Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2020, 11:06 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
The only way I would not support such measures is if they get rid of eminent domain along with it. A tactic that many wealthy individuals, including Trump, has used in my neck of the woods. Much of it was borderline theft and abuse.

If wealthy want the option of leveraging government's ability to declare eminent domain then I see no reason why government shouldn't provide "fair" housing.

If you want big government to stay out of housing... then they should also stay out of eminent domain business as well.
What's imminent domain have to do with government using public funds to put crazy and criminally inclined people next door in your neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2020, 11:08 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBrainTalksToMe View Post
Gaslighting
Pointing out a rather biased statement is now gaslighting? Ok then, lol.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Wow, racist much? Only ethnic minorities are in low income housing?
I didn't say that, I said the reason that right wingers use it as a talking point. You're gaslighting me

Old 11-02-2020, 11:11 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Low income housing is another word for urban housing projects. Every single one of them were run down crime infested sh**holes here in San Francisco. Most have been torn down over the years because of what I described.
And it didn't make things better getting rid of them. It just caused the low income individuals to become homeless or have to leave the Bay Area

Old 11-02-2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I didn't say that, I said the reason that right wingers use it as a talking point. You're gaslighting me
You making BS up. You state something incorrect, no basis, implying only minorities are in low income housing, when in fact many non minorities are also. For example, almost 50% of section 8 housing is occupied by whites. Every single person that lives in and around this stuff, and in white areas, knows section 8 has a lot of white people, so there is no way on Earth someone could be opposed to it just due to race, that is 100% BS.

Your bias shows in that you think this is a minority thing only, thus the opposition, when in fact it has nothing to do with race. But as a good leftist, when you cannot debate policy, pull out the race card, because in your mind, your idea is so great, no one could ever be opposed to it except due to discriminatory reasons.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:19 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
What's imminent domain have to do with government using public funds to put crazy and criminally inclined people next door in your neighborhood?
People have used eminent domain to force people out of their housing to provide to private development of which are owned by private wealthy individuals. That is no different and equally criminal.

I happen to know plenty of low income people that are not crazy nor criminally inclined. My neighborhood was historically a mix of blue collar and lower income families that built a decent town. It would be better off without the influx of wealth/affluent as what made my town special and quaint is slowly fading...

Old 11-02-2020, 11:25 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
People have used eminent domain to force people out of their housing to provide to private development of which are owned by private wealthy individuals. That is no different and equally criminal.

I happen to know plenty of low income people that are not crazy nor criminally inclined. My neighborhood was historically a mix of blue collar and lower income families that built a decent town. It would be better off without the influx of wealth/affluent as what made my town special and quaint is slowly fading...
I'm not talking about low income people but the people in subsidized housing who otherwise couldn't be in the neighborhood. They are crazy, and eye, ear and nose sore with all the pot smoking and criminally inclined.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
As a minority, I can vouch that it is often seen as an aspect minority life to live in low income housing. Not denying whites live there too. But if we wanted to dogwhistle about white folks, we’d scare people by saying “They’re gonna build low income trailer parks near your home”.

If you wanna take race out of it, it’s still classism. “We don’t want to be near filthy peasants”.m

Often Dogwhistles are a way bigots can get their points across without actually saying what they mean.

Look up a famous lee atwater quite about the N-word and how it’s no longer popular so you use terms like “states rights” etc. so you pass lawa that affect blacks more than whites by basing it on a talking point without being direct.
Then take race out of it. I live in a majority minority area, Miami, and none of us want that stuff around us either. Has zero to do with race. Crying "racism" in my opinion is the dog gaslighting or whatever want to call it.

Fact is, people strive to get away from poor areas, they buy/rent more than they can afford or right at what they can afford, they are motivated to get the hell away from poor/ghetto areas. You got some family dropping half a million on condo because of where it is at, now here comes the gov and now next door are people who are paying a fraction of that.

I worked for 30 years to get where I am at, took the risks, worked my rear off, and so what now, the gov thinks some poor people should live next to me? And because why?

Poor areas suck because of the people, period. If they do not even want to live around others like them, why would others want to?

Old 11-02-2020, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I'm not talking about low income people but the people in subsidized housing who otherwise couldn't be in the neighborhood..
We are talking about the same people... demographic... you just don't realize it.

As housing rises and displaced by wealth.... those families that now need subsidized housing are not necessarily families being relocated into an area from another. Some have always been here.

And no.. they aren't all pot smoking and criminals. There are plenty of pot heads in the upper classes of people...btw.

Old 11-02-2020, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Poor areas suck because they’re neglected and separated from the rest of the city. Their schools are poorly funded and managed, the officers are more about harassing than protecting, and there’s less education and employment. Add drugs and a war on said drugs, and now you got todays problems with poor areas.

Incorporate low income housing near the same resources and amenities as higher income people, aswell as less neglected streets, you get more well rounded low income folks that don’t feel alienated.

Poor people don’t inherently suck, but people that feel alienated and desperate can grow to be less than desirable people.

Rich people need to understand that less fortunate people are still people.
THIS ^

I happen to grow up in a low income family but made it to middle upper income. I had opportunities that many were not privy to. I still have many ties to old friends and family in low income bracket.

Low income in of itself isn't the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies