Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 04:48 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,501,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
No, but they should not have to live in squalor, which is what a minimum wage job gets you around here.
Maybe, if a single person with a low-skilled job insists on living alone. But two people can rent a modest 2-bedroom apartment and share, or perhaps the single person can rent a room in someone’s house. (That’s what many of my friends and family did when they were starting out.)

What’s so bad about renting a room in a house until the low-skilled person gets some additional career training and can move up? Minimum wage was never intended to be a life-long situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 06:28 AM

2,400 posts, read 754,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I would prefer robots did those jobs, which is probably going to happen.
When the robots and power supplies for them are perfected is when the gates cities go up with well armed men manning them. I don’t know if I will live to see it but it’s coming. Just like the medieval days.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:34 AM

29,470 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
And here's the thing that most other industrialized nations have understood a long time ago--if these jobs paid a living wage, then the people earning them would not be low-income. If everyone could earn enough in a single eight-hour-a-day job, then poverty would be slashed and income tax payments would go down not quite proportionally to the drop in government aid payments and subsidies.

Additionally in other countries, universal health care is more of a service and is not a pay-as-you-go expense for which people must insure themselves to plan for unforeseen accidents and illnesses. That is not likely to happen in this country, where health insurance is only available at a reasonable cost through full-time employment, which leads to employers of these foundational services to ensure that they never qualify for benefits. As long as low-income earners are effectively locked out of employer-based health insurance, there will be conditions that led to the creation of Medicaid.

I don't know what it looks like in the rest of the country, but from where I sit in Mississippi, it looks a lot like economic and social slavery without the receipt from the market giving you the power of life and death over the person you just bought.

Remember my point. Without low income there would be no low-income earners. In this the land of the free and the home of the brave, the land of plenty blessed so much, a hard-working person at a valuable job should not be relegated to a life of inordinate struggle, just because he doesn't have what it takes to work a job requiring more wherewithal. The person who cleans your toilets, or prepares your food, or carries away your refuse should deserve a wage that will allow him to live in a neighborhood where his children can get the same quality of education that you want for your children. That is what I want my America to look like.
Fast food jobs were never meant to be careers. We had plenty of well paying jobs for the lower and middle classes. Currently people in Mexico, China and India are doing them. That ship sailed many years ago, and we are seeing how the shift to a "service industry" is working out for us. We should have listened to Ross Perot.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:35 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I prefer putting them on trains and sending them to farms to pick crops for their keep.

American capitalism always was based on forced slave labor, huh? Get rich on backs of others doing actual work. Whats a good slave on your plantation go for anymore?

Old 08-28-2020, 06:43 AM

29,470 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Interesting video, thanks for sharing.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:50 AM

2,400 posts, read 754,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
American capitalism always was based on forced slave labor, huh? Get rich on backs of others doing actual work. Whats a good slave on your plantation go for anymore?
What’s your plan? Oh that’s right we are living it right now. Thousands of unemployed/unemployable people burning our cities every time a cop farts in their direction. Well played.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:57 AM

6,976 posts, read 2,701,111 times
Quote:
No, but they should not have to live in squalor, which is what a minimum wage job gets you around here.
When I first graduated from college in 1986, me and four others from school rented a house in Vienna, VA until we progressed in our careers to be able to afford to live on our own.

Old 08-28-2020, 07:08 AM

23,972 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
So are you saying those type of people are all drug users, lowlifes and generally people who commit acts of crime? How very privileged of you......

It is an undeniable fact that Section 8 housing is riddled with crime and drug use. Instead of dealing with this issue and taking away such housing from those who live this lifestyle we take good people, often the elderly and disabled and shove them into the same communities with the lowlives who always manage to also get on these type of social welfare benefits. The democrats somehow think moving them to suburbia will make them better people. It's delusional. What we need is a system that will separate the people who just want to live in peace in communities away from the lowlives. Not one that just moves the lowlives along with everyone else into the suburbs.
Speaking of privileged, you are on a pretty high horse yourself.

The drug use that affects my environment through many years of observation is mood altering drugs among suburban housewives. It colors they way they maneuver through traffic.

The lines at the local food banks inform me that many suburban dwellers are one paycheck away from destitution. And from the comments on Next Door, there are plenty of those working from home taking advantage of the free lunches provided for low income people. They even get enough prepared food to pass it out in the neighborhood. IMO, they are stealing from the taxpayers, too.

Is cheating on ones taxes illegal? Which is worse, some guy stealing your tires off your pick up or another guy sitting in Wells Fargo bank making low income people pay fees they do not owe?

IMO, crime in suburbia is just as toxic. They just look like me so there is no reason to be afraid of them.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
In Communism, a person does not own or have a say in the property they once owned outright.

Old 08-28-2020, 08:18 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

You'd benefit from that, wouldn't you, Kavalier? Don't bite the hand that feeds you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies