4, which is when something magical will happen), while Dems could make this stop by the snap of their fingers, but lets take a look at Kenosha.

1. Police is out in force
2. Curfew has been declared
3. Rubber bullets are used
4. Tear gas is used
5. Armored vehicles are utilized
6. National Guard has been called in + a new round of re-reinforcements

But riots continue.......like they did in the 1960s

So, considering the above, how are Dems failing in their response and what would Republicans do differently?

Maybe some things are not quite as partisan as you have been told.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Your six points are not entirely accurate. There are many videos of last night with no one getting arrested, not a cop in sight. There are not enough guardsmen there.
They are accurate, and as I mentioned they are asking for more NG troops. And you seeing a video with no cop in it is somehow supposed to prove nothing is being done.

They are doing what they can.

Is it fair to say the Marines in Hue did nothing, because they could not take the city in one day? No, the task at hand required multiple days, and same is true in Kenosha. It might take a while.

Stop believing the propaganda claiming nothing is being done. You are being played big time.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
My opinion is based on my personal experience in Chicago in the '60's. That being focusing on jobs in those affected areas. Today we have a particularly bad job situation with the Pandemic, so summer activism and then rioting is substantially worsened.

Back then I worked for the Saxon Paint and Hardware company. The owner Al Saks, I learned decades later, was a local liberal activist. He had dozens of stores mainly in the Chicago area. And what he did was to go into distressed, primarily Black areas. He met with the locals, and found distressed business properties to renovated and install his stores. Using local labor as much as possible. We had a few riots in some of those areas from time to time. And what happened was that the locals, and our Black employees protected the properties. I recall only one window broken at one store.

So this may be part of an answer.
Working with the locals?

Yes, that it the answer.

Unfortunately currently they are treated like enemies, and the reaction is predictable.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:58 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,556,144 times
Quote:
Stop believing the propaganda claiming nothing is being done.
Something was done, by the kid who defended himself by shooting one of the attacking terrorists in the head. Hopefully more will be done.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Did you see the statement released by Biden the day of or after the shooting? You want someone to blame? Blame the guy that clearly put cops in jeopardy by blaming them. He is the one that emboldened the rioters and condemned the cops.
The video, where he shoots a guy in the back 7 times condemned him. The investigation is still pending, but it seems likely the judge and the jury will also condemn him and put him away for murder. That incident was very bad timing, and everyone knew it was gasoline on the fire.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The "wisdom" of a liberal-

Let the anarchists burn, loot, rape and murder. Maybe they will get tired of it! This is why the dems will lose the November elections, as NO ONE, regardless of previous political affiliation, wants anarchy delivered to their neighborhoods. The dems have gone too far and made a very big miscalculation.

And yes- the national guard did prevent MANY structures from being burned during the Vietnam War. I lived in a large university town then and saw the direct results of the national guard preventing structures from being destroyed.

After a few of the anarchists get killed, they will scale back their rioting. MOST of these rioters are spoiled white suburban rich kids who will run with the sound of gunfire. Wisconsin has already shown us that.
1968 was a tough, tough year, following a decade of civil unrest and change, civil rights, Vietnam, political assassinations and the obvious emerging generation gap.

MLK was assassinated in April, 1968 which triggered even more substantial civil unrest, which was met by force throughout the US. The Nixon campaign focused on a Law and Order theme and capitalized on the fear that rioting black people and GD hippies were going to come to every town, USA.

Robert Kennedy was assassinated in June, 1968.

Anti war protesters gathered to protest the 1968 Democrat Convention in Chicago. The use of heavy- handed force by the Chicago police during the convention was televised.

The race riots burnt out and the eventual withdrawal of troops from Vietnam and end of the draft ended the anti- war movement.

I do not understand municipal reluctance to use state National Guard when civil unrest is imminent or in progress. I do appreciate it takes time to assemble and sometimes that is precious time.

Civil unrest And more property damage persisted for the third evening in Kenosha, Wisconsin, despite the curfew and state National Guard.

Old 08-26-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Something was done, by the kid who defended himself by shooting one of the attacking terrorists in the head. Hopefully more will be done.
Would you mind going to spam someone else's thread with all the off-topic nonsense?

Old 08-26-2020, 10:05 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,556,144 times
Quote:
Would you mind going to spam someone else's thread with all the off-topic nonsense?
It was absolutely an on-topic comment, I was supporting your idea that something was being done to fight back against your Marxist terrorist friends. The 17 year old kid did so by shooting them since the police and National Guard had their hands tied by terrorist supporting Democrats.

You should just say "thank you" for the support and move along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies